Help please!

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by beckyg34, Apr 18, 2017.

1. beckyg34

beckyg34 New Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Help! We've got a NTU 1990 Coleman Newport. We got it about a month ago. We took it out camping once, everything worked fine. Just tried to open it in our driveway and my husband over cranked it. Doesn't seem like the cables snapped, but when we crank up or down, the crank just spins. There's no resistance. What could have happened? We aren't sure what to do or how to fix it. It's currently stuck in the 3/4 way up position but we put 2x8's (it's what we had) to hold the roof up so that we could get the door shut. Thank you so much!

2. friartuck

friartuck Active Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    Try over cranking again. Really. Just a little bit over cranking should re-engage the ratchet mechanism and put everything back on track.
    Good luck!

3. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    If this is a rear crank like my 93 it may not be the cables or the lift system but the handle...it was with mine. There are 2 nuts inside the handle one that tightens when you put it up the other tightens as you put it down and mine eventually broke inside. A machinist friend had to refabricate the inside of the handle for me and it cost me a bottle of cheap Scotch...luckily he's not a GlennFiddich man like myself. Best of luck

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

could be a cotter pin in the gear wheel broke. the Clicking noise is the part the keeps roof from falling down. Happened to me once.

5. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    Halford, you are correct that's a real possibility.

6. Boatnman

Boatnman Active Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Take a look at this video - specifically around minute 6:00 - to see how the lift system crank works:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=artzZ5yI364

You can also google "Coleman Guy videos" to see other videos he has made including others on the whiffletree and lift system.

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My STarcraft 14 R/T has a wire installed between the roof and the main body and when it gets tight tells me I am up where I should be... My crank is using a DC Motor controlled by a spring loaded up down toggle switch... I crank mine up until my wire gets tight then I install two of these Lifter Arm Safety Posts that came with my trailer in opposite corners. Then I lower the roof to rest on top of these safety posts to relieve the pressure on the raise cables...

[​IMG]
    Roy's Image from manual

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]