How often do you grease your balls?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by bsandey, Jul 17, 2017.

1. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

Jun 9, 2005
    SE Minnesota
    Now that I got your attention...

How often do you apply grease to the ball on your hitch?

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Never. Mama said that'd make me go blind.

Seriously though, I never apply grease to the ball. It doesn't live outside for long, since I don't have the shin killer in unless we are towing.

neighbormike likes this.
  3. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Webster, NY
    Once a season as part of the spring maintenance. Then it's a constant "don't rub against the greasy ball with your pants" reminder to the kids. One good idea is to put a foam beer cozy over the greased ball when not hitched, but somehow my cozy always gets left at home...

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Once a season, unless it rains a lot while camping (WDH head stays installed while we are camping)..

5. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    once a year, then i put a tennis ball em to keep us both clean...[CC]

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    As needed. We have a small container of the Reese lube now, and only add a thin coating. It seems less messy than the stuff we originally used, but also doesn't stay on the balls (hitch + sway control bar) as long. When I did 5 days without unhitching, I could actually hear the difference by the end of the trip.
    We don't leave the hitch in while camped. When the locking pin broke and we had to leave it in for the trip last month, it was annoying, to say the least. (At least it was one the TV.)

Fless likes this.
  7. doggirl

doggirl Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I just laughed so hard I spit out my water on the computer. :))))))))

8. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    LMAO!!

9. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

Jun 9, 2005
    SE Minnesota
    What do you do about the beer in the cozy? You can't have a beer cozy without beer in it.

pasobuff likes this.
  10. Toxictom

Toxictom New Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Whenever I want to ruin a pair of pants.

eoleson1 likes this.
  11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I spray a dry lube on the coupler and on the ball about once a season. However as my camper sits in the elements my coupler needs another good spray mid season. My ball I take off the car after every use so it stays fairly clean.

12. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    I use a leftover tube of outboard motor grease to goop the ball, coupler and WDH trunnions every spring. If a lot of time is spent on gravel roads there may be a mid-season wipe down and re-lube.

Been using the same tomato soup can to cover the ball for several years. Trunnions go in a heavy weight plastic bag.

13. Fless

Fless Active Member

Like @kitphantom, as needed. When unhitching at home I typically wipe off the ball before storing it -- I have only one. ;) And we store the ball assembly while camping, saving shins.

But I can tell where the grease was needed and where it wasn't, and can also tell by the wear on the ball's surface anyway. That's where some white lithium from a tube gets applied next time we go out. Spray lube doesn't cut it. Things are a lot quieter back there with the lube.
    _

JPBar likes this.
  14. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

Aug 4, 2009
    SE US
    I have several trailers and am constantly rotating the triple hitch. I spray some general lube on them when I think about it. Most of my trailer stuff is 20 miles or less. I do spray both the camper and ball before a trip though, usually a 5-7hr trip.

15. Hoser

Hoser New Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Once a year, whether it needs it or not. I do this on my hitch, too.;)

16. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I rarely do....I spray white lithium grease up in the hitch, instead.

17. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    This topic has come up in the past, and I was previously a firm "no grease" guy. Then, I did the research, and sure enough, both Reese and Atwood (makers of my hitch, drawbar, ball, and coupler) recommend a light coating of essentially wheel bearing grease on the ball and on the metal to metal surfaces of the coupler. So, I put a little on every so often, but I have to admit I usually use white lithium because it is simply easier. I leave my ball mount on my truck all towing season (from early hunting to late hunting), so a little grease protects that shiny chrome ball some.

I actually don't like to get grease in the other components of the coupler though because it attracts dirt. There are a fair amount of gravel highways up here in Alaska, and the best CGs are down them. I like to use graphite in the moving bits of the coupler and the stabilizers.

18. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have a rubber cap that fits over the ball when not hooked up, I put a little bit of grease in the cover it greases the ball only and also no rust.

19. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    "How often do you grease your balls?"

Well, you know, as we men get older, there are some things that.... Oh ! Oh, I see what you mean... :)

Usually a little schmear of HT
    lithium before each trip, then I wipe it off at the end of the trip, so I don't put the hitch away greasy and get dirt stuck to it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017 at 8:53 AM
    Fless likes this.