Good wire location for USB/voltmeter?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by MaeKay, Dec 5, 2017.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    We have a new to us 2005 Viking Epic 2308 and Hope to install this voltmeter/usb Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748DPQ3J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5YKjAb0CBQDE2

Does this look like a good location to add a wire to run to a new voltmeter/USB socket? Arrow is where the black/white wires come in from the battery. It then appears to head up the canvas to the roof. I assume it’s to power the lights?

6EFEBEBF-8942-46BF-9CCA-F8B87FD619DE.jpeg

We want to extend a set of wires from just under the dinette storage (with an in-line 5amp fuse) just to the outside of the u-shaped dinette and install a voltmeter/usb/12V/switch setup there. Is this a good wire to extend from?
    19CD4ACE-7F1D-4429-A371-50F06520D4FA.jpeg

The 5amp in-line fuse should protect our devices from getting fried, correct?

What gauge wire should I run?

Will this location have enough power to charge two iphones? Or does that wire connect to something like the refrigerator or furnace fan?

Is there a way to connect an additional line without cutting and reconnecting the original wire?

We switched the 3 overhead lights to LED lights so that should draw less power.

The fuse box is near the back bunk and doesn’t have room for more fuses anyway.

Any other advice you can give a total newbie? (Other than to call an electrician, something that’s not really a priority in our budget right now...) I’ve been reading through the wiring forum trying to learn as much as possible but i’m not sure what these particular wires mean in our particular model.

Thanks for the help! We’re hoping to go camping this weekend and would feel safer in this cold if we knew how much power our battery had left.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Katskamper likes this.
  2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    That is probably the wires going to your overhead lights. I think it would be fine. I would use the same gauge wire that came with your kit, you can get that at Walmart in auto section and some connectors and crimping tool. Being that close to your battery you may consider running the wires to the battery itself.

I am sure others will chime in on advice. Good Luck!

3. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Thanks! The kit came with the blue plastic crimper things (so technical...ask me about botany instead) but no wires. I didn’t think to look at the plastic things to see what gauge wires they could accept. I just arrived at Lowe’s now. I’ll see what they have and then I might stop by Walmart again. (I hate that store but I’m there monthly.)

4. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Thousand Oaks CA
    On my old Carmel, I wired in a fuse block directly to the battery (https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...sr=8-4&keywords=fuse+block&tag=popupportal-20) with 6g wire. That gave me 6 empty slots to power 2 separate 12v cigarette lighter plugs, 2 usb charge ports, a volt meter, and a switched fridge fan.

Here's a link to the original post:
    http://www.popupportal.com/threads/list-of-mods-performed-by-rookie-huge-thanks.90616/
    Doing it this way makes is a little more difficult up front, but gives you great access to slots for more power later (Mwaaaahaaaaahaaa!) and makes troubleshooting later much easier. Label all the circuits, everything is fused, and if one goes bad, you don't have to do a lot of monkeying around to fix (find) it.

I had to drill a hole in the floor to bring in the wire, but it was well worth it. The family I sold it to greatly appreciated having plugs/charge ports.
    I didn't need to add a fuse block to my new to me Niagara because the converter had 6 or 8 empty slots, some of which I have filled with 12v ports, usb chargers, voltmeter, a real battery monitor, all on their own circuits.

MaeKay likes this.
  5. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    I love that idea!

6. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    yours has 2 dinettes?!
    did you get it installed? i have most of the same questions!

7. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Yes, it had two dinettes but the table was so low it was hard to get in and out from. We ended up selling that trailer and buying a bigger one that better fit our needs. So we never did figure out how or where to put the wires.

On our new trailer we discovered the previous owners had sort of installed one so we just used their wires to install our own. It works nicely! Charged my phone super quickly.

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I too want to add a couple of the USB Charging positions in my off-road popup. I picked up a couple of these 12VDC USB Panels with ON-OFF switch from AMAZON
    [​IMG]

I have two locations in my POPUP floorplan where I have the multi-port 120VAC Extension cord heads that is supplied by my installed 600WATT PSW Power Inverter that is always ON. We most often are camping off grid and this gives me 120VAC to run my home entertainment items and my carry on computer/tablets etc chargers... My other built-in 120VAc receptacles are only powered up when I am on Shore Power or generator.

Always nice to have additional sources for 12VDC around the trailer...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I already have an added 12VDC Distribution Panel for my Radio Comms ops that has a large cable running to my battery bank so i will use this to run my add-on USB charger port I just picked up...
    [​IMG]

Forgot to add I got some of this BOAT CABLE from Amazon that has two conductors 12GA RED-BLK and a good outside protective cover. Great for running 12VDC around your trailer...
    [​IMG]
    Roy ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  9. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    [QUOTE="roybraddy, post: 1189289, member: 82722

Always nice to have additional sources for 12VDC around the trailer...

[​IMG]

Roy ken
    [/QUOTE]
    I like your diagram. I have a battery compartment, but no battery. I know this is something that I need to get later, but I figure the small generator from HF would work for now. I also have a small propane tank and have wondered if that will be enough.

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I like your diagram. I have a battery compartment, but no battery. I know this is something that I need to get later, but I figure the small generator from HF would work for now. I also have a small propane tank and have wondered if that will be enough.[/QUOTE]

MAMIE - If you have the M820 Flagstaff POPUP that is pretty big trailer to be running without a battery. Keep in mind if it has Electric Brakes installed most States require those to be used and the Battery is there to operate those brakes in the event the towed trailer becomes disconnected from the truck going down public highways. The is a DOT required safety feature... This could be something to go against you Insurance wise if something like this happens and causes lots of damage or worse loss of life etc... Here in VA we have a required Annual Safety Inspection for the POPUP trailers that are towed over public roadways and get issued a safety Inspection Sticker just like on vehicles... They always look for things like this haha... ALso If you have Electric brakes installed you also have to have a working Brake Controller setup as well...

Sample google photo showing Inspection Sticker on trailer...
    [​IMG]

Just something to check on in your state.... I found out all about this when I applied for a permanent tag for my trailer...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]