Goshen Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Jack Gregory, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Jack Gregory

Jack Gregory New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    U.S. - South Carolina
    Hello,

I recently bought an 85 Scamper with a Goshen Lift System as a project. Long story short, there was a problem with the lift...front spring and 1 front lift post was damaged. According to the guy I bought it from, someone tried to crank it up with one of the latches still closed.

I've replaced the spring and post and everything worked fine until tonight when I put the roof back on. At the moment, the front is not lifting at all and the back does does retract all the way unless I physically push it down.

Any suggestions on what I should do next. I was thinking my next step would be to reinstall the front sping to see if that helps. BTW, the winch seems to work fine.

Thanks,
    Jack

2. Dusty road

Dusty road Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Conneaut, Ohio
    I've not had that problem, mine went back together okay. My suggestion is to call Goshen stamping and ask. The front desk girls know all the lift systems, helped me a ton.

3. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Sounds like there is a problem with the cable?
    Did you pull the whole system apart to lube it.
    If you haven't and it was a fixer upper, I suggest you do that to check the rest of the components are undamaged and fitted correctly.
    They may have said one thing and actually done another!

4. Jack Gregory

Jack Gregory New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    U.S. - South Carolina
    Thanks to both of you for the reply. I took your advice and called Goshen. They really do know their stuff. She thinks with all the trouble I was having, I might have damaged my main cable so I will replace that and lube it really good. I'd rather do that at home than to get it working again only for it to fail while on a trip. Again...thanks for the advice.

5. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    No Problems Jack,
    I have just changed my cable and winch (From electric to manual).
    It is reasonably easy, but extremely messy.
    If you can lay a cheap ground sheet over the drive or ground where you are going to do the work. (reasonably large)
    It will make sure when it is all greased and you start assembling, it does not get all the grit and rubbish caught in the grease while you are putting everything back in.
    While you have the springs out of the Master Tube, I recommend you give them a once over to make sure they are all OK.

6. Jack Gregory

Jack Gregory New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    U.S. - South Carolina
    Thanks! I planned to go through everything realy well while I had it apart.

7. Dusty road

Dusty road Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Conneaut, Ohio
    One tip. Find a YouTube video on your winch make and model and watch it. The Goshen instructions for winding the cable onto the winch are wrong and will mess you up. The rest of the instructions pertaining to the spring tubes and the cable are fine.

8. Jack Gregory

Jack Gregory New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    U.S. - South Carolina
    Well, it seems we have finally figured out the issues I was having with my lift system. I spoke to the ladies at Goshen and they were extremely helpful. The problem was the database for parts. My year and model had two sets of specs in it. One for a normal Skamper and another for the 14 ft Skamper like I have. The first set of springs were for the shorter version as was the cable I ordered. I now have the correct springs showing up Thursday so I should get my lift system working properly now. New cables, new springs, a good bit of grease and I think I'll have a reliable system pretty soon. The other advantage to all this is that I'm pretty experienced with how the lift system works so won't feel as hesitant about diving in and taking it apart if I should run into other problems. I think I've taken it apart about 6 times now including my mistakes. Thanks again for your advice and help.

9. Jack Gregory

Jack Gregory New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    U.S. - South Carolina
    Now that that is out of the way....would a combo oil based paint and primer work for repainting the exterior of the camper??

10. Dusty road

Dusty road Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Conneaut, Ohio
    Any paint or coating needs to be able to expand and contract. For the roof, guys have been using a roll on bed liner called grizzly grip.