How early do you fill your water tank?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by mpotapa, May 23, 2016.

1. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I leave for camping on Friday and wanted to know how early I could fill my fresh water tank and water heater. I was hoping to do it today or tomorrow. Is that too early or will it be fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. VTRailroadguy

VTRailroadguy Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Northwestern Vermont
    I think you're fine to fill it, but that's a lot of extra weight sloshing around in your camper while you're traveling. I always fill it at the campground, but I also tow with a Honda Odyssey and want to keep the weight down.

3. Ductape

Ductape Active Member

Jun 12, 2013
    I put enough water in mine to fill the water heater and have enough to flush the toilet a couple times. I don't like hauling a bunch of extra water down the road, so I add water once we get to the campground.

4. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

Aug 14, 2005
    St Louis. Mo
    You can water fill anytime you want to...with my pup I never fill till I got were I was going.. I didn't like the extra weight nor the wave effect when stopping.. with that said, there are people that say you can not feel the wave effect,... whatever. I don't put more than 5 gal of water in my TT, and that is just to shock my black tank..

5. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Central, IL
    I fill mine the night before or right before we take off. Don't notice any difference with the weight. I sometimes take a drink or two from mine. Wife won't. I also dont drain the water heater each time either. Only if it is going to be a long time again before we go back out.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk

crackerJack likes this.
  6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I fill mine sometime during the week before I leave. My water tank is low between the axles. Some say the camper tows better with a full tank. It holds 52 gallons. The big block Ford doesn't notice the extra 430 lbs. [:D]

7. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Sep 27, 2012
    You'll be fine filling now, or when you leave. You just don't want it sitting in the tank for an extended time (like a month or longer).

8. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    My camper GVWR is 3376 pounds and I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota quad cab which is rated to tow 6000lbs. The water weighs about 160 pounds so I don't believe towing it would be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I fill ours sometime in the week before we leave. This week, we leave on Saturday, so I'll fill the tank and water jug Thursday or Friday. I've filled it a few days earlier too, depends on what's handy. It's nice to be able to use the water system on the road and some campgrounds don't have a place to fill the tank when we get there.
    We didn't have a tanks on either of our pups, but the TT seemed to pull slightly better with the previous TV when we had water in the tank. The tank is low and seems to drop the center of gravity, which is not a bad thing with the TT. Ours is a 20 gallon tank + 6 gallon water heater, so 160# low and 48# at one side.

We do drain the water heater each time, unless it's going to be a very short break between trips - much of the water we use is very hard - the amount of "grit" produced in the tank can be interesting.
    I also drained the half tank or so of water after the last trip, since there was a month before the upcoming one.

10. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    So I think I'm going to fill my water tank today. We don't leave until the 16th but I don't want to have to open up the trailer again. We don't drink the water, we bring a jug of water to drink from. This way I can make sure all the tanks are topped off and the pressure is good to go.

11. mandinga

mandinga Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Ottawa, ontario
    I see no issue. Except for winter, The only time my tank is empty, is on the way home. As soon as I get home I fill it up for the next trip. I always tow with a full tank. I often boondock with no water source, or can't be bothered to wait in line at the campground behind the line of travel trailers filling up.

12. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    The day before I leave if warm enough. I notice no difference when pulling full or empty. And where I normally camp, there is no water available. I think the deciding factor is really the tow vehicle.

13. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I'll fill mine anywhere from several days before to the day of leaving, depending on what i happen to be doing. We always leave with a full tank of our good, homegrown well water....we have no water heater, & the fresh water tank only holds 10 gallons....lol

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    First, it depends on your TV's towing capabilities (has pre-installed tow package) then go for it. It may be better to know where your water comes from before you pour it in the tank. If you want a quality clean water, put filter at the hose (safe for clean water). If you have a well, it may be very clean and does not need filter.

I do not use my tank at all.

15. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Member

Jun 22, 2012
    North Carolina
    I fill at the CG and open the drains for water heater and main tank when we leave. I prefer not to travel with the extra weight. If your axle and tires can handle the load then it is simply a matter of choice.