How do I wire this USB/Voltmeter, 12V plug?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by JeepinAndCampin, Jul 21, 2017.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    We have one that has a switch, a voltmeter, a USB port and a 12V port. So I figured I could put the switch in the chain before the voltmeter. I haven’t decided yet if I want the USB and the 12V port always on or not. I’m leaning toward always on (we’re pretty good about unplugging our devices in the car) because the switch and voltmeter are bright blue. I’m pretty good at covering bright lights with towels but still...

Attached Files:

2. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    You can also bring the power into the 12v port first and then out to the switch so the 12v port is always ready and the switch just operates the voltmeter and USB. You can then run a fan at night without having all the lights on.

3. MaeKay

MaeKay Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Oooo. I like that idea. I’ll have to do the math to see how much power a fan draws. Or better yet, our white noise machine. We all sleep so much better with our Dohm by Marpac white noise machine. It’s kind of the cue for my little kids that it’s bedtime.

4. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Congratulations on you 100th post!

5. MaeKay

MaeKay Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Hahaha, all in just one month! We have sooo many questions because we have no clue what we’re doing and no one locally to help us. We have learned a ton of valuable information.

6. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    I wired mine so that the switch needs to be on for all that stuff to be on. I also drilled separate holes for each unit and did not use the backplate. Additionally, I installed an on/off switch at the battery so that I can turn EVERYTHING off (CO2 detector, etc.) to avoid parasitic draw while it is not in use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JeepinAndCampin and MaeKay like this.
  7. MaeKay

MaeKay Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    That’s a cool idea, too! We disconnected the battery for the winter (despite still planning a trip next weekend) but in the summer that might be nice. Thanks!

8. JeepinAndCampin

JeepinAndCampin Member

Jun 6, 2017
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Great idea on the switch~ I have some bad draw on mine!

9. MaeKay

MaeKay Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    So did you just not use the square plate that that brand of voltmeter came with? Did you just install the 4 separate cylinders by drilling 1-1/8 holes? It looks so clean and nice! We have the same brand I think. (Or at least the same knockoff...)

10. DJS12354

DJS12354 Active Member

Source for the switch, Please?

11. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    I assume you are referring to the battery switch and not the meter bank. It's not the beefiest switch out there and the supplied leads are on the small side, but I'm giving it a shot. So far so good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDYGQJA

12. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    Yes, rather than cutting out a big chunk of cabinetry I decided to just drill 4 holes (using the backplate as a template), mounted all items, and decided I preferred the look without the backplate. I don't recall what size the holes were (and I am currently in NYC and cannot check.)

MaeKay likes this.
  13. petefuller

petefuller New Member

Aug 27, 2017
    something to consider, for those new to 12v stuff, the USB usually has a parasitic draw all the time due to its circuitry where as the cigarette lighter doesn't , so having the switch control the USB fixes that.

I'm surprised PUPs don't come with a battery main switch to disconnect, it makes so much sense.

MaeKay likes this.
  14. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I installed the same bank of 12v power ports/USB/voltmeter as nhlakes, a new CO/LP detector on our pup last spring, as well as a master cutoff switch out at the battery bank. Just for kicks & giggles, I left the pup up & the master switch on for 2 weeks, just to get an ides of the parasitic drain, & only lost .2 volts during that time....I still switch off the master when we're not using it.

MaeKay likes this.
  15. petefuller

petefuller New Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Re; inline fuses, if you cant get a wire from the main panel through a fused circuit, and need to use a line fuse, which is perfectly acceptable, put it where it can be seen/found by the next owner or repair guy. Even a tag hanging on the back of the new switch that says "in-line fuse" and its location.

Spending many minutes wondering " where the power went" , and finding a fuse hidden up under a cabinet where its in plain sight if your standing on your head is little fun

MaeKay likes this.
  16. MaeKay

MaeKay Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Very good advice. Thanks!