Have I ruined this pan?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by gzank6, Mar 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gzank6

gzank6 Member

Oct 6, 2010
    This pan was pretty caked with cooking build up, grease, carbon etc. I went through a process of letting it set with easy off in a plastic bag which was working but taking too long. So, I then put it in a fire to cook off the build up. This worked, I did this with two pans. I then cleaned it up with some vinegar and scrubbed with with salt and put it in the oven around 350 to season it with some lard. It looked like progress was being made at this point, sorry I don't have a picture. After the seasoning, I let it sit a bit and put it on the stove top to heat it for some cooking. It wasn't on too long when it came up with this coloration you see in the pic. I read somewhere that its possible to overheat a pan in a fire and it can ruin it. The other, smaller pan isn't looking like this though. Your thoughts or help please. 20170314_122555.jpg

2. SteveP

SteveP Member

May 21, 2015
    Assuming you got all of the oven cleaner off of it, I think I'd scrub it good, put a light coat of, lard, shortening, veg oil, whatever, on it and put it in a cold oven, on the upper rack, upside down. Put a catch pan on the lower rack to catch the drippings. Set the oven for 450F and leave it for 1 hour. Then let it sit in the oven till it's completely cooled. Open your windows, turn on the fans, take the battery out of your smoke detector. If you're not making a lot of smoke you're not doing it right.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I don't think you got all the oven cleaner out of the pores. You made soap.

4. 2ndchance

2ndchance Member

Jul 6, 2011
    I would totally strip it again and season it again. Unless you warp it or crack it it can be saved. I personally only use heat (my gas grill) to strip my cast iron. Steve P is correct that if it aint smoking your not seasoning it right. I also season on my gas grill.