How did you get started?

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Komodo, Jun 1, 2015.

1. catseye

catseye all I remember is dirt...sky...dirt...ambulance

Jul 11, 2014
    Raleigh NC
    we borrowed my folks Pace Arrow 39' for a trip to Disney World with our son. We had such a great time, 2 kids later we bought our own "RV", a coleman apache. The kids loved the rv resorts, and it was very nice to be able to enjoy all the activities and amenities. Now we are retiring, and going to enjoy weekend trips until the day comes when we get a tt and take off for an extended trip.....

2. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Member

Jul 18, 2005
    I did not camp as a child and grew up as a "city girl". However, about 20 years ago, I bought a used Coleman Pop-Up to make weekends at the beach affordable. Then, very surprisingly, found that I love camping. Sold the Coleman, bought a Rockwood, then a HW Niagara and now - my retirement camper - an Aliner.

While the kids were growing up, it was a way to get away for an inexpensive vacation, summers at the lake serving as camphosts or quick weekend trips. Now it is our (sometimes joined by kids, who are teens and older) "faux home" for peace and quiet away from a very busy life. Fingers crossed, I will retire in 6 years and enjoy this unexpected "hobby" even more!

3. Black Bear

Black Bear Active Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Growing up, our family took several 1-2 week long, cross country camping trips, with just a Plymouth Duster & a 4-man canvas tent.
    I then started backpacking a lot through the Boy Scouts & learned to love the forest.
    We then moved to the San Juan Islands in Washington. There we lived in the forest so camping stopped for quite a few years.
    I moved back down to California & got married. She was not a camper at that time, but I took her to Calaveras Big Trees for a day trip & she fell in love with the forest like I did. Next Christmas we bought a bunch of camping gear & tent camped all over California for years.
    About 9 years ago we purchased our PU & haven't looked back since. We camp more now than when we had the tent! About the time we bought the PU we discovered we love beach camping. Now we do pretty much half forest & half beach or coastal camping.

4. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Growing up in an outdoor family in New England, especially New Hampshire I experienced many kinds of camping, from US Army shelter halves and #10 cans to wall tents at BSA summer camps to three face "camps" (a primitive three sided log shelter). Remember fondly several long car camping trips with my parents. Three summers of squiring scouts backpacking through the White Mtns; favorite trip was N-S traverse of the Presidentials, then down through the Pemigewasset. Only trailers in my life then were farm equipment or for moving boats and canoes.

A 1959 trip to BSA's Philmont Scout Ranch in NM and a lot of reading excited me about the West, and came out to Colorado State for an education. Fell in quickly with hunters and fishermen, and again camped in tents of various types. After just one trip with a guy with a trailer I figured out that a warm, dry place to sleep that required little set up was the way to maximize time in the field. Since then have used a Mitchell truck camper and a Red Dale trailer (had propane lighting). For a few years when work schedules were flexible we wrestled with a big wall tent, but that required leaving on Thursday for a Saturday start of elk season. Neat set up, but too much work!

For several years we tried staying in motels in Craig, Montrose, Kremmling, etc., but that required longer drives than we liked to get to the streams and hunting country. Also meant spending a lot of money in restaurants. Another thing that has been happening is that several outdoor companions have developed age related infirmities that keep them home.

So, wife and I started looking at various trailers. Wanted one that set up quickly, big enough for two comfortably, but could handle three or four if necessary. Wanted something that could be towed by the Jeep Liberty we had then. Wound up with a one year old Chalet Arrowhead [ALPU] with the optional higher sidewalls and off road suspension (misnomer- but it will handle all but the roughest USFS & BLM roads). It has met our needs very well, tho' in a few years we might move up to an aframe with a cassette toilet. With a 16 gallon water tank, double propane tanks, two batteries and 120 watts of solar capacity it works fine for late season hunting and fishing.

Getting in contact with the popup and pointy trailer communities has been a blessing. Last July we went to an Aliner Owners Club rally north of Gunnison and had a great time with great people. Considering attending the 2016 Colorado Popup Forum Rally promoted by KitPhantom. (see her posts)

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have camped as long as I can remember, we could not afford tents and used to camp on pallets by the fire when I was really young,
    for cooking we either used a smudge pot, or open fire. Those were the days and I am forever grateful to my Mom and Dad for showing /teaching me the great outdoors, just as did with my kids an Grand children..

6. SqueaknMCrack

SqueaknMCrack Air Force Brat. Army Mom

Feb 23, 2012
    Grew up camping. As a kid every summer we would pack up, From McGuire AFB NJ head to Carver Massachusetts, Shady Acres Family Campground. We would also pitch the tent on the Base Provided campground where we lived. I was in the Girl Scouts, so of course I went camping with them. When we moved to Carolina Beach, we lived across the street from CB State Park. I would grab my tent and go "get lost" and boondock. Camp right there beside the Cape fear river. Watch the land glow from the Glow in the dark jellyfish.... Sunny Point Nuclear terminal was right across from my fav site.... Cannot camp there now without getting arrested..... When I had my daughter I kept the fever going, she is now 22 and Married, to an avid camper. Hoping to keep the fire burning in both of my sons, they are 12 & 6. The youngest LOVES camping, the oldest "can I stay home?"

