High mileage TV

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Beekeeper1, Feb 24, 2019.

1. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

SBC? For the "Acronym" page.

We had a mechanic at work that was always doing some preventative maintenance to his old truck. Changing belts, changing hoses, flush the cooling system, adding this and that to oil or gas or whatever. He had more issues and leaks than anyone else with his vehicles. Some radiator flush is acidic and can cause leaks in old radiators and attack hoses. It can also stop up small passages in the radiator from stuff flushed out of the engine. Do you ever get all the flush out?

My old F150 has never been flushed, still has the original hoses, use a 50/50 (rust inhibitor & water pump lubricant) and anti-freeze, if I need to add fluid. Transmission fluid was finally changed when the extra cooler was added six months ago. Both shop guys, maintenance and transmission, said they would drive the truck anywhere. Headed to Florida in April.

Brett1962 likes this.
  2. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 Member

Lol. Small Block Chevy. Shorthand for the ubiquitous 350ci v8 found in Chevy’s since the Jurassic period.

Brett1962 likes this.
  3. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 Member

I don’t use a flush product per se. I just run some distilled water through the system to flush out all the old coolant and then refill with new coolant. Nothing fancy. I usually do it once per ever on any higher mileage vehicle I own. Lol.

Brett1962 likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Years ago I had an AMC Concord with a straight 6. It was constantly overheating. I hooked my parents pool pump to the engine and blew out so much white/brown garbage (looked like scale and sand). Never over heated again.
    My truck isn't that bad. I'm sure. The anti-freeze is still orange.

Brett1962 and supersaiyan93 like this.
  5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I towed for many years untill 2 years ago with with a 2001 toyota sienna which had 235k the last time I towed. Just this summer I took it to my DD to use 1300 miles each way. No concerns. Only reason for a new TV was to increase the tow capacity to 5K.

I have had the van since 2008 when it had 59k miles. I have maintained the van, changed fluids and know the maintenance history. If I did not know the maintenance history. I would not tow on the long trips we took.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Brett1962 likes this.
  6. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

We've got 156k miles on our 1998 Jeep Cherokee. Plan to drive it for at least another 70k miles as well. Have about 6 trips planned for the summer, nothing super far but as long as you keep a close eye on the maintenance, I think my vehicle is just as reliable as any newer vehicle (And a lot cheaper to repair). The biggest problem with the Jeep is bad maintenance from the previous owner I've been catching up on since I owned the vehicle.

Brett1962 likes this.
  7. WrkrBee

I learned something during this weeks camping trip. Tow vehicles tires, also age out. As always, vehicle, camper, and spare tire pressures are checked and topped off, if needed the night before. Monday we headed to Calhoun Falls campground 1.5 hours away. Ten miles from McCormick, I lost the right rear tire to a steel belt separating. Changed it on the side of the road putting the spare on. When I dropped the truck spare, I realized it was pretty old, maybe one of the originals 22 years old. Got to McCormick, with 2 tire shops and neither had a tire, new or used. One suggested I call A1 Tire in Abbeville. They could get an off brand tire that would work by 3:30. Off we go on the old spare another 22 miles. Finally got the tire after 4:00, due to delivery truck break down. Got the tire changed and headed to the campground. Then felt another vibration, so we slowed down made it to the campground and set up. Tuesday we jacked up the left rear and sure enough, had a broke belt in that tire. I put the same old spare tire on the left rear for the 19 mile trip back to A1. Called A1 Tire, made an appointment for 8:00 Wednesday morning to replace all the tires after checking the tire date. Tires were made in 2004, so 15 years old with good looking tread. I had a full set of Michelin tires at the house from a service award. I caught a ride back to the house with some friends that were leaving camp that day and going close by the house. Since their rig was too big to turn around on a dead end, they dropped me off at the top of the road and I walked 1/2 mile home. I picked up the tires, put them in the wife's car, and 1.5 hours back to the campground. So, the truck got all new shoes on it Wednesday morning, and a new off brand spare tire. We should be good for Florida in April now.

Five stars for A1 Tire in Abbeville. They were reasonable, and did everything they could to get us back on the road. The little Country Cafe next door gets five stars, too. We ate there while waiting on the first tire to be delivered.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 2:07 PM
    Beekeeper1 likes this.
  8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

The other thing to do is add air to the tv tires. Tv have a tire pressure listed, but that does not take into account for the extra weight of the tongue weight. When towing I always air up the tv to the max tire pressure l8sted in the side walls.

9. WrkrBee

Door numbers are 29/32 psi. I was running 36 to 38 psi in the rear tires. Camper tongue weight is 160 lbs. Two bicycles, dutch oven, charcoal, camper spare tire, jack, two extension cords, gallon of oil, and 3 gallons of water were in the bed. Not overloaded by any means. I have towed around Florida, Georgia, and SC like this with no issues. I checked the DOT date on the front tires that came off and it is 1304. So they were made in the 13th week of 2004, and are 15 years old. Probably over half the tread is left. Time passes faster the older you get.