How closed is closed?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by KTown_Rico, Jun 13, 2018.

1. KTown_Rico

KTown_Rico New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    Hi there,

We bought a Jayco 10SD new last fall and we've used it three times since. Now that I'm getting more familiar with it I've noticed that the roof doesn't exactly close all the way. I'll post a picture when I'm back home this evening to show you what I mean but essentially the aluminum or steel rim of the room which is made to go around the lower part of the pop up does so on one side but not the other and on the front but not the rear. Basically on the right side (near the door) the roof and lower part actually rub on each other and the paint and metal have actually worn. Is it normal that the roof doesn't actually overlap the whole trailer or is this something that can be adjusted? I've tried latching the side that doesn't overlap first but that doesn't help at all.

I may be premature in posting given that I forgot to take pictures but given that you gals and guys are experts I thought a post my be enough to get a bit of info in the interim.

Great forum by the way, I've gotten lots of use out of it already!

All the best!

-Rick

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Glad you find the Portals interesting and knowledgeable, everyone on here tries to assist anyone that needs it .Pictures help and info about the unit are normally necessary. There are quite a few members from Canada. Good Luck and happy Camping

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Something doesn't sound right. With no stabilizers down raise the roof and measure the four corner heights. They should be close. If not a cable adjust maybe needed. Next lower the roof almost all the way and measure again. Again should be close. Just to add sometimes things on the bunks can hold the roof from closing correctly. And never raise or lower the roof with the stabilizers down. The stabilizers are only to take the wiggle out not to jack the camper of the ground.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Opps ... almost forgot ...... 6ad4135f4a202c41426d6f8c1f8a6abc--welcome-to-group.jpg

5. KTown_Rico

KTown_Rico New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Thanks for the advice, I didn't know this. To be honest, I've always had the stabilizers down while lifting or lowering. I also keep them lowered while parked in the driveway as a further deterrent to theft. Should I have them up while parked and the trailer not in use?

As far as raising it and measuring I'll do that in the next few days (rain in the forecast until Friday).

Attached are some pictures and descriptions: PS, It's a 2018 Jayco 10SD
    Picture 1 shows the rear of the trailer. You can see that the left side is "closed" more than the right side.
    1_rear.jpg
    Picture 2 is a closer shot of the right side of picture one. You can see from it that the lip is resting on the rubber corner piece and it's causing it to wear.
    2_left_right.jpg
    Picture 3 shows the worst area. You can see in it that the edge (by the door) is worn down to metal and that the top is nowhere near coming down over the edge of the lower part.
    3_left_side_above_door.jpg
    Picture 4 shows the rest of that same side between the door and the rear of the trailer. Same as above, the lip is nowhere near overlapping the bottom.
    4_same_side_as_door.jpg

I messed these up but if you look at "5_front.jpg" in the thumbs below you'll see that the lip sits better between the door and the front of the trailer.

Thanks for the tips and advice.

Attached Files:

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    The stabilizers tighten too much can "rack/twist/push together" the body. Make the doors hard to open etc.
    How about the latches they should be adjustable also.

7. myride

myride Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Check your manual Jayco may be different but mine states (Coleman) Stabs UP
    while raising or lowering top. As far as while parked for anti-theft....I do the same but don't let any "weight" rest on them.
    Have you tried a lil wiggle on the top after lowering to see if there is something hanging up? It may slip into proper position once you've done this....if not, there is definitely something out of alignment as far as I can tell.

8. KTown_Rico

KTown_Rico New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Tried "tightening" the latches on the side that doesn't seem to close as much and clasping that side first in the hopes that it would pull the roof to that side a bit more. The back end (where the roof is coming down on the rubber) actually saw the rivets pop right out of the latch. Luckily this happened at home so I was able to pop some new ones in, loosen it off a bit, and clamp it down but no tighter than you see in the pics.

If this rain subsides tonight I'll raise the roof and take measurements (after lifting the stabilizers :smiley:.) I'll report back.

Thanks for the replies!

9. KTown_Rico

KTown_Rico New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    The roof seems to go all the way down with no issue at all but actually rests on the rim of the lower part. When I'm able to get it up I'll "wiggle" it partway down to see if there's any change.

You guys are great!

10. myride

myride Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    I was thinking once its down give it a little wiggle to see if it may "seat" properly by slipping over all 4 corners.

11. KTown_Rico

KTown_Rico New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Ah... Got it! Thanks. Will let you know how it works.

myride likes this.