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Like a lot of others it first started in scouts. I particularly remember one cool crisp morning waking up at dawn crawling out of my tent overlooking a small lake with fog drapped over it. Starting the fire with my leaders guidance just before the rest of the troop woke up was just so pleasant, peacefully relaxing. When I went as far as I could in scouts mom (who attended a lot of those campouts with me) went out and bought a popup camper so that she could continue our campouts this time with the family. Although the boys were a little too much city slickers and became huge party poopers the older they got. Eventually moms popup trailer became mine as they advanced to a bigger TT and remained more of a permant site where as my camping branched out into adventures. Camping out closer to the mountains, lakes, rivers setting up as a base camp as I took my love of kyaking and hiking and combined it with camping. Camping has allowed me to go on these adventures way cheaper than hotels and out more often. I still find myself waking up at dawn most mornings on my camping trips just to catch the sunrise, sitting in front of my small campfire sipping coffee enjoying the pleasant morning before everyone else gets up.

8. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    Was there any connection between those two? :)

9. Novarich

Novarich Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Started in the scouts in the 70's like many others. I stopped camping in high school and started tent camping again in 1989. My marriage was in the crapper and used camping to spend quality time with my sons. Still doing the same with my sons and nephews. And hopefully the same with grand children. Moving up to a pup last year helps me get out more. We still use the tents and gear when a large group comes along.

10. Justhavefun

Justhavefun God made the Earth beautiful so we can go camping!

Sep 18, 2013
    My DW and I went camping as children a lot with our parents growing up and both of our families did a out west trip Both from different parts of the country but doing the same thing. As we both got older (still not together) we camped with our friends from time to time. So a couple of years after we got together we started camping again. And we have been going more and more often ever since. So 3 years ago we bought our first popup 1999 coleman niagra, now we have 2005 niagra. We often talk about this topic with each other and other fellow campers. We have come up with a conclusion (there's always going to be an exception to this rule however)But we have found that if you camp as a child or growing up and it created good memories for you that you would go camping as an adult to share these experiences with your own children. Now I know there's always going exceptions so don't get mad at me if you don't fall into that catagory. It's just what we have found in our experiences. Now it's our most favorite thing to do, even right now I can't wait until next camping trip in 2 weeks

11. kimlovescamping

kimlovescamping New Member

Aug 28, 2012
    My neighbor invited us and reassured us he would help. We bought a tent and now are hooked. Neither one of us had ever camped growing up. We quickly figured out we could see a lot more places camping because it was so cheap. This was 5-6 years ago. It took us a few years to graduate to a pup. We have vacationed more and seen more of the country camping than we ever could have done in hotels. I love that we have our own beds and no TV/x-box - and actually spend time together. Love camping. Very thankful our neighbor started us out!

12. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Many years ago the episode of the Brady Bunch going to the Grand Canyon in a pop up stuck with me. I was only a kid and always wished my family had one so we could enjoy the camping life style. It never happened. After I had a great job that payed well and the kids were old enough, the wife suggested that we stop by an RV place on our way home one from a trip one day There was no going back. I was sold. We bought our first pup in 2001 and are now on our second. We are at the top of
    the market with a Coleman Avalon and can only go to to the dark side when we decide to do it. Until then, we are Hopeless pupers.

13. cdn_tbird

cdn_tbird New Member

Jun 7, 2013
    I started camping when I was 17 (34 yrs ago). Back then we had one friend that used to go camping with his family every long weekend, so we'd rent a site away from his parent's site and enjoy 3 days of "responsible" underage drinking [:D].

As I grew up, it became less about the three day drink fests and more about discovering and enjoying the natural beauty of Canada.

Fast forward to 5 years ago, and now it's about week long trips with my wife & 2 kids to rediscover the beauty of Ontario and working my way further out from home with each trip. Still enjoying the same provincial & national parks I did 34 yrs ago when it all started for me.

Funny thing is that last year we decided to do something different and rented a lake front cottage. Kids HATED! it. As they put it "WE'D RATHER BE CAMPING". So this year we're giving up the tenting and moving up to a pop-up. [:D]

14. Halford

Halford Active Member

Started in Boy Scouts, camped a lot for many years. Camped in Linville Gorge near Table Rock and Shortoff Mtn (NC). My parents bought Apache popup and we did the trip to the West from NC for one month and 6,000 miles. took popup to Myrtle Beach, Stone Mountain, Helen, and Kings Mountain. eventually another family trip to Quebec and Montreal and New England.

I got married in 90' and bought a Coleman Popup in 94'. Got divorced and bought myself another Coleman Key West. Moved to California got me a Niagara. Still camping and I am going to Yosemite in April.

