Have anyone tried to install their own Internet antenna?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by stacey short, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    I installed a long range wifi antenna on our camper last year. Before the people start preaching about getting out in nature, you shouldn't be watching tv while camping, etc..... don't bother ! Occaisionally you get stuck camping in the rain. Having a kid or kids stuck in the camper all day will ruin an otherwise successful camping trip. Plus, occaisionally I like to catch up on news, etc. at bedtime.

So I'm not going to mention the system I installed because I do feel a little ripped off. The manufacturer will get no positive press from me. However, the antenna I installed works GREAT !. What I do is bring our laptop and plug the antenna directly into it. Then I use the laptop as a wifi hotspot and connect the television to the hotspot. The campgrounds we have used it at have their wifi available at their office or campground store. We can have a campsite way on the other end of the campground and still have the ability to stream on 2 tvs, a tablet, and use the internet ( but not stream) on a phone or two. Though it was a fair investment, I'm 200% satisfied with the performance of the antenna. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I used stuff I had leftove from other projects to make a simple bracket that bolts onto the tongue of our trailer. I used a piece of PVC and a telescoping paint roller handle as a mast and simply zip tied the antenna to the mast. It is easily extended and collapsed.... just takes a minute ( and the mast was CHEAP to make).

For those that claim free campground wifi won't support streaming so don't bother...... I'm curious if you have tried it. I can say my results far exceeded my expectations.

This is the only forum I'm unable to post pictures on. I may attempt to make a pic smaller so I can post one here.

2. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    20190125_193418.jpg