Home away from home security

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by c-mans willi, Mar 27, 2010.

1. c-mans willi

c-mans willi New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Do any of you bring any kind of self protection while camping? I don't just mean the kind that go "bang". Something like pepper spray, stungun, a bat, etc.

I never even thought about it when I was young, but it seems that things have changed. I know that a lot of people have lost their homes because of the economy. Many have been forced to pack their families into campers and live at CG fulltime. Hey, you've got to do what you've got to do to keep a roof over your family's head.

My point is that times have changed and that has led to desperation among many. Do you feel the need to take protective measures while camping during these tough economic times?

This topic is not meant to anger anyone. Please don't flame me. This is something that worries me when trekking to the restrooms at 3AM. For some reason, I feel especially vulnerable walking into those bright lights.

2. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

No I don't feel the need to take any kind of personal protection with me of any kind, and quite frankly the day I do feel the need for it is the day I will leave the camper at home or sell it.

3. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

Feb 8, 2009
    Winder GA
    I feel real safe at the CG. It's the trip to and from, and any outward ventures that I worry about. I hardly ever leave the house without my favorite choice of protection though. I've seen too much out here to be without it.

Keeping your stuff secure and letting your neighbors know that you are aware of their presence is a good idea. Even in the woods I don't let my guard down.

I've talked with some transient folks at CGs before. Everyone of them has been a good, honest person and were happy to not be shunned. They're nice to have around while you're out. Chances are they'll be the ones with a view of your site while you are out playing. If they know who you are and that you're friendly, they'll look out for you as you would for them.

It's pretty easy to be kicked out of a CG by a ranger or management, they usually like to play by the rules and keep a low profile.

4. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    I feel very safe camping. We use mostly federal and state parks which have limits on how long people can camp. I think it is just a matter of using common sense and being aware of your surroundings.

5. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

Aug 7, 2009
    FL
    We tend to stick with safe campgrounds away from any city of decent size except the one close here to home since it is behind a gate and has 24/7 security.

Also with me being 6'5", the dangerous types are less likely to mess with me anyways [:D]

6. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I guess a pie iron across the head would do the job [}:)] Really, if we had any concerns about safety, we would not stay there. Campers in general are great folks!

7. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

May 29, 2009
    Western Colorado
    I"m pretty sure that this topic has been hashed out in a couple of other threads previously. Many different opinions have been expressed, all of them correct for the individual poster. I seemed that a lot of the responses were keyed to where the camper was staying, private campgrounds, National/State parks, boondocking, where ever. The bottom line looked like the individual took whatever level of protection that they felt comfortable with.
    MR

8. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

Feb 1, 2007
    i alway wear my folding Buck knife on my belt when camping. It is a handy tool for all sorts of situations.. [;)]

9. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

Aug 16, 2009
    East Texas
    Never felt like I needed any protection in a camp ground but heard the other day from a police officer that they recommend in general, instead of pepper spray(you have to get too close to the person) use wasp spray. Keep it in your home, by the bed, ect. These will shoot 20ft. and will defend you better than the others and at a safer distance. That person will only be thinking about getting to the emergency room to get this stuff out of their eye's.

10. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

Jun 14, 2008
    Mine Hill NJ
    I have never worried about it and I have stayed in all types of camping areas. Buts that's me, my wife feels different. Maybe I should get a pie iron for her. [:D]

11. redfragglerocker

redfragglerocker Jen & Mike, Andrew (8) and Justin (5)

Aug 28, 2007
    Clarence, NY
    I've never really felt unsafe while camping, although I tend to feel safe almost anywhere and trust my gut feeling and instincts as they are usually correct.

I do keep a six cell mag-light in the camper or within reach when camping, this is as good as a bat or baton if something was to happen. If I every felt so unsafe that I would need something more dangerous, I would leave the area first, if I could.

I know that I have scared a few people at night, usually while walking to the bathrooms or out to see the stars. I hate that many people have learned to be so over-cautious and nervous around others that they are immediately on the defensive and suspicious of others. This is less prevalent while camping, but it still exists. We used to get along a lot better as a society and community, these days it is all about ourselves and our fears.

