Gone to the Dark Side - have mixed feelings

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by dfury7, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Takamine

Takamine Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Goshen, Indiana
    We went from a very basic pup to a 26' box. My only regret was not doing it years before. We spend a lot of time outdoors, but when it's time to come in, it's nice to have all the comforts and storage that the TT offers. It's also a great place for a Sunday afternoon nap when it's parked at home.

xxxapache and Ductape like this.
  2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Your real man-cave at home.

Takamine likes this.
  3. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    Congrats on your new TT, for us, moving from our pup to a New TT was worth it. I found that the pluses far outweighs the minuses. We are almost 6 yrs into our TT now and it has been absolutely worth it. Especially when we got caught in heavy storms and yet stayed completely dry. We still use the campsite facilities and reserve the on board bathroom for emergencies and night time use to save on water and help from filling up the black tank during our camping trips since we dry camp most of the time.

4. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    We thought our PUP was the Bees Knees and viewed TTs, HTTs, and MHs as too much maintenance and trouble. After owning our Jayco TT for a year now, we would not return to a PUP. The set up and weather issues alone make it a much better choice for us.

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    After our last trip of this year my wife and talked about a TT or motorhome. After discussing prices of motorhomes that is not doable at this time in our lives (maybe in about 10 years). Anyway, we did discuss a TT, maybe 15-19 feet. We are both getting older and each year it's getting a little harder to setup. The biggest reason is our cold weather trips. The DW is having issues with being out in the cold so long with the pup. At least the TT is more insulated and gives her a chance to go inside and warm up and it's much better sleeping at night.

As for our TV, it's a 2012 Ford Explorer (5,000 tow limit), but having a TT I realize the frontal area of a TT put's more stress on the TV and the driver. So with us if we do get a new TT, we will more likely get a new TV. Either pickup truck or full size SUV.

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Coping with the cold is much easier in the TT, I don't handle it as well as I did in the past. As with the pups, if we know it's going to be near or below freezing, we try to find a campsite with power. Using the electric mattress pad and a space heater (at times) to supplement the furnace is very helpful. I like the layout of our TT, except for the fact the bathroom blocks heat/cool from the left front corner. (We used a small fan over Thanksgiving, we needed to use the a/c with unseasonable temps in the '80s, it was 90 when we set up.)
    The effect of frontal and side sail areas of the TT is what forced us from the 2005 4Runner. The 2017 we tow with now is much nicer than even the 2015 Colorado we had for a while. (long saga, glad to be rid of the lemon).

7. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The current specs for the equivalent of our Retro 177 list the ceiling height as 6'5". It is a bit less at the front and back curve, but there really isn't a place to stand there in ours. Some of the 180s models list 6'8". That's one of the reasons we decided not to go with the Casita, which friends have and love. IIRC, that ceiling is 5'10".

9. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    I went from a pup with ac/power roof to a 31 foot TT. towing is different. I would not say its easier. I had a learning curve when I got the pup and had to have the save learning curve with the TT. Its like moving from a small car to a suv with a pup. I had some issues there too.

I think your TV might need some help as mostly when people say pup is easy is manage is more to do with the fact pup are lighter and the most TV do not get effected by it. That caraven needs airbags the the minimum or some helper springs. once done your towing experience will be better.

Never understood the whole TT is nicer inside so you spend more time inside. We camp from early spring with frost and a little dusting of snow to till snow flies in the TT. things I could not do with the pup. so when you camp more days how do you spend more time inside as more camping eventually leads to more time outside. Usually said by campers in California and other nice weather place. I live in newengland and the weather is so unpredictable.

I know people who pull their small r pod from FL to Mass with there ford explorer for a quite a few years.

kitphantom likes this.
  10. Halford

Sep 28, 2011

Most popups weights around or over 3500 lbs (max weight) and it does greatly affect TV without tow package. Ford Explorer without tow package cannot tow over 2000 lbs without damaging the transmission and engine. With the tow package the Explorers can tow up to 5,000 lbs (including food and passengers).

There are some popups that weight over 4000 lbs that I wouldn't want to tow it with my Explorer although it has tow package. its cutting it too close and I want to keep my Explorers for years.

11. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Mine is a non tow packaged explorer. I was rated for 2000 lbs. I did tow a heavy naigara pup fully loaded inside. I locked the over drive out with manual gears and used a brake controller.
    I still putting around in the same explorer with 145k with no issues . I even had bicycle on the roof of the explorer 5 people on some tows. We did camp a lot but the longest we ever went was 150 miles from home. The guy who tows the small r pod does have the tow package and the r pod is 3000 lbs

12. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    That was what I said with my previous Explorer without tow package. I added transmission cooler but not engine cooler. The radiator was not thick like those with tow package. I added air bags for rear axle to support the towing. the explorer died around 230,000 miles. Now I have Explorer with tow package, and I expect it to last over 300,000 miles without major repairs. That does make huge difference.

13. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Well my wife used the lack of tow package feature and ended up getting a tundra . then we went to a TT.

14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Holy cow! You tow that with a mini-van? [?:~{][?:~{] It must be seriously light weight! Just out of curiosity, do you mind sharing the towing specs on your TT and TV?

EDIT: I was too curious to wait and looked up the specs. While this is a super light weight TT - I was shocked to see it weighs no more than a HW pup, your Caravan is still not a good match for it. Proceed with caution.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    kitphantom likes this.
  15. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    a Mini-Van towing a TT? are you sure?