Has anyone made it to ALL the TPWD parks?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Indy, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Same reasons we chose Bastrop... the pool is a HUGE plus this time of year.

2. JETent

JETent JT

Jul 7, 2011
    Round Rock, Texas
    Wow, amazing! Keep it going!

Later,
    JT

3. jdubois

jdubois New Member

Apr 3, 2013
    @ Cody - I believe Roger "The Rocket" Clemens is from Katy, isnt he? And he's got a son named Cody, so I put 2 & 2 together. Although now that I think of it, it's Kody with a "K". All his kids start with "K", as in shorthand for "strikeout".

Man, that dude could PITCH!

4. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    We've camped at Lake Somerville and Bastrop since the original post, and July 4 we're leaving for 11 days to add several West Texas parks to our list. Especially Big Bend, Fort Davis, Guadalupe Mts, and Franklin Mts! Can't wait!

5. cody_560

cody_560 New Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Just added Lost Maples to our list. I'm thinking ill do a review on it here soon. We loved it there.

6. cody_560

cody_560 New Member

Jun 14, 2013
    @jdubois. Now I'm on the same page. Yep. Great talent.

7. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Yes - Lost Maples is excellent. For the full effect, you have to go in the fall. It is an autumn wonderland. The park fills up and you won't have the trails to yourself, but still - so beautiful!

8. huizarr

huizarr Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Which park at Lake Sommerville, they have 2 (Nails creek and Birch Creek)?

I don't see Lockhart SP on your list. There are 4 'world' famous BBQ places in Lockhart.
    There is also Choke Canyon SP and Lake Corpus Christi SP (downside is right now the lake is very low).

9. Roy and Janet Bowman

Roy and Janet Bowman Poppin' Up from Aggieland

Jun 21, 2008
    We have camped at Birch Creek (Lake Somerville). It's ok but I've heard Nails Creek is better. The Corps parks on the south side are good--we like Yegua but it's closed for construction right now.

10. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I did Birch Creek. We passed by Nails Creek on our way home and drove through the park one time - wasn't really impressed unless you're an equestrian camper. But, it was just a quick drive through, so IDK.

Spent the weekend near Canyon Lake (not camping - went with my 70-yr-old mother & hotels/cabins are more her pace) this weekend. WOW is that lake amazing, and it's right there by the Guadalupe River for tubing too. I'm adding camping at Canyon Lake (Army Corps of Engineers park) to my to-do list before the summer is up! We took a helicopter ride over the lake and it is just beautiful! I don't know about the campground amenities - barely drove through. But the lake will make it worth it for me regardless!

11. rangerover

rangerover Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Any info. on Perdenales Falls?

12. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Yes - Pedernales is a great park! Went there last year for Memorial Day with some friends. You have to know what to expect - the "falls" are more of a river flowing downhill, and depending on the water level in the region, the water may be very very low. Still a great park. When we were there, the water level was up at a decent level. We went to the swimming area, and the water was FLOWING. Lots of rocks and a strong river. Our kids were 10, 14, and 17 so we were ok but still had to be a little careful with the 10-yr-old. He almost got swept away once. Be careful swimming or tubing when the water level is up.

It's pretty rocky and the site we got (one of the last to arrive Friday night) was not very level. But, I'm sure there are better sites to be had.

Walk about a mile down the Wolf Mountain trail and you'll see some lagoons on the left. The kids and dogs LOVED it here. The kids could slide down the rocky slides into the little lagoons and splash. We had the place to ourselves, so we took the dogs off leash and they splashed through the lagoons with the kids also. Great, great memories - so much fun. Bring water shoes as it is very slippery, but this is a must.

We love Pedernales Falls. It isn't really the most scenic park, but it's not bad and we had loads of fun. For a more "falls" experience, visit McKinney Falls when the water levels are up. We jumped over the falls into the creek below last summer and that was a ton of fun too.

13. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Texas
    We're almost there with you Indy on number of state parks camped at, our goal is also to eventually camp at all the state parks in TX.

State Parks Camped At:

1) Garner SP
    2) Guadalupe River SP
    3) Inks Lake SP
    4) Lost Maples SP
    5) McKinney Falls SP
    6) Pedernales Falls SP
    7) Bastrop SP
    8) Palmetto SP
    9) Tyler SP
    10) Huntsville SP
    11) Lake Livingston SP
    12) Goliad SP
    13) Choke Canyon SP
    14) Goose Island SP
    15) Lake Corpus Christi SP
    16) Lake Texana SP
    17) Brazos Bend SP
    18) Lake Sommerville (Birch Creek) SP
    19) South Llano River SP
    20) Cleburne SP

State Parks Visited But Not Camped At:

1) Balmorhea State Park
    2) Buescher State Park
    3) Dinosaur Valley State Park
    4) Enchanted Rock State Natural Area
    5) Blanco State Park
    6) Longhorn Cavern State Park
    7) Lyndon B. Johnson State Park
    8) Mustang Island State Park

