High Wall 277 - is it a? an RV? a trailer? using reserveca! Help. Thx!

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by Kati "Chirp" Blackledge, Dec 1, 2018.

HI there. In the past, we have gone to the desert or mountains, mostly boon docking. We have been to a few campgrounds, but things were pretty clear. Today, we tried to use the reserveCA thing, and it has changed a lot since we last used it. There is no clear specification on sites that allow pop ups and since ours is fully hook-up-able, I am not sure how to book. Of course, we couldn't get a normal trailer - had to get a unicorn. haha. Any thoughts?

1. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    hum - i never considered our HW277 abnormal - we had a great time with it. Whenever we made reservation anywhere, we called it a trailer or a camper, do not recall ever seeing a category for a popup. we would look for any 30 amp site that we would fit in with the camper opened up. they really won't care when you arrive.

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I hear the new ca reservation system is a zoo. If this helps I know we always use a trailer, define what services we need and later we select pupup when making the reservation.

3. "I spend a lot of money to go sit in the woods" - I LOVE that. 30 amp site - OK... today I was seeing 50 amp and 30 and I was like - oh crap which one! Thanks! OK thanks... we have just gone out to the desert last weekend and it was pretty great except the battery died, and it was so cold - but we had awesome blankets so it wasn't too bad. We are learning the quirks and addressing them...

4. It was quite awful - there are so many choices, and if you click one wrong thing it teleports you to another site... argh... and it now only opens one day at a time. That is fine - there were a lot of spots open for June 1st, and I tried to book for 3 days and it let me... I imagine that each day a new day opens but since you can only get 7 days, the next big one is going to be Dec 7th for June 7th or the 8th?

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    If you have to raise the roof, it's a PopUp.

I would think they are more concerned with the length (no jokes, too easy). The category of what type of camper or if it's a tent, may just be for areas which don't allow canvas. Or perhaps to allow the staff to identify the occupant.

6. GalsofEscape

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    usually 50 amp sites will also have the 30 amp connection available. I carried a 50 amp to 30 amp conversion just in case - but i have never had to use it. (yep - money outlay was not so much in the tenting days, the budget has gone up considerably when we got the campers).

7. This is a real question here - why don't some places allow canvas? I am not kidding, I really don't know.

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Bears!

And at some private campgrounds, they feel they're better people than people who own PopUps.

9. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    Status symbol thing, PUPs are not worthy of being next to the big rigs.

10. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    If you are going out to the desert dry camping. Look into a 100 watt portable suit case solar panel. You just clip it on to you battery like jumper cables. It will recharge your battery every day if the sun is out. Change you light bulbs to led , they will use about 10 percent for the same brightness of light.

We do a fair amount of cold weather camping, but we don't have the sun very often in the winter. But if the weather
    Person forcast sunny days. Solar panels come with us. Otherwise it a Honda generator.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  11. GalsofEscape

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    the private campgrounds that do not allow popups usually have "resort" in their name. they also post their rules on their web site, some will even limit the age of the RV to 10 years or less. call them and ask to be sure before you make the reservation if you have any doubt.
    state and federal parks are usually ok - the only federal park that i am aware of the does not allow canvas is Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone (and canvas includes hybrid trailers and tents). looks like you are trying to make reservations in a CA state park - at least here on the east coast, i have not run into a state park yet that excludes canvas.

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I don't know of any California state park that doesn't allow popups. Use "trailer" for your type because that is what it is. A trailer site will accommodate a popup without issue. "Tent sites" are usually limited to actual tents and are usually due to one of three reasons:

1. The parking pad is just big enough to fit a car, not a car and trailer;

2. There is only a general parking lot for the vehicles and then you walk out to your camping sites that are blocked from the parking lot by trees, boulders, hills, etc.; or

3. The park has established "separate but equal" loops for tents and RVs (often in response to generator noise and/or view blocking).

As mentioned above, public campgrounds are unlikely to have restrictions on specific RV types (unless they have a safety issue they can fall back on - like Fishing Bridge and bears). Private RV parks often have restrictions and thwy are usually very arbitrary (personal bias of the park owners, generalization of the people in the type of RV, etc.). I have not yet heard of insurance reasons for the restrictions.

13. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    If there are limitations in a CA state park, they will probably be length. And then you have to determine if it's due to the length of the parking spot or the tight turns in the campground.

CA bears, as you know, don't care if you're in a popup or a tank. If they want in, they're in. :)