12. Larry NC

Larry NC Life is Camping, the rest is waiting

Mar 9, 2009
    I generally feel a sense of community while camping. Even if I have not spoken with neighbors, although that's not common. The DW and I usually will stop by and introduce ourselves.

The other thing we do, is havg a sign, "Marie and Larry Charlotte, NC"
    It's a conversation starter.

All that said, I put locks on the bicycles when we aren't there, carry the camera and laptop in the TV.

The best thing way to avoid being a victim is to avoid being the easiest target.

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I agree, don't leave the expensive stuff in the pup. It's only inviting someone to take it. We keep the electronics locked in the TV when we are not there unless some hangs out at the site. We also lock the bikes under the rear bunk to the bumper.

Better safe than sorry!

14. JoshBreen

JoshBreen New Member

Feb 27, 2010
    We have two 90 pound dogs that are completely friendly but have a great sense when they come across someone with bad intentions. They then growl and let us know who to stay away from...although at that point the hoodwinks usually stay away by themselves!!!

15. mobileNoble

mobileNoble New Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Security is one of the advantages of camping with your dogs. The best guard dogs are the noise makers, not the biters. My 96 pound German Shepard may lick you to death, but he appears menacing to unwelcome visitors.

16. JoshBreen

JoshBreen New Member

Feb 27, 2010
    I completely agree! they can sense someone's (or something's) presence long before I could!

17. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Jul 5, 2009
    Colorado mountains!
    I do conceal-carry, and when camping always have a boat/air horn in the popup, too. At home, the air-horn has chased away numerous bears, and has never failed! They work at a greater distance than pepper or wasp spray.

As far as people in a campground... Bonnie (Sheltie) is always camping with me. She's the 'nervous' type, is ALWAYS on guard-duty, and will bark at anything. :) And as long as people don't 'tresspass' into my campsite at night, Bonnie seems to leave them alone, with just a subtle and soft 'growl.' She has her own, and very good sense of 'boundaries'. During daylight hours when I'm awake, she's everybody's best pal.

I've never had anything stolen while in a campground.

That having been said, there are still LOTS of great people out there that, without asking, help protect everybody else... the ones that call 911 or alert the 'right' person when they see something beyond suspicious... lots of people that have a good heart that just instinctively go into 'protection mode', even when it's not their stuff/person being threatened.

Those people with 'dark motives', in general, I don't think hang out in campgrounds, and think campgrounds are very safe places, 'cause there's just too many of 'us' looking out for each other. Neighbors in a campground may not want to be your best friends, but am certain they're hoping you'll look out for them, just as we're hoping they'll look out for us.

18. dupreet

dupreet New Member

We often have a four-footed security guard along; either a wolf-hybrid or the 112# Saint Bernard. So far, we haven't had any issues! [:D]

In a pinch, I could grab a couple long metal hotdog/marshmellow roasting forks we have around!!

Seriously, we try to make it a habit not to display electronics, pocketbooks, and other high-dollar items. If we leave the campsite, anything of 'real' value is either stashed in a good hiding place, or locked in the van. The vast majority of the time, campers are a good lot. If you were too paranoid, you would be concerned for your camp chairs, lanterns, etc......sometimes you just have to trust people.

19. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    We have a protective dog for an early warning system and first response intruder defense. It works both at home and at the campsite. In the event that system fails, I usually have 357 reasons on hand why harm should steer clear of me and mine

20. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Michigan
    DH is not a camper so I'm usually with other gal pals and/or my daughter and grandsons. While I've never had any problems or reasons to be nervous, I do keep an axe at my bedside at night. It's more for my peace of mind than it is a necessity.

Otherwise, keeping the grandkids out of harms way is a priority, of course, and if we're leaving the campsite for any reason, picking up our stuff so it isn't begging to be stolen.

I have a Scottish Terrier who is very protective, but he's not very big. I wouldn't trust him to save my life. [:D]