Hankering for a new lens...which one?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by shoman118, Jan 17, 2016.

1. erond

erond Member

Aug 10, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    There are lenses and bodies more expensive than a lot of trailers. :)

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I started looking at lenses a good 6-12 months before I bought the camera. I think that has done well for me.

I started with the kit lens (18-55mm) and the Canon 75-300mm lens. They worked for most things. Lightweight, easy to master, and good lenses at a budget price.

I then added the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens. Those three lenses have nailed so many great shots.

I knew I wanted to extend both ends out, so I did more research. Ended up getting the Tamron 200-500mm. I love that lens! It took more practice to master but has been amazing.

My kit lens broke so I replaced it with the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens. Great lens and a definite upgrade to the kit.

Then I added the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 lens. Wow! I never enjoyed landscape shots so much.

Then my 75-300 lens broke so I upgraded to the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 lens.

So, now I have 11-200mm f2.8 plus an extra 200-500mm reach. Very little overlap (28-50mm and 70-75mm), fast lenses throughout and quality glass that didn't break the bank.

I have three bodies: 40D, 50D, and Rebel XT infrared. I have 4 bags: one for the 40D with a wide and a tele lens, one for the 50D with the other wide and tele lenses, and one for the infrared and 28-75mm. The fourth bag is bigger so I can carry all the lenses (sometimes leaving out the 200-500mm).

3. dabsond

dabsond New Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Dover, DE
    Both the wife and I shoot wildlife as a hobby. We use Tamron 150-600 on Canon crop sensor bodies. I always take them along when camping. Can't remember when we actually pulled them out. We do a lot of hiking when we camp and those lenses get pretty heavy. I usually use a 10-18mm for landscape and scenery shots when we go.

www.dabsonphotography.com

wmadoty likes this.
  4. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    Yeah, the weight can definitely be an issue. I loved the day when everything fit in one pelican bag on a trolley and I could wheel it through the forest. But switching from the rebel bodies to the 40D and 50D, they just don't fit in the narrow bag anymore. Neither do the bigger diameter lenses. And a wider bag isn't as maneuverable on the trails. So I have to carry my gear...

erond likes this.
  5. erond

erond Member

Aug 10, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    I got a Canon M5 mirrorless covering 11-200mm for "just grab and go". It's about 1/3 the size and weight of my 5DMk4. "Grab and go with good quality" vs "lug around with critical quality." :)

6. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    Yeah, I really don't need another camera body... And I hate to buy into a new system when the one I have is fantastic.

It is nice that I can just grab a bag and know I have a great telephoto and a great wide angle in it ready to go. That weight is mostly bearable (unless I'm due to get my neck electrocuted again). Getting back into shape would be the most effective.

7. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    You might want to look at the soon-to-be-announced Canon FX mirror less body....less weight and can utilize all that fast glass.