How much water do you use?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by davido, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Or get a shower trailer! :)

DiamondGirl likes this.
  2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Still need a big trailer tank hooked up behind shower trailer

3. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I'm trying to right a shower instruction joke right now, but would need a spreadsheet to compile all my super funnay thoughts...

4. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I'm finding my 20 gallon tank to be unacceptable for dry camping more than a few days, too. We are pretty good at conserving. I'll bring along a few full Aquatainers if we're going somewhere without water but last time we were surprised that there wasn't any. (I don't mean hookups; I just mean a spigot to fill the kettle or pasta pot.) We made it, but barely.

I'm thinking about finding a tank for the back of the truck, low enough to fit under the tonneau cover, large enough to keep me happy at home when an earthquake knocks out the reservoir.

5. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Jul 2, 2016
    AZ Aliner
    We boondock more often than staying at campgrounds. We usually stay 4-5 days per trip.

46 gallons of water for dish washing after each meal, hand washing, (6x’s) showering and toothbrushing.
    • 11 gallon fresh water tank
    • 6 gallon water heater
    • 3 (8 gallon) Hydroller containers
    • 1 (5 gallon) Reliance container for outside hand washing.
    Plus a 48pk of Costco bottled water for drinking and cooking.

We usually have water leftover. DH loves using Hydrollers since they’re easy to wheel around from the truck bed to the fresh water inlet. And the mouth is wide enough to use our portable usb water pump to fill up the fresh water tank.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-Hydroller-Wheeled-Water-Container-8-Gallon/10098756

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

6. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    20 gal water tank...6 gallon hot water tank......fill a 5 gallon aquatainer for drinking lasts my granddaughter and I 6 days....no showers...conservative dishwashing. Porta potting for night time "watering only allowed"......

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    16 ounces max. per day. Unless I make pasta.[:D]

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Two of us, 20 gallon fresh water tank, plus six in the hot water tank. The last couple of gallons in the fresh water tanks aren't really accessible, due to location of the water intake. Some have re-positioned it on the Retro TTs, we may look into doing that mod. We use that water for flushing toilet (sparingly on long stays, more because of the 10 gallon black tank capacity than fresh water reserve), cooking, and cleaning up; no showers. We use campground water in a countertop filter dispenser for drinking water, unless the water is not usable. At my MIL's last fall (the water is very suspect there), we carried bottled water for drinking and tea, plus water from home in jugs to refill the fresh water tank. (We use a rattle siphon, so refilling is easy, our capacity is really determined by the waste tanks.) We adjust number of jugs taken on any given trip by anticipated needs. Once every decade or so, we end up going to town and buying bottled water for extra drinking water.
    On most trips, we have to top off the fresh water tank around day 4-5. The countertop dispenser is around a gallon, and most days we add water once or twice, before it's empty. (Add a gallon or so for each hike, Courtenay usually fills his hiking containers from the CG water.)
    On our trip last week, we weren't sure if the water would be on after Labor Day. We took three 2-1/2 gallon water jugs plus one 4 gallon one. We added around 5-7 gallons to the fresh tank. We had water hookups for days 9 & 10. We didn't fill the fresh tank, since we were on the way home. While we were parked for several hours, finding and waiting for a tow, we used water from a jug to flush the toilet, since were were at an angle that the 2-4 gallons or so in the tank were not useful to flush, though I could get just enough to wash hands in the sink.
    [We had to update our water jugs last year, after one cracked and we realized that the rest were all from the last century. At that point, we down-sized from 5 & 7 gallon jugs to the current 2-1/2 and 4 gallon ones. Partly because we have the on-board tanks, partly because I can handle the smaller jugs.]

9. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I had found a 55 gallon bladder for the back of the truck at Camping World

10. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    A bladder might slosh less when half full.

I'll have to go measure a few things--if I could fill the popup tank with good old fashioned gravity, it would be most convenient! (Can you create enough pressure to fill uphill by placing one to two children on the bladder?)

11. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    That's a lot of water use. You could get an extra tank to put in the back of a truck to refill your PUP tank or take the fuse for the water pump and only allow supervised water use. [:D]

12. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    If you are reporting your water use, be sure to state "how many people". This quite important, as is your weather conditions. We find our 2 mutts drink to much. Is there a desert breed we should trade them in on?? :)

13. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

upload_2018-9-14_16-8-52.jpeg

14. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    2 days in the woods,showering, cooking, and washing dishes: min 48 gallons of fresh water. Same rate at limited hookup state park. Whether the pups or hybrid doesn’t matter. Not take showers nor wash dishes 20 gallon tank is fine.

15. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Park it next to a creek. They can drink all day

16. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

You can wash dishes with much less water. We used to be tenters, so we would fill up a dish tub with water and do them with that... maybe a gallon or two. Since we were used to that, and don't have a water heater, today we heat up a kettle of hot water on the stove, wife fills the sink partway with water, adds in enough hot water to make it the right temp, and then washes them all. Then after that she does a *quick* rinse under running water. There's no need to keep the water running constantly when doing dishes.

Edit: And *certainly* not when brushing teeth.

17. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    You used enough water for the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria.

tfischer likes this.
  18. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    When I moved to California from Alabama, I probably cut half of my water usage due to ongoing drought. We have not had rain for many months now. I am tired of hot sunny days but looking forward to rain.

19. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    For the two of us, no showering, it probably averages out to 5 gallons per day.

Washing dishes (once per day) takes the most- about 3 gallons divided between 2 tubs and a kettle for hot water to add to the "wash" basin. Washing hands and teeth in the trailer is *maybe* 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon. 1/2 gallon for the dogs, perhaps less depending on the temperature and activity level. And the rest for cooking and making coffee.

Since we always take a lot more water than we think we'll need, our usage really isn't at all about conservation.

tfischer likes this.