Heating/Cooling a Hybrid

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Jnelson41, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Jnelson41

Jnelson41 New Member

Aug 11, 2015
    My wife and I currently have a small Coleman Redwood PUP and have had some great times in it with our family. We have a 3 year old and a 4 week old, and have been thinking about upgrading to a hybrid for a more comfortable experience. We love camping but have busy schedules, so that means we go rain or shine, even if that means chilling inside playing games and watching movies most of the time (preferably not though). One concern for us going to a hybrid is the ability to keep a consistent temperature with the fabric ends. Im not sure if we would be better suited with a full on hardside. We like to keep it comfortable for the little ones, and Im wondering how difficult you find it to keep it cool in warm weather or warm in cool weather? Considering this for a multi-week road trip with the kids next summer and really want a more comfortable "living space" than the popup offers, and the setup/pack time is a plus too. Thanks!

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I use Gizmos and reflex in the windows when its hot out and do not have a problem

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    Ditto on the Pop-up Gizmos. They're on my list for next spring. But the stuff you want to look for is "Refectix". It can be had at any Home Depot or similar.
    I'm doing the reflectix for the VT rally. Pretty chilly nights usually.

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    We have a TT now, but when we had the Pup we had a floor model AC in our Pup and it would freeze you out. I wouldn't be too worried in a hybrid. [:)C]

5. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Popup Gizmos, reflectix & foam mats under the mattresses will help a lot. I've had both my pup & hybrid in 100+ and below 32 weather in Oklahoma and South Dakota without comfort problems.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    It is much easier to cool or heat our hybrid than our popup.

7. bikendan

bikendan Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Ditto!
    and another recommendation for PUGs and Reflectix. we camped in NorCal and SoCal for 10 years, with our hybrid. NEVER had any cooling or heating issues, even in 99 degree heat in SoCal and snow in Yosemite.

8. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Jul 17, 2015
    We camped in 99 degree humid PA heat this summer and the AC kept our hybrid (with 3 tent beds) as cool as we wanted it to. Granted the AC ran constant through the day to do this, but we have no need for gizmos or anything like that in the climate I camp in, the northeast. The furnace will keep you toasty as well, assuming you're camping in conditions above freezing.

9. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Just did a night at 43f and easily kept our 3 bunk hybrid at 58. Furnace ran off the battery and the temp stayed pretty consistent.

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I don't have a hybrid yet, but I have a fair amount of experience figuring out how to keep my pup cool in the hot TX summer. I use reflectix in all the windows except for the one under the awning. I also have the interlocking foam mats under the mattresses, and place pool noodles around the perimeter of the mattress which seems to help a little as that area is drafty and gets hot in the sun. I also run pugs on the bunks and dinette slide, and will put 3 pool noodles between the pugs and canvas to create an air gap which further helps in reducing heat transfer to the bunks. Shade is super important - I have camped in full sun with no shade and wasn't able to keep up in the hottest part of the day.

I run my A/C on max cool and it pretty much runs non stop. I also use some fans to help circulate the air inside. This year I added a small 8k btu portable A/C to supplement the roof unit, and had no issues with keeping it cool in 100 degree weather, although I did have great shade this time.

For a hybrid you should be in much better shape as they are significantly better insulated than a pup. As long as you have power you should be fine with the A/C. I would recommend getting the larger 15k btu one if you have a choice, and I think the ducted units do a better job of cooling the whole camper than the more traditional style with the vents on the panel only. When we do move to a hybrid I plan to still use pugs and reflectix as needed.

11. Athomeinthpines

Athomeinthpines New Member

Oct 9, 2018
    Madison, Alabama
    With a hybrid you can always turtle during the hot summer days or choose to open only one bunk until nightfall. Make sure you have roof air, it will make a big difference over side air. In some of the Starcraft units we looked at, the side air was a 5000 or 8000 btu and would not cut it "down south" in the summer. We don't have experience during the winter, but I am certain that between a gas furnace and electric heater you should be ok in most weather. Likely the water would freeze before you do.

12. daveo1289

daveo1289 Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Rochester NY
    During the extreme heat, we close the bunk ends to help cool the unit. The AC will maintain a good bit of comfort that way. heating has never been an issue with us. The heater will keep the unit warm without any problem. We do close the bunk end drapes during the day to keep the heat or cool, depending on the season, in the body of the unit.

Athomeinthpines likes this.