Holes in gizmos?

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by adrianpglover, Aug 7, 2015.

1. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    Anyone ever experience holes in their gizmos? I haven't checked the gizmo itself yet, but looks like there's a hole from inside the camper.

[​IMG]

2. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    How old are they? Mine are 3 years old and the coating is coming off in spots leaving a similar look from inside. Seems to probably be in the area of creases from being folded for storage in our case

3. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    Yes, what he said ^^^^^^^^^^

I believe it's called a gizmoriasis!

4. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I know that the SHW are not waterproof. I think some water gets in where the straps are stitched on but that looks like a small part of PUG is not tucked under the roof.... assuming thats the valence I see on the left.

But one of mine has the "foil" coming off... could be that like the others say. I left mine on for over 3 weeks in high winds... against what Bob advises on popupgizmo.com

5. adrianpglover

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    Re: Holes in gizmos?

This is the third time we've used them. Just makes me wonder how long they'll actually last.

The PUG isn't folded back and is in full sun. Still can't see the PUG itself where this light is getting through, but it seems to be the wearing issue previously described.

6. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    I am pretty sure one that I am using go's back to our popup which would be about its 6th season. I'm also pretty sure it has numerous areas like in your picture you can see through when its in direct sun. It still seems to mostly do its job though.

We do numerous weekend to weekend + trips every year so ours are getting a lot of exposure.

7. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I've never heard of Bob at PUGs saying no to a reasonable customer before, so when you can check them, if they are flaking off prematurely, call him and fill him in. I'd be surprised if you were not happy when you hung up the phone.

8. adrianpglover

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    That's been my impression of him too. When I get a chance to look them over next I'll give him a ring and see what he says. Might just be expected.

9. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Call me this week so we can figure out what's up or what needs to be done. We'll be glad to help and resolve as needed.

Thanks,

Bob Pitney
    www.popupgizmos.com
    972-849-9240

10. adrianpglover

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    Talked to Bob yesterday. He explained what was going on. I'll try to put down what he said, hopefully without too many errors.

The silver coating is actually a layer of aluminum. It is heat rolled onto the backer material. If a cold spot develops in the heat roller, then the aluminum won't bond properly. This isn't necessarily evident when looking at the material when it's on the roll. Once the cold spot is subjected to UV light, the aluminum actually starts pulling back from the places it didn't get boned properly, leaving the dark spots on the gizmos, which allow the light to pass through. Since it is a fairly small sized "hole" in the overall cover, percentage wise it's still blocking 99% or better of the original amount of light from the sun that it originally did.

At any rate, Bob had me send him an email with my information and he's going to be sending me a new set of gizmos for free. I love it when a business will have customer service like this and wish I could find a hardware and auto parts store with owners like this. I'd even go as far to say that this goes beyond customer service.

11. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    Bob is a very personable guy and has a great reputation for taking care of his customers. As I said before mine have been doing the same thing but they still work very well. If I keep the trailer more than a couple more years then I will just order another set from him to replace the current ones.