Grizzly Grip Roof Repair

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by rmckenna, May 10, 2017.

1. rmckenna

rmckenna New Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Farmingdale, Maine
    I'm in the process of fixing some cracks on my Coleman ABS roof and was wondering if people used the "Fine or Course" Grizzly Grip for their roofs.

2. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    We used the fine texture.

3. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Fine aliphatic is what you should use. However, I suggest you read the fix it threads, people have found newer, possibly better solutions to coating a ABS roof.

4. GR456

GR456 New Member

May 15, 2017
    We used the fine texture Grizzly Grip, but as I mentioned in another post, had issues with the rollers they sent with the kit (ordered April 2017). I suggest you have some 3/8 nap paint rollers on standby in case you have similar issues using theirs. The new black texture rollers they sent don't break down like apparently the old blue ones did if you overwork the product, but they did not give us the control or application of the product we were looking for (were not the ones pictured on the website either). They seemed to sling the product everywhere but on the camper roof, wasted a bunch, and didn't seem to spread it around at all either. In the end we used 3/8 nap "no-shed" paint rollers on the second coat and could've kicked ourselves for how much better they worked for us. Wish you the best of luck!

5. sail235aeh

sail235aeh New Member

May 17, 2017
    Just finished on a 2000 Niagara. Removed entire skin and bodyworked/Bondo/fiberglassed low spots. Had no trouble with grizzly grip black rollers. Overall very happy with result. Just have to install the new seal and she's ready to go !

6. sail235aeh

sail235aeh New Member

May 17, 2017
    2000 niagara. Just did the same using grizzly grip fine. No problems with the black rollers. Peeled off the entire shell. Very happy with results !

7. ghotiking

ghotiking New Member

Apr 21, 2017
    DFW, TX, USA
    Good to know I'm a week or so out from doing the same - I patched the inside with JB weld and planning on bondo on the outside.

rmckenna I just ordered my grizzly grip, I just called them directly and they said I needed fine texture. Aliphatic, their 4x6 kit which they said should be enough for my ~80 sq ft or so (8x7 roof + sides and ends)

8. Grizz747

Grizz747 New Member

Jul 22, 2017
    I peeled the skin, used some bondo for some dings and just sanded the whole shell with an industrial scotch bright pad. I am going to wipe the whole top down with acetone. Am I missing any steps?

9. ghotiking

ghotiking New Member

Apr 21, 2017
    DFW, TX, USA
    If you're using grizzly grip then you need to primer the bondo and any bare metal. I just use rustoleum primer that works on metal. Some Other bedliners prefer bare metal, no paint

10. ezakoske

ezakoske Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Such as what?

11. Grizz747

Grizz747 New Member

Jul 22, 2017
    I already have the Grizzly Grip. I will Primer it tomorrow morning. I plan on doing it tomorrow and Monday. It is all prepped and ready to go.

12. ghotiking

ghotiking New Member

Apr 21, 2017
    DFW, TX, USA
    Cool. I'd recommend a few things after my experience: 1) WELL ventilated area with a box or shop fan blowing, 2) long sleeves, I had white splatters for a week, and clothes you are ok trashing 3) eye protection, 4) backup paint rollers in case you work too slow and the ones from the kit start to disintegrate.

I was really happy with how mine turned out. Yet to be tested by torrential downpour but it sure looks good. Happy fixin!!

ezakoske likes this.
  13. Fless

Fless Active Member

Got done doing mine last weekend with fine aliphatic. I had repaired the ABS with MEK/pellets and fiberglass over the past several years and was able to do two coats over that; some places have three coats. I had 8 quarts and decided to use it all since it goes bad within a month or so in the bottles. Also put on a new gasket.

I didn't like the black roller that came with the GG, so I went to Home Depot and bought a couple of 9" rollers that are made for solvents. There was only one nap, so not much selection but it worked out good. I cut the first one in half and used it on a 4" roller handle, but used both 4" and 9" rollers on the second coat.

Since I'm in Colorado we don't usually have much humidity, and low humidity extends the GG cure time. I had to wait a day before even thinking about applying the next coat. More humidity = faster cure. YMMV.

Hope yours turns out as good as mine did!
    _

14. Grizz747

Grizz747 New Member

Jul 22, 2017
    I have some exposed foam from removing the ABS. Do I need to do anything with it? Also should I rough up the rest or wipe with Acetone or both. I completely removed ABS.

15. Grizz747

Grizz747 New Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Thanks for the advice. I will be working outside. I have a respirator and Tyvek suit and glasses.

16. Sammy Girl

Sammy Girl New Member

Sep 27, 2016
    I will be working outside, too. Do I still need the respirator?

17. Grizz747

Grizz747 New Member

Jul 22, 2017
    I would. I bought one on Amazon for around $20. Also wear old shoes mine got paint all over. I was real happy with how the job came out. Respirator

18. Fless

Fless Active Member

@Sammy Girl, the Grizzly Grip aliphatic fine coating instructions mention only applying in a well-ventilated area and NOT in direct sunlight. No respirator is mentioned. I did mine in an open garage and, although the odor was fairly strong, I didn't experience any immediate negative physical effects. It wouldn't hurt to use one, though, depending on how you feel about it. Note that it cures better with MORE humidity.
    _