How Much Do You Have to Breakdown to Move Sites?

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by Nani2, Apr 14, 2019 at 10:13 AM.

1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I've moved mine a few times with the roof raised like in the picture I posted above, and nothing has gone wrong. Go slow and keep your wits about you. You can't worry about this stuff too much. People think these things are as fragile as glass, but not so. I don't have A/C on mine. So my roof is about 6 feet wide x 10 feet long. It's made mostly of foam, a little bit of fiberglass, and some strips of 1/2 inch plywood around it all. Add in the weight of a 35 lbs awning and you probably have 100 lbs in total. This is being held up by 4 steel posts that are operated by a steel cable strong enough to pull a small car out of a ditch. Nothing bad is going to happen, but do what you feel safe with.

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

If raising and lowering the roof with the stabilizers up or down can damage the lift system, I would think moving it with the top up would be a no no.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. erich82

erich82 Member

I wouldn’t recommend moving any pop up with the roof up. As others have said, you are really asking for trouble. It’s going to take what, maybe 15-20 minutes to close the roof and raise it again? Why someone would risk structural damage to save such little time is beyond me.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I believe whether the stabilizers are up or down first is dependent upon brand. And usually it's not done because the roof needs some wiggle room with the frame flexibility to go up or down straight. Having the roof up to move fifty feet won't cause that same type of structural damage (e.g., a bent frame).

But, in the end, each does as they feel comfortable with.

Wrenchgear likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

What workes for you might not work for others. My pop up camper may be diffrent. Colman has the supports attached to the frame, other manufactures dont do this. It might work for you 9 out of 10 times, I definitely wouldent want to see the 10th . Good luck. And you are free to do as you like, me i wouldent chance it.

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have a Fleetwood/Coleman pup and I would never move the pup with the roof up! Is it really worth the extra time to lower it and raise it again if something breaks while moving it? All it takes is one wrong tweak and BAM something breaks or bends!! Not to mention if the top hits something that is low!!

Sjm9911 likes this.