Help

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by DLC, May 15, 2019.

1. DLC

DLC New Member

Last time we had our late 70's Brandywine popped up it was fine hubby installed a electric winch only 1 end will go up the end where the crank/electric winch is will not!!Whats your thoughts broken cable something need adjusted?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota.

It could be that the cable snapped but it also could be a pulley issue. It would be easier if you had more details and maybe a pic or two.

3. DLC

DLC New Member

well we are new at this havent even gotten to take it out yet,what other details are needed i may know the answers lol

4. BikeNFish

Were there any sounds associated with it like a pop or grinding.

Why was the electric winch put on? Difficult to raise the roof by hand?

Was the roof raised at all prior to the electric winch addition. Were there any difficulties with manually raising the roof?

The more information you give, the easier it will be to pinpoint the issue.

5. DLC

DLC New Member

yes it was definatly hard to raise by hand,it was not raised at all the day the electric winch was put on till after.Yes i understand the more info the esarier to pinpoint

6. DLC

DLC New Member

last year popped up fine

Attached Files:

7. BikeNFish

It is very difficult to diagnose camper problems over the internet, but it sure sounds like it is a cable problem. With that being said, it is usually only one corner that sags when a cable breaks.

I'm hoping others will soon chime in with other ideas. Sometimes it takes a little time before other jump in.

8. DLC

DLC New Member

so it is possible for just 1 end to break?hard to fix for some one pretty machanically inclined?

9. BikeNFish

Not hard for someone mechanically inclined. The hard part is figuring out how everything works together.

10. BikeNFish

I don't know how your lift system works, but it is possible that two cables broke. Start with the winch area and work you way back to were the cable connect to the main lift system under the pup. If your cables run inside the pup, you may have to open cabinets to see the cables and where they run.

11. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

You can't fix a problem if you don't understand how a properly operating system is designed to work. Start by identifying exactly which model year your Coleman Brandywine is, then download the parts book and repair manuals that would apply to your particular unit.

https://colemanpopupparts.com/

12. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

It's very likely broken at one end. Usually they start to rust the cable ends, right by the connection, or perhaps a pulley has frozen and it wore out at that spot. You will know more soon, trust me.

With my 1984 StarCraft, I had to get it up to replace the cables. You need to uninstall the cable, and go to an RV or boat shop to have another cable cut down for you. I did mine with no books or drawings, but I don't suggest that. I'd side with GF above, firstly you need to a diagram for something in your age range and study that well. Take pics as you take yours apart, as some time will pass before removing it and installing your newly made cable.

Check back and let us know how it went! Good Luck!