Help with tires

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by chadster, Apr 16, 2018.

1. chadster

chadster Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Utah
    Hello all. Once again I am asking a question hoping for guidance. I have been doing a lot of reading here on tires and a little over a month ago I got a great deal on a Coleman Sedona 2002. We are trying to get everything camping ready so we can go out for a weekend in May. One thing I discovered is the tires on the trailer are from the 51st week in 2001. Wow the previous owner who was the first owner was right... He didnt use it much. I don't feel comfortable towing it and my family with those old of tires. So replacing it is. I've noticed a lot of places sell tires on rims I think I'll go that route and just have a nice cleaner look. Anyways here's the info I have on the tires
    IMG_20180415_150413.jpg
    IMG_20180415_150359.jpg

Can you guys help me with recommendations? I do live in Utah and we have interstates with speed limits at 80mph that's another discussion but I think it's way too fast even if not towing. I would like a tire where I can cruise nicely at 65, with the occasional 70 if I need to pass a semi etc.

I'm leaning towards radials if possible but open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance everyone.

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Carlisle Radial Trail HD in that size are rated to 81 mph.

Fbird likes this.
  4. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    I have these on my dual axle HTT. They have been trouble free. The extra margin is nice to have. I typically tow at around 70-75 mph.

5. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    It is a common trailer tire size ST173/80D13. Given the GVWR of the trailer, you would be fine with a load range C tire, but you can also get those in a load range D tire which would give you more margin for loading. In any case, as noted above, there are ST tires out there speed rated for >75 mph so that you can tow at faster speeds if you want. You can get tires on rims or just get new tires and have them put on by your favorite tire place.

6. markzrt1

markzrt1 New Member

Oct 15, 2010
    I will be ordering tires on rims from etrailer soon.

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I would get away from the bias ply tire ST173/80D13 and go to a radial tire ST173/80R13 they run much cooler. Heat decrees tire life. I like the goodyears ST tires.

8. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I also would probably go radial. The good thing about bias ply is they don't do near the damage a radial does if you have a blow out.

9. popupmtber

popupmtber Member

Apr 4, 2018
    I always thought bias ply was better on trailers that don't get used very often (like my pop up), but if you're using it all the time then go with a radial. Is that not the case?

10. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    Bias tires are technically more resistant to "flat spotting" based on their construction. However, tire technology has improved so much that "flat spotting" isn't that big of an issue on radial tires anymore. Just about every car on the road today uses radial tires. They sit on radial tires while on a cargo ship or truck or rail for weeks at a time. Plus, after a couple of miles on the road, the "flat spotting" deformity works itself out anyways.

11. chadster

chadster Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Utah
    Well great I had no idea what "flat spotting" even was. I just barely ordered and got radials from etrailer. Should I call and switch to bias?

12. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    Radials will be fine.

13. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    No. Radials are fine. Actually I prefer Radials and have them on my HTT. I think most people here prefer Radials, but I won't speak for them.

14. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Mar 7, 2018
    I would not travel on those tires. I bought a 2009 StarCraft pup recently and we took it on a trip just 45 miles away from our house. When we returned home, I found that about a 9" section of the tread had come off of the tire. The tire looked like it was in great shape before our trip. I looked at the DOT date stamp and saw it was made in 2008. I ordered 2 new wheels (tire and rim) from Etrailer for a total of $106.

15. chadster

chadster Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Utah
    Which tires?

16. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Mar 7, 2018
    You said that the date on your tires is 2001. I would not travel on 17 year old tires. My tires were 10 years old and they started to fall apart on my first outing.

xxxapache likes this.
  17. chadster

chadster Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Utah

Oh of course. I wanted to make sure you weren't referring to a certain tire from them

18. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Mar 7, 2018
    No, just referring to your old tires. I bought the Kenda Load Star tires from Etrailer.

19. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I had the same Kenda Loadstars on my Apache for 8 years. I never had a problem.

20. rich2

rich2 Active Member

May 3, 2007
    Northampton, PA
    After twenty years of looking I finally found the exact pop up I was looking for a 1965 Cox Campsquire, spied it in someone's back yard while driving by, stop to see if he was interested in selling, and to much surprise he was, reached a good price, but I had to take it with me at that time. Got home an hour and half later. A few days later I went to paint the rims, and found out the tires were original to the camper (1965 date code), 53 years old, did I get lucky or what to make it an hour and half on 53 year old tires.

hayyward and Jeep Guy like this.