Heater stopped working.

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by MyName, Nov 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Fless

Fless Active Member

Bingo, I'd say. Your furnace is rated to draw only 2.9 amps. Verify with an ammeter.

upload_2018-12-2_20-59-4.png

_

MyName likes this.
  2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Try to turn the fan by hand. If stiff or jumpy, it could be a dry bushing or bad bearing, depending on the fan construction. Bushings can be oiled, bearings can be replaced except on really cheap fans. Either of these conditions will make the fan draw too much power.

3. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    the blower motor (fan) is drawing ~5.6 amps. Time to buy a new one. Thank you all for your help. I'm going to start deep cleaning the furnace while I wait for the part in the mail.

neighbormike likes this.
  4. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    @WrkrBee I wanted to add that the fan was stiff to move. I don't want to try and fix the bearing and have it fail on me in the middle of a cold night.

Sjm9911, jmkay1 and WrkrBee like this.
  5. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    I tested the new fan blower motor. it pulled 2.2 amps. Still cleaning the furnace and installing it.

Look at what I found. I had roommates. [​IMG]

Fless likes this.
  6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    That reinforces the reason why we have screens on the exhaust.

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Not plastic or vinyl screen... only metal ones.

kitphantom likes this.
  8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Oh boy... good thing you are getting it taken care of!

9. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    Update: I have tested the new blower in the furnace and all is working in my house without propane. No blown fuse. I will install in the trailer tomorrow and test it overnight.
    Note. The new blower motor had about the same resistance when I tried to spin it by hand as the old bad blower motor.
    Thank you all for the great advice, and I hope you don't mind these updates.

neighbormike likes this.
  10. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    read all posts, learned.

11. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    Question. There is a grey puddy aroundnd the outside vent. It is to seal it and make it water proof. What is it? Plummers puddy? I think I should replace it.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Butyl tape

13. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    @kitphantom thanks. I'll buy some from Amazon.
    Put the furnace together in the camper. It works great. It takes about 30 seconds after the fan turns on for the flame to start. It use to take 5-10 minutes.

14. Fless

Fless Active Member

That's great! We do like to hear about problem solving, not just hear the suggested fixes.

I have a partial roll of butyl tape to offer for the cost of shipping, but it looks like it's not expensive at all. I may have to post it in the free area, along with some other small parts.
    _

neighbormike likes this.
  15. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    Thanks. Current status: Fail.
    So I'm still having issues. It won't always light the flame. Once lite I can turn down the Thermostat to kill the flame, then turn it up to relite it, it's just hard to lite from the off position. Note the orange electrode wire was damaged and I put electricse tape on it. The wire reminds me of spark plug wire. It also tends to light better with out the metal grate on. In fact I've only got it lite once with the grate on. And dozens of times without it.

16. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    I think the sail switch is the issue. The grate must block just enough air so that it doesn't push all the way. If I remove the grate I see it move. I probably bent the sail switch.

17. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    Hi all. I pulled my furnace, and removed the blower motor (fan) to gain access to the sail switch. I bent the switch back to it's 90 degree angle based on images I found online. I really bent it while cleaning out the triangle wind tunnel. I tested the furnace, outside the trailer, with the grate on before and after i fixed it. The sail switch does close faster after I adjusted it. Now time to reinstall it in the trailer.
    On the plus side, my mistake made it so that I accidentally knock off a lot of rust out of the burner cavity while doing this extra repair.
    In case anyone wants to know the manual states that the sail switch is called "microswitch" part number 231930

neighbormike likes this.
  18. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I never use the furnace.. it is too much trouble. I use ceramic heater or big buddy heater. I am mulling on removing the furnace and replace it with electric cord retractable reel.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  19. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    I wrap mine in plastic wrap and store it so it lays flat. Never know when you'll need more.

20. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    Mine is less trouble than my Buddy Heater or electric heater. Either of those I have to get out and hook up, the furnace is just the flip of the switch on the thermostat.

neighbormike and kitphantom like this.