HELP! 2005 fleetwood bayside roof repair.

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by AJ Gronk, Jul 5, 2018.

1. AJ Gronk

AJ Gronk New Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Wyoming PA
    Hello,
    I just purchased my first pop up a 2005 fleetwood bayside which previous owner said roof leaked but he repaired it and hasn’t leaked since. Well he lied. Only had it 5 days and our first outing it pours. The inside roof was bubbling rusted water everywhere. It does have air conditioner and roof racks. I noticed it sags around air conditioner. The floors are solid. one damaged cabinet at bottom From previous leak which I planned on removing and adding a cassette toilette. Can use a canvas cleaning or replacing. Everything else works.
    I serched for roof replacements or repair, which brought me to here.
    We overpaid so any help to get this 13 year old back to shape will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    AJ

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Year make and model would be helpful......

3. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Nm , in heading. Lol.

4. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    What type of roof is on it? Abs plastic or the replacement? Is it leaking around the A.C.? Does it have a roof support inside? By bubbling , do you mean leaking, or is the whole inside bubbled? Is the leak in one area or the whole roof? Pictures would help!

5. AJ Gronk

AJ Gronk New Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Wyoming PA
    from what I can tell it’s aluminum sandwiched between Two pieces of 1/4 in ply and 2 inch thick Styrofoam. It’s leaking around all over. Ceiling paper is bowing and when pushed on water comes out.
    It does have roof support both sides of air conditioner. No leaks around air conditioner but water puddles around it on top from bowing.

Attached Files:

6. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I don't have that type of roof. And water all over isn't good. You need to do a few things, wait for others that know more then me is one of them.

If this was mine, I would try to find where the water is coming in, and also start removing the underside panels as it has to dry out. This might turn into a big job.

AJ Gronk likes this.
  7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

This is going to get ugly before it gets better without a doubt! Time to start pealing it a part? Before you start ripping down the ceiling Get some good pictures of the damage & post them here to help us make it easier on you & your wallet.

AJ Gronk likes this.
  8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I have an 04 Utah a sister unit to the Bayside. My roof is the alumitite roof and the rack tracks are screwed in. These roof tracks are known to leak. If your leak is not coming from around the AC unit 9 out of 10 is coming from the track system. My fix is to only stop the leak. If you want to fix the damage dond that is a whole nother problem. Now there are a couple ways to fix. 1) you can take the roof track off, fill in the holes with waterproof filler and cover the line with Eternabond tape. If you feel like you are going to use those tracks for an aftermarket bike rack you can attempt to reinstall over the eternabond. My worry about this for me is I didn't want to accidently add more holes if I don't get it exactly lined up. 2,) you can eternabond down bothsides of the roof track making you you cover the tracksides and the roof and caulk the end caps. So far this option has worked for me. I was also going to dab caulk on each screw but I don't think it was the actual screws that we're leaking on mine. Now I'm not sure how bad your leak is and if it caused rot or other severe damage or more of a cosmetic issue. On my unit it was mainly cosmetic the paper is all bubbled but no bad rusting or sagging so I just concentrated on stopping the leak. Eternabond is like a permanent caulk that stuff, once it's down, it's down. I'm gone on 5 years now and have had no further leaks. I've recaulked the end caps on the track, but that is it.

AJ Gronk likes this.
  9. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    You need a new A/C gasket too .
    I would rebuild the roof , lots of posts on how people did theirs . That roof will just keep puddling around the low spot and will find its way in . Maybe put a tarp over the roof for now if you still want to camp for a bit .

10. AJ Gronk

AJ Gronk New Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Wyoming PA
    Thanks for the information.
    Now that you mentioned it. looks like all the leaks are right down the entire roof racks. Since were in the middle of camping season I’m going to try to stop leaking first with your #2 idea with the eternabond tape and water sealer.
    Hopefully this will prevent any more leaks. Until I can start ripping apart.
    Has anyone ever rebuild this type of roof. It would be great to have some guidance.
    Thanks for all the reply’s! hoping I can get this back to better then new.

11. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    You can do what I did and run 1" wide Eternabond down on TOP of the rails ( 2 layers to create a cover)
    then caulk down the sides of the rails where they meet the roof . Plenty of successful roof rebuilds in the Roof Forum .

AJ Gronk likes this.
  12. AJ Gronk

AJ Gronk New Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Wyoming PA
    I just ordered the enternabond tape. I plan on removing the racks completely but If I leave roof racks in place will they still be usable.