Help with mod for bunk end supports

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by lkc, Nov 4, 2017.

1. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Hello all--went out to do some cleaning on my NTM 2004 Fleetwood Yuma-- I went to put the bed end supports in & found out I am not nearly strong enough to push up on the underside with my back while trying to put the supports onto the little posts on the hitch on the front bunk or on bumper on the back bunk--& it looks like two of the plates the posts are attached to are bent or pulling away from the plywood.

I know I'm not as strong as I was 20 years ago but it shouldn't be so difficult-- almost gave myself a hernia!! This just won't work-- I need to be able to do the setup by myself.

Ideas please?

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Go to harbor freight and buy a ratcheting cargo or load bar. You can use it to crank up the bunk and then get your supports in.

3. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Great idea sneezer-- I already have one for my truck.

My only question is --it seemed like really alot of upward force needed to get the bed platform high enough to get the supports anchored & my bed rails are functioning properly--should it take so much force?

4. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Jul 22, 2014
    Did you try putting the posts in the frame slots first the then the bunk ends?
    On mine the post slots are an inch deep but the bunk aligns close ends of the support poles so that just a little lift with my shoulder make the connection.

Just my 2 cents.

5. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Can't do that with mine--the poles are permanently mounted on a plate onto the underside of bunk ends-- only the end that goes on the small post on the hitch & bumper swing down & I'm not strong enough to get them attached

I'm hoping for more ideas on what I could do to eliminate the need to half crawl under the bunk ends--

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I have king bunks on mine. When I pull them out there is some significant droop until I get the support poles in. I have to get under and lift with my back as well in order to get the supports into their tabs. It is a fair amount of force. I try and lift with my legs rather than just my back, seems to be a little easier for me at least.

7. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    +1 on what Sneezer says...it isn't too hard to do unless there a significant slope, then I have a hard time getting under one end. A ratcheting cargo bar sounds like a good idea.

8. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    Make sure your bunk ends are pulled all the way out. When I have a hard time with mine I find I didn’t quite get them all the way out.

9. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Tacoma WA.
  10. DJS12354

DJS12354 Active Member

Queen bunk on our Starcraft 2107 had significant droop to it when we were opening and setting it up. Took another look at the manual (we don't need no stinging manual) and found they way to do it properly is to put the "U" shaped support bracket in place first, then add the other supports after extending the bunk. Duh!
    Don't know if you have similar set up on your pup.

11. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Heartman-- do you have these? I see from the pictures that they mount with bolts to the underside of the bunk-- then the legs extend to the ground & somehow adjust for height or do the ends go into the posts on the hitch & bumper? It still requires a person to lift the bed end?

Anyone know if the heavy duty cargo ratcheting bars for trucks would work?? I'm thinking some sort of a bracket to slide one of the feet into then extend & ratchet tight--would it be stable??

I cannot do the lifting with my back-- plus I'm short-- surely I'm not the only senior person with this issue? I'm not having a problem with pulling out the bed ends or any other part of setup-- just this. & I'm not weak.

12. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    Your not short,Your feet reach the ground don’t they!

13. DJS12354

DJS12354 Active Member

You could try these from Harbor Freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/ratcheting-cargo-bar-96811.html

They make a cheaper one, which I have two of and use for keeping things from sliding around in the truck bed. The handle on the cheaper ones seems a little flimsy. Might give you the help you want.

14. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Bowman. LOL-- yes, yes they do-- it's just the height adjustment from the ground to the top of my head is somewhat stunted!!!

Anyone using the ratchet cargo bars only for support with one in each corner?

15. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Yes, they do. It just eliminates having to lift and put the poles in position at the same time.

16. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Mstrbill--so a partial answer is it still requires someone or something to lift the bed end. What did you mean by "yes they do"? More specific please--this is my first pop-up. Thank you

17. Heartman_wa

Mar 5, 2006
    Tacoma WA.
    Yes I have them on my Santa Fe. You still have to lift the bed but not try and place the rod on the "stud" at the same time. It makes it a lot easier.

18. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Thank you so much for the info Heartman---I'm definitely going to try to use my cargo bar to lift & hold the bed up while I see if I can manage to get the supports in place that are on my unit now before I shell out that kind of money. Boy they really are proud of those support bars, aren't they?? $99 each? Geez

The "pins" that my current supports attach to are different on the tongue (short posts on each side of the tongue) & just a little tab with what look to be some kind of washers on the bumper---Is your unit the same? Wondering of those back-saver support bars will fit on both?

19. Heartman_wa

Mar 5, 2006
    Tacoma WA.
    Yes mine are the same. There are different lengths for front and back because of different size beds. You can maybe find them cheaper elsewhere I didn't look. The back saver system was used on the higher end models do to the expense of them.

20. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Great info here--thank you all. I understand more now on how the bed support system works and what I am capable of doing myself and when I may need a mod or mechanical help! Such a great site where people freely give knowledge and info.

This thread has given me ideas for getting things set-up so I can do it by myself and not risk injury!