National Parks Camped At:

1) Padre Island National Seashore

C.O.E. Parks Camped At:

1) Potter's Creek (Canyon Lake,TX)

Private RV Parks Camped At:

1) Guadalupe River RV Resort (Kerrville, TX)
    2) Drifters Resort (Rockport, TX)
    3) Fredericksburg KOA (Fredericksburg,TX)
    4) Lake Corpus Christi KOA (Mathis, TX)

As you can see, we pretty much enjoy camping only at state parks for various reasons. But we're going to break from the norm for us and for our next trip in a few weeks we are going camping at the Jellystone Park Camp Resort in Fredericksburg.
    Should be fun for the kids, and for the wife and I we love the Hill Country area, Fredericksburg itself, the Circle E candle factory outlet, and all the vineyards. The weekend we will be up there, the Fredericksburg Market Days will be going on as well.

14. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Jellystone Fredericksburg looks nice. I've been to the one in Waller and had a lot of fun, and we just got a cabin at the Jellystone in Canyon Lake a couple weeks ago. (That one wasn't my favorite actually.) Be sure to give us a review on Fredericksburg, though.

I'm dying to stay at Canyon Lake with the camper! That is some clear blue water!

We just took an 11-day trip out west and added visits to Big Bend NP, Big Bend Ranch SP, Balmorhea SP, and camped at Davis Mts NP, Franklin Mts SP, & Guadalupe Mts NP.

15. rangerover

rangerover Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Thanks Indy...

16. utopiagal

utopiagal New Member

Jul 15, 2013
    We recently bought a PU and have this same goal. We took our maiden trip to Goose Island near Rockport. It is a wonderful park with lots of privacy. The campsite we chose was in the wooded area with lots of shade and very quiet. They had sites on the water as well. You need plenty of insect repellent, but well worth it.

17. OldTimer1

OldTimer1 New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    The Huntsville SP is not all that great, I live in Huntsville and have only camped there once. I do manage to go over there to fish a few times a month and that is about all.

Just be careful, a good friend came with me the one time I did camp there and he stepped in a hole and managed to do a good bit of damage to his ankle and knee.

18. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Mar 28, 2010
    On your list you have to add Atlanta state park. A truly beautiful underused jewel of a park.
    Our list:
    Atlanta state park
    Caprock Canyon (my favorite)
    Palo Duro
    Fort Richardson
    Fort Griffin
    Lake Arrowhead
    San Angelo
    Tyler
    Dinosaur Valley
    Ray Roberts....we stay mainly at state parks if at all possible. I am sure there is some more and when they come to mind I will add them
    Mineral Wells
    Lake Colorado City

19. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I'm just updating my list with progress through Aug 2013

State Parks Camped At:

1) Garner SP
    2) Guadalupe River SP
    3) Inks Lake SP
    4) Lost Maples SP
    5) McKinney Falls SP
    6) Pedernales Falls SP
    7) Bastrop SP
    8) Palmetto SP
    9) Tyler SP
    10) Huntsville SP
    11) Lake Livingston SP
    12) Goliad SP
    13) Buescher SP
    14) Colorado Bend SP
    15) Davis Mountains SP
    16) Franklin Mountains SP
    17) Dinosaur Valley SP
    18) Lake Sommerville (Birch Creek) SP
    19) Fort Parker SP
    20) Galveston SP
    21) Lake Arrowhead SP
    22) Martin Creek Lake SP
    23) Martin Dies Jr SP
    24) Mission Tejas SP
    25) Mother Neff SP
    26) Mustang Island SP
    27) Stephen F Austin SP

State Parks Visited But Not Camped At:

1) Balmorhea State Park
    2) San Jacinto Battlerounds/Battleship Texas
    3) Big Bend Ranch State Park
    4) Enchanted Rock State Natural Area
    5) Fanthorp Inn State Park
    6) Longhorn Cavern State Park
    7) Lyndon B. Johnson State Park
    8) Kreische Brewery/ Monument Hill State Park
    9) Monahans Sandhills SP
    10) Sheldon Lake SP
    11) Washingon-on-the-Brazos SHS
    12) Wyler Aerial Tramway SP
    13) Brazos Bend SP

National Parks in Texas:

1) Padre Island National Seashore (day visits)
    2) Guadalupe Mts NP (camped 1 night)
    3) Big Bend SP (stayed nearby and spent 4 days exploring)
    4) San Antonio Missions NHP (day visits)

Private RV Parks Camped At:

1) Big Bend Resorts & Adventures RV Park
    2) Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park - Waller
    3) Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park - Canyon Lake

20. WendyLouWho

WendyLouWho Wendy & Marlin

Aug 21, 2013
    We camped at Lost Maples SP (tent, before PUP) and it is amazing! We are still planning a primitive campout there. Please add it to your list but know that if you want to go when the leaves are turning you have to book a year in advance and take your chances that the leaves will turn.