Hitch ball loosening after each trip

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by cdawson46, Aug 8, 2018.

1. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Active Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    I've never greased a hitch ball.
    Never had one come loose either.

But, correct drawbar, lock washer and tightened to spec, you should never have an issue with it.

durhamcamper, Sjm9911 and xxxapache like this.
  2. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    The moral of this story I think is don’t get your attorney to install the hitch ball.

myride, tombiasi, jnc and 5 others like this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    My balls, ahem, get run tight with an impact... have never had one come loose... have seen other people deal with this, however....

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I can never get them off when I need to. This means that I collect Hitches.

J Starsky likes this.
  5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Mine is this way... put mount in the hitch. but the ball in the hole. then at under the mount insert lock washer then nut. tighten it as hard as you can. If you have to, go nearby college and ask a football player do it for you.

6. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    I've never greased either.....don't want the mess when I contact it with my shin. I sometimes wonder if I should after reading on these forums but haven't gone as far as actually doing so. Would there be any wear caused without lubrication? I tighten with a large closed ended wrench while the drawbar is inserted in the receiver and it has been fine.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Just an idea, I looked at some hitches on Amazon. Some reviews said the nut was loose on there hitch. So it could be a manufacturing problum. Additionally , sometime you get a cheap kock off unit instead of what you purchase. I bought a oem jeep part. Looked and installed like an good part. The stainless steel screws rusted In a week.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    If you had ever been though an accident investigation with the involved manufactures and their attorneys present, you would know how important the details are. Example: torqued to 350 lbs and the torque wrench was recalibrated on ??. How much thread stretch is there? etc etc

WVhillbilly likes this.
  9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    The majority of torque wrenches used are uncalibrated, especially home shops, but will still get you close. At work, the only ones that get calibrated are the ones used to set up the production process. I'll admit that I do not know what the calibration requirements are for a automotive / RV shop. An attorney can find something and manipulate data to prove their case.

10. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    Maybe I'm in the minority but I have my tirtor wrench checked every 6 months. The old click type typically had to be sent out about 1.5 to 2 years, my digital ones are still true after 4 years. I'm just a mechanic, I take pride in my work and I like to do things once. My tool dealer checks them for free, sends them out if necessary so I'll have a certificate of accuracy

neighbormike likes this.
  11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    My torque wrench ifs from Harbor freight, it must be accurate.

12. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    lock washer may have gone bad.

Matt Benoit likes this.
  13. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Make sure too check the expiration date! Lmfao

Halford likes this.
  14. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    You laugh, but they can only be reused so many times. When you loosen the nut and it doesn't decompress much it's time to replace it.if they be are old and rusty and it's easy to compress it's time to replace it. Severely over tightening can weaken the lock nut, however at that point the ball is going to snap or it's so tight you probably won't be able to remove it.

15. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    I was making a joke.

16. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    hahahahha

Matt Benoit likes this.
  17. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    I know, but that doesn't mean there's not some truth to what Halford said.