Hershey RV show.

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by tombiasi, Sep 13, 2018.

1. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Just got back from Hershey. Tons of RVs for people with big$$. I did find a section with popups and A frames. Diagonally across from the building entrance. Beckley's RV.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Hope you had fun.

3. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    It was an interesting trip. I'm not sure I would go if I knew there weren't many popups or A frames.

4. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    Kinda like a boat show. Geared to big bucks.

5. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    In get it, it seems pop ups are almost an extinct breed. Hopefully you had time for the other stuff in the area. I haven't been in a dog's age but the national civil war stuff is like 45 m miniuts away. And the area does have lots to see.

6. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I know but we just went to the show and home. Stopped by Cabela's for a few minutes, boy have their prices gone out of this world.

7. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Yea, I can't afford them. Lol. I'm more of a yard sale , thrift store guy. Unless it's specific clothing , I look for used.

8. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    There is a great Army surplus store in the plaza near Cabela's tho.
    http://www.priorityonesurplus.com/

It's the neatest, most well lit, and best organized surplus store I've been in.

PopUpSteve and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Funny though how the adds always show an idyllic scene of the happy family playing around their popup camper on a lake side site in the middle of nowhere.

pudge likes this.
  10. Kampus

Kampus Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Slate Belt, Pa
    What did they charge you to get in? We were thinking of going, but cant see paying just to look.

11. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    $12 on line $14 at the door

12. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    We went to a big one in Dallas last year. The mega motorhomes and lavish fifth wheels dominated the show. They had no popups. They've really upped the ante on campers. Used to be one could find (new) economical alternatives like popups and canned hams. Now it's multi slideouts, dishwashers and washing machines and outside tv with the refer full of beer. Even the darn tents you can pitch on the roof of your car are way over 10 grand. Sure am glad I didn't buy a new one with a second mortgage. Interestingly one of the most expensive manufacturers is Air Stream and they're making a comeback and have increased profits.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  13. Kampus

Kampus Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Slate Belt, Pa
    Thanks. Not worth it. Gonna put that money toward the new battery.

14. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    Okay please allow me to explain some of the basics of the RV Shows since we haven't missed one since we first decided to get out of the tent and off the ground about 6 years ago.
    1. The reason most of what you see is high $$$ is because the spaces the dealers get charged are expensive.
    2. The cost factor of bringing out inexpensive TT's and PUP's is often not worth the amount made back.
    3. As in the Car and Boat business they want to sell the Lifestyle or "Sizzle" rather than the practicality of the experience.
    4. Yes some PUP's like my Coachman Clipper 1285 SST top out at $20k that and a few others may be the only ones you see there because again of the amount the dealership will make on the deal.
    5. Many big dealers use these events as "Gifts" or a "Bonus" for sales staff that make or exceed quotas from other parts of the nation so they want to give them the opportunity to make more money plus allow these people to enjoy the trip away.

Now we all know that a PUP or an inexpensive TT is a great way to get people away from the Tent and into the RV lifestyle since some of us move up from PUP's to TT and other types over time for various reasons but as I explained it's all about the $$$ and cost effectiveness of the event for the dealership. We always go just because it's fun to look and allow the DD's to dream a bit though we no intention of buying something beyond what we have now for several years to come. Go, dream and have fun wondering how others pay for these massive things.

15. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I am totally aware of the reasons you gave. I also think that I may show my feelings of how I experienced the show. Not everyone goes to just look, some may be looking to buy and would appreciate a collection all in one spot.
    BTW: I don't consider pup to TT "moving up"

pudge likes this.
  16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    It is a shame RV shows don't show all units but I do understand why they don't. I can agree prices that the vendors pay at a show are absolutly rediculous. It's amazing anyone could afford it at all.
    With the Hersey show, at least some dealers brought a few popups vrs none like the many other shows I've attended. However when I was looking for my next camper even though I knew I wasn't going to find one at the show I essentially interviewed the different dealers while I was there. If I didn't like their responses I moved on. If they were good at answering my questions I would visit their location. There weren't too many that did well. Beckleys was one location I visited. I still enjoy attending the shows even after I bought my camper just to see what's out there. After all today's new are tomorrows old and who knows if I ever decide to upgrade my vehicle I would probably want to upgrade my camper. I do get a kick out of seeing these huge monsters and in awww how they pack these things in like real life tetris. It gets me out of the house and in some cases a reason to go camping. Now if I was coming from a long way away, no. Not worth visiting.

17. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Jul 22, 2014
    I was there on Wednesday and saw 3 A frames and 5 Pups.

18. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    A show is an expense for a company usually included with advertising. It's not supposed to make a profit immediately.
    You probably saw the same ones I did. I don't think there were any more.

19. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    When we decided to move from a tent to an RV we went to our first RV Show here in Jax and decided that with all things considered a PUP would work best for us though we didn't like the double dinettes we saw in a bigger one. We did discover that someday after we did the PUP thing we'd probably move into a TT BH so the girls could have the fun of bunks. Now here's the funny part, we were at the FEB show 2 years ago and saw a mid-sized Jayco and loved it but the one bed was only a twin and we wanted at least a Queen and a Full and a slide out was out of the question. So what did we end up 2 months later...a 2012 Coachman Clipper 1285 SST with ALL the bells and whistles (except a radio) and even a power top from the dealer and salesman who showed us the Jayco. This last year the local Coachman Dealer (General RV) had the 1285 SST that we almost bought but was all in tans and browns that the DW hated but loves the Blues, Tans and White of the 2012 so I basically did the job of selling it for the uniformed salesman to a couple who was moving down from a major 5th wheel that they'd grown tired of dragging around but still wanted some of the toys...color obviously didn't matter to them and I should've gotten a $$ for the sale but everyone was happy and I enjoyed the banter of the sale.

Often times we find accessories we like to purchase as a discount or memberships that we didn't know existed. We also take the kids and then get free promo items that helps to off set the entry cost though there's always a 2-for-1 discount one of the 3+ days and the DD's are free for another year.

It's like going to the boat or car shows with no intention of buying but you go to look anyway and for the guys and some of the ladies it's window shopping at it's peak...now if the shops like REI, Dick's or other Sporting Goods places had such an even that would be great, especially around Christmas or Easter.

20. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    I haven't been to hershey show in about 7 years. It was either seeing garbage models or high dollar models. None of the middle of the road quality/practical units you see most often on the road.