GVWR vs actual, do I need a new axle!?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by MNfamilycamper, May 2, 2018.

1. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Well Said^^

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Now if only we can teach the dealers this information. I would be surprised they didn't get someone killed yet. Those guys are still pushing the dry weight number as real weight. never mind the fact the campers are sporting every option out there, heavy options. I know it's up to the consumers to do their research but one would have thought they are professionals. [V]

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    please look at the OP's sticker and let US knowhow much cargo weight can be loaded?

One would need the dry weight to determine CCC!!!! (making CCC worthless!!!)

Furthermore if the OP's LRC tires are only rated for 1360 each then the GAWR is meaningless for tires of that capacity. Well, not meaningless but a reference to compare to.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    How do you figure his CCC would be worthless?? GVWR- (the worthless) dry weight will = the CCC (keep in mind you would then have to subtract the weight of any and all options, battery, awning, spare tire and propane tanks from the CCC calculated to get to a truer CCC OR Add all the mentioned items to the worthless dry weight to come up with the UVW .. Unloaded Vehicle Weight .. which gives you GVWR-UVW=CCC )

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    ^^cuz you use what yall call useless/worthless info to calculate it

What's the CCC of the OP's trailer?

tfischer likes this.
  6. jnc

40 pounds.

Snow likes this.
  7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    the Dry weight is worthless still.... the camper manufacturers figured it out for us by informing us the CCC valuable information and GVWR also valuable information to help us tow the camper safely. the Dealers or sellers try to deceive us by telling us that it is safe for us to tow campers that may NOT be safe to tow these certain campers. The dealers/sellers want to earn commission or earn points to get money in their pocket regardless its safe or not safe for buyers. An honest and knowledgeable salesperson WILL always use the GVWR and CCC information, not the dry weight. Its just the ignorant or greedy salespeople use dry weight information. Why do they do that? Because if your TV would not be able to tow the camper you want to buy, you will NOT buy it if you have the correct information. And the greedy salesperson will not get commission for being honest. Many of them do NOT care.

If the salesperson do not know the actual GVWR, how would they know what to tell you about the camper? They have not done their homework.

The thing is that we do not want to be ignorant on the weight issues. We CANNOT use dry weight at all. We use CCC and GVWR information. CCC is valuable for the axle and frames under camper while GVWR information is for the Tow Vehicle. to get accurate GVWR, go to weight scale at truck stops.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Funny but wrong.. AWR will equal or be a few pounds higher than the GVWR. .

Easy.. remove all his gear and his stuff and go get the trailer weighed. .

9. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    Yep... there are 2 kinds of dealer/salespeople:
    1. dumb, ignorant ones
    2. greedy ones.

Both use dry weight information...

Honest and smart ones use the GVWR information.

10. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    heheheheheheh

11. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    Coleman has valuable information called Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) and I looked up my 2002 Coleman Niagara and the CCC is 780 lbs. I did not even look at UVW or dry weight information.

12. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    I find the dry weight useful. I don't believe it to be 100% accurate, but I think it's in the ballpark. It is useful in determining what my actual weight is after I'm done packing. I can estimate the weight of everything I put in, plus anything I know was not included in my dry weight, and *viola*, I know about what my rig weighs.
    The trouble with GVWR is that there is no light or buzzer that tells you when you have hit that mark. Just because my trailer limit has a GVWR of 3000 pounds does not mean that I can't load it to 4000 pounds. Everyone packs different. Some tow with water, some don't. Using your GVWR as a way to determine if you are within your limits seems as foreign to me as my use of dry weight probably seems to a lot of you. But we can still be friends. :)
    One last thought... I also think its dangerous to load your trailer to its max capacity (GVWR). Seems like the type of number you'd want to stay south of.

13. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    Not funny but wrong!

OP's GWAR is less than the GVWR

This thread has nothing to do with dry weight cept for those that want to bring it up, the OP mistakenly read the GAWR as the actual weight. The GAWR is 40lb less than the GVWR which caused confusion to the OP.

14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    now note the TW that goes with the empty weight, something like 5% TW.
    You find one on the side of the road for sale stripped. Too bad you didn't bring some dead weight with ya for this bargain with new tires and brakes, no propane or battery, cuz 5% TW from the factory should be a crime IMO.

Again this has nothing to do with this thread as the OP was confused about GAWR being actual weight and it being just 40lbs less than GVWR.

15. jnc

One last thought... I also think its dangerous to load your trailer to its max capacity (GVWR). Seems like the type of number you'd want to stay south of. @chambo your right that is why knowing the GVWR is important not dry weight.

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario

Yes, AWR is lower then the GVWR, those 40 pounds are sitting on the tongue, so to answer the question, Axle is able to support the GVWR of the trailer..

17. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    Here's the question.

NO!
    been answered when the OP realized dry weight was just over 2000 lbs (2960 axle rating) so that he can add more than 40lbs of gear without exceeding 3000 lbs GWVR. Someday he ought to get it weighed (vehicle also) to know what it actually weighs as packed and add/subtract stuff added and removed.

18. NiteRider

NiteRider New Member

May 3, 2018
    Ohio
    Just some food for thought, generally speaking the manufacturer weight limits on most anything is grossly undervalued for liability purposes. If it fits in your camper you should be fine to haul it, unless it's like a full weight set or something lol.

19. MNfamilycamper

MNfamilycamper New Member

May 2, 2018
    Minnesota
    Got it all figured out thanks to all you fine folks! Most of the problem was my ignorance, and being a first time owner. I was not reading the tag correctly, I knew something was not adding up right. After I was informed about GVWR and GVAR, and the manufacturers aprox. dry weight, I was able to conclude I could safely add a 100lbs of cargo without an issue. I would still like to go get it weighed so I know the dry weight of the pup. Thanks again!

jnc likes this.