how often shore power vs. battery power is used

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by kcormier19, Oct 23, 2017.

1. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    We mostly camp OFF-ROAD with our trailer and I have three 12V BATTERIES installed on my OFF-ROAD POPUP Camper.
    [​IMG]

The only question I have about not having a battery is that if your trailer is equipped with ELECTRIC BRAKES our state requires you have a working battery installed on the trailer in the event the trailer may become disconnected from the tow vehicles going over public roads. The on-board trailer battery is used to stop your run-away trailer using the Trailer installed electric brakes.

This will happen when a BREAK SWITCH pin get pulled when the trailer becomes disconnected from the truck. ALot of older trailers are not equipped with installed brakes. In our State there is a weight number for any trailer being pulled over public roads requiring Trailer Brakes... Our state also requires a Trailer License Plate and a yearly safety inspection as well...

Just something to check on in your situation... Its a required SAFETY thing in our State. Each State does it differently... Check with your local DOT/DMV office...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

2. kcormier19

kcormier19 New Member

Sep 12, 2017
    massachusetts
    I asked the question to learn from others experience. Sometimes it is not a good idea to be ignorant of options before you set out on your own journey so I thought it was wise to ask.

theseus likes this.
  3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Well put! Most of us encourage questions. There are many things to learn if you only ask....

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Thank you for the answer to my question. Some people also need to ask questions of questions.

5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Not sure if that is a question or a statement?

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    when I camp, I aim for sites with hook ups. The only time I do not have hook up is when I go to rallies.

7. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Member

Aug 1, 2014
    I've never camped with hook ups...but that will change on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
    We're going to a county park that has both. Since we've never been at a site with hookups, and our Niagara has all the bells & whistles, we decided, "What the hell!". The cost wasn't much more, although I suspect the site will be among a flat, denuded section of the park with a sweet view of our neighbor's backside.
    But we'll get more than a Navy shower, no worries about the furnace, and all the 110 electrical appliances the DW would care to bring along.