Has anyone made it to ALL the TPWD parks?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Indy, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    That is our goal! It's tricky because they keep changing ownership and adding/removing parks... lol... but that is the ultimate goal. Living in Houston, we've not made it to a lot of the parks in West Texas or Panhandle area, and we have lots more to hit in the Dallas area too. But, we're knocking them out one by one.

So far, we've visited 35 parks and camped in 21. The complete list below ... bold means we camped there... where should we go next? Reservations for Daingerfield SP for Thanksgiving 2013, but other than that I'm open to suggestions. :)

Bastrop SP
    Battleship Texas SHS
    Brazos Bend SP
    Buescher SP
    Caprock Canyons SP
    Colorado Bend SP
    Dinosaur Valley SP
    Enchanted Rock SNA
    Fanthorp Inn SHS
    Fort Parker SP
    Galveston Island SP
    Garner SP
    Goliad SP & SHS
    Guadalupe River SP
    Huntsville SP
    Inks Lake SP
    Kreische Brewery SHS & Monument Hill SHS
    Lake Arrowhead SP
    Lake Livingston SP
    Longhorn Cavern SP
    Lost Maples SNA
    LBJ SP & SHS
    Martin Creek Lake SP
    Martin Dies Jr SP
    McKinney Falls SP
    Mission Tejas SP
    Mother Neff SP
    Mustang Island SP
    Palmetto SP
    Pedernales Falls SP
    San Jacinto Battlegrounds SHS
    Stephen F Austin SP
    Tyler SP
    Washington-on-the-Brazos SHS & Barrington Farm

Not bad considering we bought our first PUP and set off on this mission during the last weekend of September 2011, and we've also made trips to Florida, Arkansas, and Louisiana in that time. We're obsessed!

2. infotech

infotech New Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Pretty impressive! We just started doing the same thing out of Houston in November 2012. Brazos Bend would be my choice before it gets too hot and since it is so close to you. They have nice hiking/biking trails, gators, and of course, the George Observatory. We've been there three times already. It is so close you can make a nice weekend trip out of it.

So far we've hit the following
    Brazos Bend
    Guadalupe

Scheduled so far for 2013:
    Garner
    Huntsville
    Galveston

3. Kelsey

Kelsey New Member

Mar 21, 2013
    I don't see Abilene State Park on your list. It's local to me so I'm partial but I doubt you would be disappointed. Quite the list you have!

4. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Thanks! Brazos Bend is definitely on the to-do list. We've been there many times, but never camped there just because it is so close it hardly feels we've left. (We're close to Sugar Land area.) Reservations always fill up fast too.

I have not been to Abilene - it's pretty far, but maybe I'll make there for a 3-day weekend.

Some personal favorites I recommend...

... Garner SP has so much to do - esp in summer on the cold Frio River!
    ... McKinney Falls SP is a ton of fun in the summer after a good rain. We had a blast last Memorial Day!
    ... Dinosaur Valley SP is great, and very kid-friendly. We loved the river and the search for dino tracks!
    ... Pedernales SP has a strong river (beware little ones) and an atypical falls, but it is nice and the Wolf Mtn trail has hidden lagoons you can slide into!
    ... Mustang Island SP for the best beaches!

5. sydnisamsofi

sydnisamsofi New Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Colorado Bend is nice for the hiking and biking - long, slow travel in to the park but the do allow pop-ups
    Abilene is a nice park and has a great pool
    San Angelo has lots of bike trails but not a lot to look at
    Big Bend is great - we are going to Terlingua in June but not taking pup - staying at the Terlingua house instead with lots of friends

Maybe see ya out there some time :)

6. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

Dec 5, 2011
    Mother Neff is the oldest state park .... And not long ago someone gave more land to the park..... The rv park is getting moved to the top of the park and a new entrance will be put in ... I live less than 30 miles from it ... In fact I think were going very soon

7. MycaPie

MycaPie "Learnin' 'bout Cuba. Havin' some food."

May 25, 2013
    Wow! What a great list! We are in Katy, TX and just bought our PUP last month.

SP Camped so far:
    Stephen F. Austin SP 6/13

SP Reserved
    Huntsville SP 7/13

8. Roy and Janet Bowman

Roy and Janet Bowman Poppin' Up from Aggieland

Jun 21, 2008
    Make a plan for Palo Duro. We were there in August and still thought it was a great trip.

