Graduation from driveway to campground

Discussion in 'Camp Driveway' started by Lug_Nut, May 10, 2017.

1. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Member

May 29, 2016
    Mt. Wachusett area, MA
    After multiple set-up and fold-down dry-runs, a couple of patch / reinforcements added to thin canvas, some electrical, plumbing, and lift cable repairs, several nights of sleeping in the driveway, a solo one night "beta-test" where I towed a few hours, set-up in a field, spend the day and night to return home the next day, I think that the well used, but new-to-us, 1991 Starcraft is again ready for a real campground stint.
    We have the pop-up packed, the reservation confirmed, and will be on the road tomorrow morning to a state park. The park's in another state, but this being tiny New England, it's just an hour away.
    We've crawled (driveway camping), think we're ready to walk (this trip), and then come June we hope to be ready to run.

Tracy D. and Natureangel like this.
  2. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Jul 22, 2014
    Enjoy the adventure. Life is short.

3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    hope it all goes well. We too are headed out this weekend (and praying that the weatherman is wrong).

4. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Franklin, NC
    Have fun!

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Good luck, and enjoy!!

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    You will be glad for the time you spent learning the in's and outs of your unit. Good luck on the camping trip and most important is have a ball.

7. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Member

May 29, 2016
    Mt. Wachusett area, MA
    A pretty good shake-down, all in all. We did find a few items we'd not thought to bring (like something sharper than a butter knife, a hammer for the awning pegs), identified a couple of non-essentials (wastebasket, dustbuster-sized vacuum), determined the hitch wheel isn't enough support and that corner stabilizers at that end of the box are wanted, and that a larger area awning was a desire.
    Practice, practice.... I'll make a few adjustments, then we'll do another local overnight or two, but the driveway bit really made this first real foray a lot more enjoyable than had we just hit the road.
    20170511_170237.jpg

8. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
  9. SHFL

SHFL Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Florida
    I'm glad you had a good trip.
    You may want to get a canopy for the picnic table -- that way you don't have to move it under your awning.