GVWR 4700 lbs - Opinion On PUP Size

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by FlyfisherBob, Aug 11, 2017.

1. FlyfisherBob

FlyfisherBob Member

Aug 8, 2017
    San Jose,Ca
    Hello,

Our TV: 2015 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2WD , GVWR is 4700, been checking online the Fleetwood Niagara 2004-07 the specs. avg. GVW is 3200lbs.....

Will it work? If so cool..... If not why?

Thanks in advance to all!

Towing Capacity is 3500lbs

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Is the 4700 the towing capacity for the frontier? I tried to look it up, but there appears to be a range depending on your vehicle. I tow a fleetwood Utah a sister unit to the Niagra with my 4Runner with a tow capacity of 5000 and have no problems. The Utah has pretty much the same GVWR as the Niagra. Even got to test it in the mountains (east coast mountains) and outside a little slow down on some of the more steeper inclines kept to speed.

3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    I would say you are safe; however, ti all depends on how much is actually loaded into the king cab and the trailer.

4. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    No, that sounds like the GVWR for the pre-HW Niagaras, the HW Niagaras have a GVWR of either 3770 or 3970 lbs depending on the year.

5. FlyfisherBob

FlyfisherBob Member

Aug 8, 2017
    San Jose,Ca

TE="mstrbill, post: 1152311, member: 43803"]No, that sounds like the GVWR for the pre-HW Niagaras, the HW Niagaras have a GVWR of either 3770 or 3970 lbs depending on the year.[/QUOTE]

I checked out NADA and the Niagara 3933 weighs in at 3095, is there leeway here? Please be patient with me, as I'm just learning this stuff.....

I really appreciate all your help though!

6. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    You can go to the resources section here and pull the brochures for the years you are interested in. I am not sure what weight NADA uses, it's probably dry weight, which means no battery, no propane tanks, no awning or AC. I.e, basic camper with no options, on other campers this could mean no spare tire, no fridge, and no furnace.

7. FlyfisherBob

FlyfisherBob Member

Aug 8, 2017
    San Jose,Ca

Will do thanks

8. FlyfisherBob

FlyfisherBob Member

Aug 8, 2017
    San Jose,Ca
    Towing capacity is 3500 lbs, looks like that changes things...... huh!

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    . With that tow rating I wouldn't risk it. On some tow vehicles you may even need to deduct passengers and gear from the tow rating. You will need to double check your manual there to be sure.

10. FlyfisherBob

FlyfisherBob Member

Aug 8, 2017
    San Jose,Ca
    Yes, I did check out my manual....

My wife really like the hard wall shower....looks like we'll have to settle for shower with curtain, no biggy...., we'll have to go lighter in the GVWR trailer dept.

The POP with a curtain rod shower(non hardwall) the weight decreases a lot, because of the smaller/lighter features throughout the unit. We do love the king size bed though due to the fact that we have one at home so we just feel more comfortable with sleeping on one no matter where, even in motels.

So, I'll just check out lighter GVWR POP.....

11. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    So, the GVWR of the truck is less important here.

GVWR of the truck is important in that you don't want to exceed it when you add up the weight of the truck, passengers, cargo, and tongue weight.

The more important number for you to consider is the GCWR (gross combined weight rating). The GCWR is the maximum weight of the truck, passengers, cargo, and trailer. The GCWR should be in your owners manual.

This chart is taken from the 2015 Nissan Frontier USA owners manual:
    gcwr.JPG
    You mentioned you have a 3500lb tow capacity, which means you have a Kin Cab 2WD (4 cyl). According to this chart, you have a 7936lb GCWR. Now, according to the Nissan.ca website, the curb weight of a new Frontier King Cab 4-cyl is 3821lbs.

SO: Assuming two passengers weighing 180lbs each, and 500lbs of cargo in the back of the truck:

GCWR (7936lbs) - Curb Weight (3821lbs) - 2 Passengers (360lbs) - Cargo in truck (500lbs) = Actual Towing Capacity (3255lbs).

Therefore, with 2 passengers and 500lbs of cargo in the bed, you can tow a 3255lb trailer, maximum. Subtract cargo, and the trailer weight goes up. You'll also want to consider the GAWR of the rear axle of the truck. You'll want to go to a scale and weigh the rear axle when it has a full load of passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight, and make sure that it doesn't exceed the GAWR.

12. FlyfisherBob

FlyfisherBob Member

Aug 8, 2017
    San Jose,Ca

Great info "Great Big Abyss"......I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into this reply!

Happy camping my friend....