9. scoutmom52

scoutmom52 New Member

Mar 10, 2013
    We just camped at Purtis Creek State Park (outside of Athens). It was totally full when we camped but we couldn't see our neighbors through the overgrowth. Very peaceful. They have a couple of fishing docks, a swimming area, resident camp hosts and clean restrooms. We really enjoyed the time we camped there. There were one or two other popups there, and a handful of tents, but mostly it was 5th wheels and bigger.

10. Loraura

Loraura New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Bastrop SP -- I grew up camping here very often, however now it literally makes me cry to drive through, and I would not camp there. The fire destroyed most of the gorgeous pine trees. It's a tragedy.

Buescher SP -- We camp here a lot. Cozy Circle is not for us, but the Oak Haven is very nice. Rocky Hill Ranch is a mile or two up the road and has fantastic mountain biking.

Dinosaur Valley SP -- I was dissapointed. Camp sites are literally on top of each other and the park ranger opted to express her political/religious views in a scientific presentation about the dinosaurs. Very disappointing. Woudln't go back.

Pedernales Falls SP -- We like this park a lot. On certain occasions, Flat Creek Ranch best door is open to mountain biking, and is used for an annual UCI pro mountain biking race.

11. cody_560

cody_560 New Member

Jun 14, 2013
    We live in Katy. We've been camping for a while but new to the pop up scene. The only place in the pop has been Huntsville. Really enjoyed it. Good scenery, fishing, and hiking. Swimming area was crowded with day users though.
    Goose Island is great. Had a large area to ourselves.
    Brazos Bend is interesting. We have been out there a lot just to walk and watch alligators and birds and a little camping.
    Livingston- my wife says she liked it better than Huntsville but I can't remember enough about.
    Steven F Austin was good. Good trails to walk but not much to do besides that.
    We plan in expanding our list quite a bit this year. This weekend Lost Pines and Palmetto next weekend. Have fun

12. jdy2

jdy2 Member

Apr 28, 2013
    We just stayed at Palo Duro and Caprock Canyons.

Palo Duro was great. So much to do for the kids - lots and lots of hiking, climbing, exploring. It's the second largest canyon in the US and you're in the canyon ... we loved it.

Caprock Canyons was nice, not as exciting and quite a drive into nowhere from where we were. There were maybe 5-6 other campers in the campground when we were there (two other pop-ups!) so we really felt like we had the place to ourselves. Bison roam free as do prairie dogs (with a "town" right next to the campground facilities).

13. rangerover

rangerover Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Brazos Bend and Livingston, headed to Bastrop this weekend, I hope it does not look like the surface of mars...

14. jam0911

jam0911 Member

Mar 22, 2012
    We've camped out at Goliad SP, Lake Corpus Christi SP, Mustang Island SP, Inks Lake SP and visited Longhorn Cavern SP. All parks so far have been GREAT. All restrooms have been super clean and park staff have been great.

15. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Just camped at Bastrop last weekend for Father's Day. There are quite a few sad burned trees, but they are using the wood from the trees to make some neat bridges and stuff. We did some hiking there a couple years ago before the fires on a day trip (pre- popup days) and it was sad to see the beautiful pines in that area all gone. The camping area at Copperas Creek was allright. It still had some nice big green trees that were unaffected. Be warned - there are mostly just portapotties in the park now and crappy temporary showers. There are only 2 real flushing toilets - one at the pool (only opened pool hours) and the other at the front check-in (single stall).

The new Buc-ees in Bastrop is incredible!

By the way, am I reading it right - Cody_560 and rangerover will both be in Bastrop/Lost Pines area this weekend? :)

16. cody_560

cody_560 New Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Dang I wrote that wrong. Last maples this weekend. Both trees but about 150 miles different. We should organize a pop up gathering someday.

17. Loraura

Loraura New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    If it's not too late to try to change your reservation, I'd highly recommend Buescher SP over Bastrop SP. There is a park road that connects the two, they are very close, but Buescher was not as effected by the fire.

18. jdubois

jdubois New Member

Apr 3, 2013
    @ Cody_560 from Katy:
    I think I know your dad Roger.

19. cody_560

cody_560 New Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Nope. No dad named Roger but how did you come up with that? That would be a small world.

20. rangerover

rangerover Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Thanks Indy, yes we will be there this weekend. Maiden voyage for the pup. I know about the facilities, but I figured it would be a good time to try out our shower and toilet.

I chose Bastrop b/c I wan't to support their efforts in rebuilding and also that they have a pool..