How much water do you use?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by davido, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    when TRF first opened the large camping, no water, no showers, just porta potties.

entourage of 5 women, 2 blue sq water jugs each. 10 gallons. for 48 hours
    that covered food, dishwash (minimal) & real shower using a bucket rig i designed. its called “ultimate shower rig” on my blog.

im six 4, long hair, & i can shower proper in 3 gallons.

2. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Sep 19, 2018
    League City, Texas USA.
    LOL.... I'm the fat guy at TRF with the shower shelter in my campsite.... My beautiful bride is only 5' tall.... I guess that's why she uses 1.5 hours... Seriously.... LOVE the TRF. HATE the train tracks that run by the campground...

3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    It takes a Lake Erie to keep me clean... :D:tongue::laugh:

4. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    @BikeNFish sounds like a camper in my group.

I'v always camped out of the back of a Jeep.. for decades. And I avoided warmer/Hot weather like the plague. Water containers consist of a few 5gal Sceptor military water cans. Typically for showers (ZODI), hands cleaning, light dishes.

Drinking water is bottled in the cooler, and we like to leave camp often to see the sights we just drove a couple thousand miles for. Refilling a few water cans is not difficult.

Now that I have my first pup i'm looking at onboard shower system to a shower tent. I'll need it this coming summer.. gonna try a warm weather trip to the shores of Lake Superior.

BikeNFish likes this.
  5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Have you ever done the North Shore?

6. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    I have not.. have yet to visit the UP. I do know of a few places i'd like to try however.

North Shore would be Canadian side I take it?

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    In addition to what you have We also bring along two 5-gal jeri cans sitting on the front deck and also two or three bottled water for cooking and making coffee... Always aware where we get fresh water somewhat close by...

We like to have the same coffee 'taste' everywhere we go. That requires using the same brand bottled water every time for our fresh ground and brewed coffee beans...

Just the two of us and usually do the daily stand up wash ups at the sink. Our cassette pottie combo wants you to sit on the pot to shower. There is something basically wrong doing that haha... Never know to have the lid up or down hehe...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

8. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    How I conserve: 1) keep hand sanitizer near the sink. There are plenty of occasions where sanitizer does the trick. 2) disposable plates and utensils if water is going to be in short supply. 3) wash dishes once per day with about an inch of soapy water in a bus tub. Rinse in a bus tub with about 2 inches. 4) extremely short showers. 5) DW has a dry shampoo that she likes. 6) bottled water for drinking.
    Lots of variables go into our actual use (number of people, weather, showers, etc.)

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I have a feeling they are just not going to do it chambo.

10. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I have been to the UP but not for many years and it was always in the winter for skiing.

The North Shore is Minnesota but you can continue into Canada if you have your passport. Highway 61 hugs the shoreline for nearly 150 miles. There are plenty of camping areas (State Parks and private) but you should make reservations if you want a spot.

Arlyn Aronson and Overland like this.
  11. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    The north shore in MN is gorgeous. We like as it much as our rugged peninsula on the south shore.
    Why is this in the "how much water do you use" thread???

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  12. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Because there is a lot of water in Lake Superior!!

Or is it because this thread was hijacked. I may have had something to do with it...