How many people eat at restaurants while camping.

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by 1380ken, Feb 8, 2019.

Do you eat at restaurants when camping

1. Never not real camping

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Sometimes

53 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

and a Tent Camper was killed by Bear just a couple camp roads from where I was at... He apparently had brought a big bag full of BBQ RIBS and was snacking of them thru the night...

Roy Ken
    Roy that just goes to prove that somethings will KILL for some good BBQ ribs :)

If the DW goes we usually plan to eat out one night while camping. If it is just Pebbles and I we usually eat at the CG (dogs are not allowed in restaurants in Fl.)
    The IRS closed the best pizza /restaurant near my fav. CG.

2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Do breweries count :) ? DW looks for new breweries for us (me) to try when we camp. With so many breweries and new ones popping up every year there is always somewhere to grab a bite.

Dback2k4 and Overland like this.
  3. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

If we are heading to the campground late we grab something or if we have a long drive home on sunday we stop.

4. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Depends on the trip. Weekend trips to a local state or county park, rarely if ever do I eat out.

My longer trips are usually road trips or I'm travelling to explore unfamiliar areas and I'll eat a meal or two at local restaurant, usually the noon meal while I'm out and about. One of my favorite vacation spots is a small harbor town in Southern California, and I always eat at least twice at my favorite fish market there!!

5. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

It depends on the location of course. Often when we are visiting cities/big tourist areas we camp because its cheaper to camp than stay at a hotel. We want to go out and try the local fare often and usually just cook morning meals. But when we are actually camping, in the wilderness and not in a "parking lot" campground we typically cook at the campground more and eat out when we are sightseeing all day.

6. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

In most of the places we camp, there are no restaurants (or people either...lol), but usually we pack up fairly early on departure day, & will stop for something to eat on the way home.

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Every trip we will eat out a few times (depending on the trip). First, depending where we are we will hit a restaurant that we really liked in years past. Second, if the weather is really crappy we will opt to go eat out. Also, while traveling on our cross country trips we will usually eat lunch out (something quick and easy) and dinner as well. That's usually for those one nighters as we head for our destination.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I don't know. Couldn't help myself. We actually eat out more while camping then when at home. I have three kids and can rarely afford to eat at a restaurant while at home, maybe 2 - 3 times a year. We try to live large while on vacation and will eat out about half of the nights that we are camping. It is a treat for us and the kids appreciate it. We camp in the White Mountains in NH and civilization is never very far away.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Not a problem with me. I just couldn’t choose “never” because of the extra sentiment.

10. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I'm not usually a weekend camper. I can be away for 1 or 2 months. I use the camper as base camp. Lunch is usually out because I am either driving to my next stop or I am out exploring. Sometimes I will pack a lunch if I plan a hike that leaves me away from camp. I will sometimes eat dinner out if it is raining or I have had a long day. Otherwise, I eat supper and breakfast at camp.

11. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

We usually camp on long weekends and during the travels we will grab a bite to eat. If we are at the campground we usually plan to eat there but if we are out and about sightseeing and visiting new ares we like to experience the different cuisine. Usually it's only once or twice a trip though. Packing our own food saves money!

12. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

We tend to range out when we camp, and we always keep our food in the truck. As a result, we set up in the campground and leave. We always have all our food and some cooking gear with us, and we cook out in the woods at a day camp. On days we stay at the campground, we drag out the black iron and cook bacon, a roast, or a bird. One exception is a certain state park where we go for quick midweek trips in great weather. It is not remote, but feels like it, and is only a mile from a town with the same name. There is a restaurant there with a similar name as the town and park, and great food. We make it a point to stop in once or twice each trip. They have a great breakfast skillet with really good coffee (a rarity in northern MN). For lunch, once you have tasted their wild rice meatloaf plate and blueberry pie a-la-mode, you would throw all your other food away. They have craft bread that you can buy on the way out. My favorite is cranberry nut, and I would fight a bear for it and win. Maybe you east central Minnesotans know the place.....

neighbormike likes this.
  13. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

There are four state parks within 40 miles of us and many weekends from April to October we drag the pup to one of them. On these trips it's skillets and dutch ovens over a fire, but when we go farther and longer than the weekend, we'll look for a diner sometimes.

14. Overland

Overland Active Member

Restaurants, no. Local watering holes for lunch/dinner and a few drinks.. yes.

Again I don't camp in campgrounds, I prefer dispersed in State and National Forests. Stopping at the local bar/tavern's has been an unbeatable source of information on the best areas to camp, fish, sightsee, etc.

Obviously this doesn't work for family's with younger children, my son is 30+ and it's just us and a few buddy's when we hit the woods.. or the road.

neighbormike likes this.
  15. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Member

Very rarely do we eat restraint food while camping. Camping is our justification to cook Dutch Oven every day

16. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

For camping trips, never. For vacation trips where we happen to have the camper as a place to stay, sometimes. So far the latter category has only had one trip, but it will be two this year as we're headed to Yellowstone.

17. fletcher4pa

fletcher4pa Member

When we camp at Cowan's Gap SP in PA we always stop on the way in at the Milky Way for supper. DH gets hangry and setting up is much more enjoyable if he's fed first. They have great fresh strawberry sundaes as well that we will sometimes sneak out if we need a break from our extended families lol.

18. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

If it's the kids and I, usually a pizza or two happens. We love the Smokies, can camp and do day trips. Almost every camp trip, we have seen black bears, but no problems.

Wouldn't blame'm for trying to swipe some BBQ :)

19. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

It depends on what kind of trip it would be: when I volunteer to serve, I mostly eat out. but when it is camping, I GRILL!