Hitch coupler

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by dar, Apr 12, 2017.

1. dar

dar New Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Frisco Tx
    Has anyone ever replaced their hitch coupler. Have 1988 Coleman Sequioa and would like to have a new one, along with bars that hold the propane tank. Both have been damaged and there is no way for me to straighten them out, with out making them weak. I would just feel better that section brand new. thanks in advance.

2. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Have never had to replace a coupler, but have built several trailers for work and farm purposes, and have customized front end racks on our Aframe. In my seldom humble opinion, replacing a coupler should be done with care. You really want things to be correctly aligned. When building a trailer coupler installation is a situation where everything is measured twice, pieces tacked in place, then measured again before final weld up. Racks for batteries, propane tanks, BAL Leveler and the like are easy to make from 1x1x1/8 steel stock, and can be welded in place or attached with nuts and bolts or large self tapping screws.

3. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Do you mean replacing the tongue? The tongue would be a much larger project than replacing the coupler. Some couplers are welded on but some are bolted on.

4. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    I replaced mine, in fact built a whole new upgraded A frame tongue. I upgraded the coupler to 8,000 lbs and built a new propane tank holder and battery box. This was all accomplished by custom fabrication and all boxed and welded. I would stay away from screws of any kind except graded bolts for any part of it. If you do not have the skills yourself, have it professionally done by a qualified shop.

Attached Files:

5. soft 17

soft 17 Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    Have done it many times on trailers. Both weld on and bolt on. I prefer the Bull Dog type.

6. etrailerJohn

etrailerJohn Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Wentzville, MO
    It is indeed possible to replace your existing coupler, but the one you choose and how you attach it to the trailer tongue will depend on what you currently have. I'd recommend replacing your current coupler with the same style, ball size and capacity as the one you currently have.

I'd recommend welding the replacement coupler in place, as well as having a professional welder who has experience in fabricating or repairing trailer frames repair your a-frame. This is not a job you should trust to a back yard welder.

I've linked you to an article with more information about replacing a coupler on an A-frame trailer.

WWW.ETRAILER.COM/EXPERT-44.HTML

soft 17 likes this.