Hello From Utah... We just bought!

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by chadster, Mar 12, 2018.

1. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have to agree with BikeNFish on using the Factory parts. They will fit right look good & not void the warranty which will lead to better resale value.

2. chadster

chadster Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Utah
    First of all I want to THANK everyone for all of your recommendations. I have been doing a LOT of research and a lot of that leads to this great community. I hope to become a great contributor over time to this community. So Here's where I am at. I was on the phone with my dealer and Dodge yesterday discussing what I want to do. What was interesting was during the 30 min discussion with the dealer the guy actually recommended going this company that I got a quote from. He said they will install the hitch, wiring, and trailer brake controller (which Dodge does not). Apparently a few years back all Caravans come with transmission coolers, he said if I want I might consider putting a larger one in down the road. Remember I live in Utah and I do hope to have a couple plans up into the Uintas. If any of you have gone through Parley's Summit you know what I will be facing. Anyways I did confirm that the ONLY thing that could void my warranty is towing more than Dodge recommends. So now I am looking into a good equalizer hitch I can use. Any recommendations there? Also I will say I would prefer to be towing with a larger vehicle but sadly purchasing a truck right now is just not in the cards. I want to do this safely and I feel fairly confident that I will be able to do just that with this set up. So I guess my next question would be can anyone recommend an equalizer hitch?

3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I added Curt class III to my previous Explorer.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Looks like you have a good handle on everything. It always pays to do your homework!

If you have a tranny temp gauge available on your dash, keep your eye on it when you tow. I have one on my RAM and it is VERY nice to be able to monitor my tranny temp. If you just have the warning light, keep an eye on it when hauling up the mountains, but I think you will be OK.

Happy camping!

5. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    When you say "equalizer hitch" are you referring to a weight distribution hitch (WDH)? Your caravan may not allow the use of a WDH. Also, your trailer may not support the use of an WDH (sometimes the frame is a lighter weight C channel and would bend under the stress of a WDH). You need to check your owners manuals.

6. chadster

chadster Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Utah
    Yes a weight distribution hitch is what I am considering. In my vehicles manual it actually recommends it. As to the frame of the trailer I did not consider that. I guess I need to look that piece up! Thanks for the info.