How I made our homemade bunk end covers

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by Misc99, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    These are like the high wind Gizmos without the straps over the top. In four years of pretty high winds, I've never needed to add the straps, any windier conditions and we would not be camping.

Here's the link to the google doc explaining how I made them. These and the Reflectix are the best thing we've done for our camper next to buying it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JzLteC-MsKVXaPFCk77w7yBVIpas6u_xCHeQHL7ewP8/edit?usp=sharing

2. DiscoB75

DiscoB75 Guest

How serendipitous! I basically am doing the exact same thing, down to the same brand of space blanket [:D]
    I have all of the materials ready to go, except for the camper, which is in storage until next weekend.

I'll see if I can come up with something less messy to adhere the velcro, as I was going to use Gorilla Glue, too.

3. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Maybe knowing it is messy will help. Maybe the underside of your roof will be easier to do. Make sure you use water and clamps. I used scrap baseboards to hold sections of the velcro with the clamps. I did it in small sections at a time.

That is cool you are set to go. Great minds think a like! Please share how it goes.

BTW are you on the popup campers owners FB page or the popup modificatios page? Both great group of people. I've learned, shared, smiled, and laughed with these groups.

4. DiscoB75

DiscoB75 Guest

I will definitely keep you updated.
    Unfortunately, I am not on facebook.

5. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    That's OK that you aren't on FB. If you do join sometime, you must check out the two groups I mentioned.

I'm looking forward to seeing your final product.

6. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

Jul 23, 2008
    I checked out your project....the design looks "vaguely" familiar. (LOL...sorry, I couldn't resist!)

I love DIY, that's what got PUGS started. And I appreciate that you mentioned us in your google doc :>)

Cheers,

Bob Pitney
    www.popupgizmos.com

7. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I'm glad you chimed in. You all have a FANTASTIC product (much better than my final result) and I have never heard anyone say anything bad about your customer service. The best bar none. This was just something I could do and wanted to do for our PUP.

Ya all keep up the good work!!!
    Elaine Schuller

8. Wintercamper1998

Wintercamper1998 New Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Would it be better to wrap it completely around canvas? I'm camping in winter and looking for ways to keep warm....

9. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    @Misc99 Great write up. I have the solar blankets with binder clips now. I think I'll up grade to the grommets and bungee cords in case i find high wind.

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    The OP last posted nearly 2 years ago so it's unlikely she's even around to see your post. :(

I used a set of PUGs years ago on our 2000 Santa Fe but due to the significantly higher cost these days to ship a new set that would fit our NTU 2005 Resolute here to Canada I plan to build my own set this time around. Velcro works well to secure each panel to the inside surface of the roof but instead of punching holes in the material for grommets I'll instead use tarp clips like these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-CinchTite-Multi-Purpose-Tarp-Clip-4-Pack-2615/203495590

At the time we owned our Santa Fe we were camping from very early spring to very late fall so I too made a set of Reflectix window inserts, the key being to make up a set of cardboard templates first so when you cut the Reflectix the resulting shape is just what you want. Pics start here ...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

This time around I don't think I'll bother as this camper won't have A/C and we won't be camping in the temperature extremes that we used to. PUGs, whether authentic or DIY, are still worthwhile though as they also keep the bed end tenting totally clean. [A]

William Freeman likes this.
  11. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    @GreyFox Thanks. I use these survival blankets on the bunk ends, so I have the grommet holes. I just need to buy the giant bungee cords. I've never had the wind take them off the survival blanket, but I should prepare for it.

Where do you store your inserts? Do you leave them in the windows when you close it up? Do you only have inserts for the bunk ends or the main body also?

12. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    If you fold Reflectix for storage the material begins to shed the silver coating along the creases so the window inserts I built for our Santa Fe I stored flat under each respective mattress. I only built inserts for the windows in each bunk end and found it totally unnecessary to also cover the main body tenting even when temps dropped close to freezing. Looking at the camper from outside you can barely notice the Reflectix inserts in the bunk end windows but IMO they'd be much more obvious in the main body windows, not to mention difficult to store.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 1:46 PM
    MyName likes this.
  13. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    @GreyFox Thanks for the tips. I think I'll start on them in January. Your album is full of great ideas that i'm going to implement. Drill for my Bal leveler, basket hanging from the coat rack.