Has anyone NOT insured their pup?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by campagain, Aug 3, 2017.

1. campagain

campagain Active Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I just got mine insured for $110 for the next year, through Nationwide.

Some people have asked me why I bothered getting separate insurance for it, and even hinted that it might be covered by the towing vehicle. I am pretty sure that in MD, it needs to be insured.

I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this.

2. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Hillsboro, OR
    Liability is covered by the tow vehicle. The "PUP policy" just covers collision and comprehensive.

kreeves likes this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    My theory in insurance is that I only buy it if I can't afford to replace the item I'm insuring (or if the Guv-mint tells me too). I paid cash for my pop up, and I have cash to replace it if I need to. I've had my current unit since 2004 - 13 years. If I would have had it insured since then and it got smashed today, I might receive a check for $1000 after the deductible (maximum - it could be less that that), but I would have paid $1450 in premiums.

Insurance is a gamble. You're betting that you'll lose the item. The ins company is betting you won't. Just like in Vegas, the odds are stacked against you.

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I did not insure mine for the reasons stated above.

5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Paid cash for mine as well as everything I own, but I keep full insurance on the high end items. Trailer so far has cost me about $400 for the past five years (approx. $80 a year for collision comprehensive). If I still have it when the trailer drops below about 3K, I will probably drop the insurance; however, right now it still shows a retail average of $6100.00 And to replace with a brand new version, it would be easily 12K or more and I have it insured for a total loss of $11000.00 what I paid for it back in 2012.

With the insurance it keeps me from shooting someone if they attempted to steal it from my driveway or a campground (not likely in a campground).:eek:

6. campagain

campagain Active Member

Jun 24, 2017
    With the luck I have, it's prob good that I got the insurance. I'll re-evaluate after the year expires.

7. Neil0215

Neil0215 New Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Kentucky
    Ours is brand new, so I opted to insure it. For right around 100/year, its not a terrible idea. Obviously when the value drops significantly, I'll drop the insurance.

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Active Member

Mines not insured. It's covered in my yard by my homeowners. It's covered when towing should it come loose and cause damage and would be covered by whomever hit's me and dmages it. The only time it is not covered is while set up in campground.

cma7777 likes this.
  9. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Same here.

10. campagain

campagain Active Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Unless, of course, the person that hits you doesn't have insurance, which is getting very common.

Mausinn and Adam H like this.
  11. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Mine is too old. It insured when I tow it. I'll take my chances. My deductible is probably more than its worth anyway ...lol

12. Fischymom

Fischymom Member

Jul 28, 2017
    I have to say I would think my 94 is too old to be worth the value of insuring.

A.Earley likes this.
  13. JBinNV

JBinNV Member

May 10, 2017
    Reno, NV
    Financed mine, so has to be insured. I like the peace of mind for $17/month

14. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    When my pups cost less then $800 dollars, I didn't insure them. The previous camper and the current camper, I have insured. Used the insurance last year too. My Palomino was totaled. The money I got for it paid for the current Coleman. I just go my bill from Progressive - $180 for the next year.

15. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Since my trailer have tags on them I thought it might be a state DOT requirement to have Insurance but after checking with State Farm I found out that was not a requirement here in Virginia. My State Farm Insurance is D500 for comprehensive and G500 for collision coverage... My RV trailer Insurance coverage's are both marked NO LIABILITY COVERAGE...

Like mentioned above my Truck Insurance and Home Owners Insurance both come into play here as well. My RV trailers are both parked on my property when not on the road... This means my trailer is covered by my truck insurance only if hooked up to the truck. Same for Home Owners insurance being the trailer has to be parked here at the house.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

16. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    I have been in the insurance industry for 22 years so I'll lay out the general way insurance works (your situation may be different)...

Liability - the damage you cause to someone else' property or if you injure someone else
    1st party coverage - the damage to your own item (house, car or rv)

In most states:

1. Trailers do not require individual insurance coverage unless required by your bank or loan company and as long as your tow vehicle carries liability (some states may have more stringent rules so you need to check with your insurance company or agent).
    2. Without separate insurance, the liability is extended from the insurance on your tow vehicle while it is being towed.
    3. Without separate insurance, the liability is extended from your homeowners insurance when it is parked at your home.
    4. Without separate insurance, you have no coverage for the trailer itself for either collision or comprehensive coverage (these do not extend from the insurance on your tow vehicle)
    5. Without separate insurance, your homeowners coverage does not offer coverage for the trailer if it is damaged, even if it is parked next to the house (some homeowners policy may throw in a minimal amount of coverage for trailers - like around $1000 as a freebie, but you need to check)
    6. If you insure your trailer separately (it can be just added to your auto policy or some companies write it as a separate RV policy) then you are adding 1st party coverage to your trailer whether it is being towed, parked at home or parked at a campsite.

As I stated, these are the general guidelines. I really suggest that you talk to your insurance company or agent if you have questions. Ask for them to review your insurance policies with you.

Personally, I carry separate insurance for my Hybrid because of its value and the minimal cost (mine's about $150 per year). That is because I am in the business and have seen how bad things can be and I am overly cautious. I am not casting any judgment, everyone has to make this decision for themselves. I just wanted to make sure everyone understands the coverage so that they are not going into this with wrong assumptions.

campfire Joe, kreeves and JBinNV like this.
  17. campagain

campagain Active Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Mine's a 1987 and of course my agent never said "you don't need ins on a pup".

18. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK with your state requirements and your insurance company everyone! My carrier told me that my vehicle's liability coverage does NOT extend to my PUP. I had to add liability coverage for my PUP, which cost me a very small amount (something like $25 per 6 months). Imagine your PUP comes loose while driving, smashes in to someone else, and damages their vehicle or worse yet hurts a person... if you didn't have appropriate insurance, YOU could be personally responsible for the damages.

It was optional for me to choose comprehensive coverage to cover any damage to my PUP, which I declined as many others did because my PUP is pretty old and basic, so not worth a whole lot.

19. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Hillsboro, OR
    Yeah, since you're in Illinois, you likely have unusual requirements. Gotta love Illinois government.

20. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We don't insure ours. Liability while towing is part of our vehicle's policy, and I'm willing to take the risk on covering the replacement cost if something happens when not towing.