Headed for Mammoth Cave!

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by rdmullins, Oct 12, 2017 at 2:07 PM.

1. rdmullins

rdmullins New Member

Jun 17, 2016
    In a few weeks we'll be hitting the road on our first-ever fall camping trip to Mammoth Cave! We're pulling our pup and my Mom and Dad are going to join us with theirs, so it should be fun. We're staying at Jellystone, so it will also be our first experience with that type of (non-park) campground.

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    That's in KY right? There is a Mammoth Lake in California that had some snow recently

3. megcabra

megcabra Member

Sounds like it should be a great trip!

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Mammoth cave is on my to-do list. Although probably not until next year. I was thinking of taking 8 nights total, four nights in the Smokey's and 4 nights in Mammoth Cave. Although I would probably stay at the park itself. I can't wait to see your follow up post on how it went.

5. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    Welcome. I live about 30 miles from there. We backpack and camp there a lot, frontcountry and backcountry. The NP campground is very nice. Very wooded and usually hear owls at night.
    If you are into hiking, there are some good short trails near the visitor center. You can see the mouth of the two rivers that made the caves. The Cedar Sink trail and Sloans Crossing Pond trails are good short trails too.
    The Jellystone in Cave City is great too. All October weekends are Halloween themed. People go all out and decorate their sites. There is usually a haunted woods attraction adjacent to the cg. It is always full in October. We go almost every year. They are currently working on a big expansion.

6. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Went to Mammoth Cave last year.... The cave itself was incredible. It is so flippin huge it's scarey ....I think after an hour the guide said we had seen less than 1% of the cave. Great place for Halloween fun. The above ground park is big too. You'll have a great time.

7. Gunz

Gunz Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Ocean Springs, MS
    That was our first big, out of state expedition. Loved it and can't wait to go back someday.

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Been there twice. I always enjoy the Mammoth Caverns. I also went to the Lincoln Cabin which was not far away.

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    The DW and I are taking a road trip to Kentucky and Mammoth Caves is on the list. Looking forward to it!!