Help! Locked Coleman door and no key!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by mstickle, Jul 28, 2011.

1. mstickle

mstickle 1974 Coleman Valley Forge 880

I did a stupid thing. I leaned on the door of my 1974 Coleman Valley Forge and accidentally pushed the latch closed. I have no key. How do I get it open? I have no tow package yet and the locksmith is in the next town. I really don't want to pay over $100 just to get a key. The good thing is that it's currently up and I can at least get in. Is there a "trick" I can use to get it open? Thanks!

2. mv520

mv520 Member

You might want to first round up every small key you can find from within your household and neighbors. Along the way I've discovered that my PUP unlocks not only with the key its supposed to, but also easily with the key that unlocks my desk at work, and with some wiggling the key that came with my hitch lock.... Even though the keys aren't cut the same, apparently my lock cylinder is not too discriminating. Worth a try.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

4. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Popup camper keys are notorious for being interchangeable - know any Coleman camper owners near by(?)

If not, I'd sure try the site bupkis posted.

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

mv520 is right use every small masterlock like key, may work [8D]

6. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Coleman only used 2 keys so you have a 50/50 chance for each key if you can find some Coleman owners.

7. Eddie Madrid

Eddie Madrid New Member

Yes, I lost a key also. There are 2 keys available, pre 1997 and post 1997. I went to a Colemen dealership and bought one for my 1994. Good Luck

8. flyweed

flyweed New Member

heck..if you got a swiss army knife or other jacknife..open up the small knife, or nail file, insert it into the lock and turn...I've opened almost every lock on my coleman doing this. Works almost better than the key.

Dan

9. TIDE-HSV

TIDE-HSV New Member

They're right. The Coleman key is a key in name only. Just find another Coleman owner - or a knife blade will do...

10. mstickle

Thanks for the replies. I managed to get my hands on a key from the local RV dealer, but he only had one, and as my luck would have it, it was the wrong one! So much for 50-50! LOL
    I tried a small jack knife and no luck. Can someone describe to me just how to use a knife? Sorry, but I'm a little inept at these kinds of things. I don't want to wreck the lock or the door handle.
    If I still can't manage it, would drilling the rivets out of the top of the door help any? Would I then be able to access it from the inside of the door and perhaps take it completely out and run it down to the locksmith to have a key made? At the same time, I could maybe pop out the dent in the door. Not really what I want to do, but I will if I have to.

11. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

They are not quality locks, see if you have a key that will fit the keyway. If so work it a little and it may open. A lot of these are key ch751. Very popular with irrigation clocks, commercial lawn mowers, storage cabinets. You may have one in a drawer or the local locksmith may help.

12. mstickle

Thank you!!! I did it!!! I used the "wrong" key after trying a knife and a nail file. I wiggled and jiggled and it popped open! Thank you so much!!
    Now can someone tell me how to remove the lock mechanism (without wrecking the door) to take it down to have a "proper" key made for it? Thanks again guys!

13. flyweed

flyweed New Member

yeah.the knife works, you just have to wiggle it around a bit, while trying to turn it..it'll work.

Anyway you got it open now, so that's half the battle

14. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

Our keys were stolen when our vehicle was broken into. (bad idea keeping ALL keeps, including copies, in the glove box of your TV.) Our dealer did not have a key that would work. We just bought an entirely new lock with keys. It was cheaper than having it rekeyed and getting new keys. Price it out both ways.

15. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

A real useful mod that I made on the previous p'up was to install an outside access door and this was done the following year. Bought the door from Starcraft but ended up that the key that fit the access door also fit the camper door, too! Now how convenient is that(?)

[​IMG]

16. mstickle

That's pretty funny!
    Unfortunately an outside access door is not an option for me. The work involved is too much for me. That, combined with the fact that it would do absolutely no good considering that ours is a step door with no inside latch precludes it. Great idea it you have an inside latch, though!
    What I have done is drilled out enough of the rivets in the door to be able to get inside and pull the lock so I can take it down and have a key made. I did this for a couple or reasons. First the obvious one, to pull the lock to have a key made, second to rip out the lino on the step and replace it, and last, but certainly not least, doing so allowed me access to be able to pop out the dent in the door. Now it looks good!

17. Kdugan

Kdugan Member

I love reading this post! We went camping at a SP just 45mins from our house. The DH got backed-up into the site, we began setting up and then the DH turns to me and says "I don't have the keys for the PUP" wow, first thought....it's almost dark and I don't really wanna drive 1 1/2 round trip.....second thought.....I wonder if one of the rangers have a key? SOOOOO....being the not so shy person I am I walked right up to the ranger explained to him that the DH left the PUP keys at home! He said that he "might" have a key that would work. Sure enough he brought over his key ring and the second key he tried opened it right up [:D]

18. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

My canvas is velcro-ed to the door, I just have to reach inside

19. mstickle

Problem is, again, I have a step door. There is NO WAY to open the door from the inside when it's locked.
    I ended up dripping it and pulling the lock and got some keys made.

20. tsc

tsc Member

Someone posted, that they have a key in the access panel of their fridge (which is on the outside of the pup). I haven't gotten off my lazy butt to get keys cut, but I intend to place a key there too. We carry two sets and one is permanently in the TV; but I got thinking.

We close our stepper door, if we leave the dog inside (that way she can't get out, if she happens to get the screen door open--because everyone wants a 100lbs geriatric, half blind, 3/4 deaf German Sheppard running around). The DW or I takes the TV out to get groceries or something and the other goes for a bike ride. If the person comes back from the bike ride and the keys are inside, we don't have convenient access until the other person returns.