High Hitch Weight

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by Nani2, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Member

Jul 9, 2018
    I am looking at a Flagstaff hard side to pull with my minivan rated at 3500 lbs. The hitch weight is 341 and unit weight is 2312 dry. My towing calculations on husky come out to 15% hitch weight. As I understand, that is the max I want to be.
    It has the storage box along the front. When this is loaded, would that put me way over my hitch weight percentage or am I confused here? Or do I load the van and leave camper storage empty?

2. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    We have an A-frame with a front storage box, and found it all too easy to load it to the point where tongue weight was excessive. The closer weight is to the coupler, the more of it goes to tongue weight.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    With the hitch weight and dry weight being this high, you will at your max real quick by the time you add your gear, water, propane, battery etc

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    . I agree the biggest problem about that front trunk is everything gets dumped in there and all that adds weight to your tongue. Question, do you know if the numbers you provided are the gross weight or dry weight numbers? If dry weight you are going to be over by the time you add propane and battery no weight. Sadly dry weight does not include the battery weight, propane, or any other "options" such as AC etc. Also note that on your vehicle the tow rating may only be based on just the driver and a full tank of gas. So if you add the weight of your family and gear you may not be able to tow as much as it says. Best to calculate by using your payload cappacity so you know exactly how much weight you can play with.

5. Nani2

Nani2 Member

Jul 9, 2018
    This has the "cool cat" so I think air is included in factory weight.
    My other numbers are almost everything loaded into minivan and the dry and hitch weight. I did not add battery--where would that be?

6. Nani2

Nani2 Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Is there a way to load my van or the camper in rear to bring this down?

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The A/C is not included in the Dry weight along with other options like water heaters & furnace. No mater how you look at it you will not have much room for anything.

Snow likes this.
  8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Yes you could do this....but then you will have a more serious issue...SWAY. You want to keep at least 10-15% of total weight in the tongue to prevent sway

9. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    The only way I would worry about excessive tongue weight is if I was going to overload my hitches tongue weight capacity and/or the vehicles RAWR. Too little tongue causes problems with the trailers handling. The only way that too much tongue weight will cause problems if it overloads the tongue itself causing it to bend or if it is too much for the tow vehicle. If it would overload the hitches rated capacity but not the tow vehicles than you might be able to buy a greater capacity hitch.