15. dnb

dnb 1996/97 Coleman Yukon -- PacNW

Feb 18, 2016
    When I was a kid, every year my mom would plan a road trip vacation out West. Her idea of a vacation was driving around, looking at things thru the car windows, stopping for some pics, and staying at Best Western's with pools. My father "enabled" her, and I of course had to tag along.

One summer a good friend of mine took my along with his family on a camping trip. They had a tent trailer. Those few days, in the tent trailer by the lake, were better than any of the two week road trips I ever took at my mother's insistence.

In 1991 My wife and I moved form the Midwest to the West Coast. I bought an old Starcraft pup, and towed it with a Bronco. We had kayaks on top, dogs in the back, and traveled West via the East Coast, with a loop thru the Southern US and some time in Utah Canyon Country. It was a fabulous trip, with some really great memories.

Once we settled in, after a few years of no use due to work schedules, the pup was sold.

Around 1998 I tried a used Class C for a year, but the gas mileage was terrible and we didn't end up using it much. So it was donated. No camper until recently.

This year I started thinking about how the kids are grown and could care less about camping with us, and we as a couple have the time to go places for a week at a time when we choose. I never gave thought to anything buy a pup again, because of the memories of camping with the dogs in the Tetons, Yellowstone, Bryce, Zion, Moab, the Eastern Seaboard, etc. They were some really great times, and it was time to do it all over again!

16. Laney A

Laney A My crew: Me, hubby and our 3 K9's.

Oct 28, 2015
    Midwest
    We spent most of our vacations in the Smoky Mountains when I was a youth and my dad always taught me to appreciate nature. I started camping when I was in girl scouts and loved it. I'm sure this was because I could hike, spend time near or in the water and sleep under the stars.

I was fortunate to marry someone who enjoys nature as much as I do. In our 20's, my husband and I took a drive up to the U.P. and tent camped along the way. Over our years together, this was followed by many other camping destinations in the U.S. and Canada. The most memorable experience to date was a stay at Indiana Dunes. I woke to my husband's scream. A raccoon had unzipped and entered our tent. Thankfully, my husband was able to push it out with our sleeping bag.

We decided awhile back to start looking at trailers as camping with 3 dogs in a tent felt a little crowded. We looked at many trailers and settled on a pup as the pop-up felt more like we were camping.

There have been many great camping memories! We've been blessed to meet many interesting people here in the states and in Canada. Perhaps one day we'll meet some of you.

17. theyellowbeard

theyellowbeard Member

Sep 18, 2016
    Cary Illinois
    I started camping with my family in the late 70's in a Apache tent popup. We didn't camp much my dad was busy supporting a big family. I signed up as a Boy Scout leader when I turned 18 been camping with them for 30 years. Never was a boy scout just a cub scout for one year. I bought an old Starcraft pop up with no slides in the late 80's to take my younger brothers and sisters camping. In the early 2000's I bought a 24 ft travel trailer which was great until one trip it ended up in the center median ditch flipped upside down flat as a pancake. Then I had a 26 foot MH which became too gas hungry. Last summer after 10 years of marriage and 2 kids 4 and 3 my wife was ready to try the camping in a tent at a private campground. We had a great time and my wife saw a few pups and thought it might be a good idea to have one. I jumped on that comment and now I have my 76 Coleman Yorktown sitting in my backyard waiting for our first trip of the season.

18. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    I'm one of the few that did NOT camp much as a kid. Maybe just one weekend with the cousins and aunt and uncle and a weekend with the grandparents. It just wasn't my parents thing. Fast forward to last summer, we drove to Branson, MO and had a day at Moonshine Beach. While sitting in the lake with DH, watching our kids dig in the sand, he says "what if... we buy a pop up camper and do more stuff like this with the kids? We could pull it with the van." I thought a minute... and said "ok!" To which he was pretty surprised! So of course I'm browsing Craigslist on the drive back home and within a few months, we have a PUP!

19. Va_Camper

Va_Camper Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Virginia
    One of my first memories as a kid was pulling a popup with a 67 Chevy pickup to Myrtle Beach. I was maybe 4 years old. That was the last time my family camped as a whole when I was growing up. Then I got into the Boy Scouts and we camped every month. My Dad with with us on 90% of the trips. I remember the fun times that we had in the woods. Now that I am married and have two little girls. I want them to enjoy the outdoors. Running, playing, fishing, swimming, all the fun things that you can do outside. My wife never camped when she grew up. So, her first experience was tent camping with me. She loved it. Now, we try to plan as many trips as our schedule allows. These are the times I hope my kids remember for the rest of their lives.

20. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Never camped as a kid with my family. My parents were from Brooklyn, NY. Never camped until I met my wife back in '86. Started tent camping with her every once in a while. Then after our son was born in '96 we did not do any camping again until he was in 2nd grade and was in Cub Scouts. Fast forward to early 2008 when we decided to buy our pup. My wife grew up camping every summer with her family and their pup. Now as for the future we are thinking of a motor home!!