How safe is Mr Heater Buddy in the pup??

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by 5happycampers, Sep 28, 2009.

  1. 5happycampers

    5happycampers New Member

    159
    1
    Jul 16, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I have a Mr. Buddy Heater that runs on propane canisters. I was wondering if we can't get the heater to run this weekend how safe is the heater in the pup. It says it is okay, but I would like some advice on the subject. I know we have to be careful of the kids and where we put it, but otherwise would it be okay in the camper?? Thanks
     
  2. Mr Zip

    Mr Zip Member

    519
    0
    Jan 2, 2009
    North Ridgeville Ohio
    I have used one in a PUP, No problems, I make sure just to crack a window.
     
  3. Kunk35

    Kunk35 New Member

    118
    0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Texas
    I've used one in a tent several times to stay all warm and toasty, and we used one the last time we boondocked when the battery in the pup didn't last all night long.

    Those things work great and are very safe. Of course, keep stuff away from it, but that goes without saying...
     
  4. Unstable_Tripod

    Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

    14,372
    11
    May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I'd have no qualms about using it when I was awake but I'd NEVER leave it on when I was sleeping.

    Unlike your PUP's furnace, portable propane heaters draw the oxygen they need for combustion from the inside environment, then they discharge their exhaust gases into the environment -- where you are breathing and sleeping. Most of these products say they are OK for use in tents but they probably also say, somewhere in the small print on the packaging or instructions, not to use it while sleeping.
     
  5. campers4life

    campers4life New Member

    91
    0
    Sep 5, 2008
    we use to use one, i did leave it on all night and had no problems. good luck and happy campin.
     
  6. Leyster

    Leyster Revelstoke, B.C.

    343
    2
    Jul 22, 2005
    Revelstoke, B.C.,Canada
    We use one also, we open a window a bit and only use when awake.
     
  7. RJinTO

    RJinTO New Member

    107
    0
    Aug 4, 2008
    Toronto
    I agree with Unstable on this one. Why tempt fate? We use an electric ceramic heater when sleeping because the furnace makes the devils own noise when fired up.
    No safety issues, no worries.
     
  8. sandyaker

    sandyaker Rock Hill, SC

    287
    10
    May 19, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    The following is directly out of the Mr Heater Buddy's Owner's manual posted on their website:

    ODOR FADE WARNING
    Asphyxiation Hazard
    • Do not use in unventilated areas.
    • The flow of combustion and ventilation air must not be obstructed.
    • Proper ventilation air must be provided to support the combustion air requirements of the heater being used.
    • Refer to the specification section of the heater’s manual, heater dataplate, or contact the factory to determine combustion air ventilation requirements of the heater.
    • Lack of proper ventilation air will lead to improper combustion.
    • Improper combustion can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning leading to serious injury or death. Symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headaches, dizziness and difficulty in breathing.


    Although the manual says the heaters can be used in a tent and/or camper, they apparently give off some carbon monoxide. Which is why they say it should not be used in an unventilated area.
    Myself, I don't think I would use one while I'm asleep but would think about it while I'm awake with a window(s) cracked. [2C]
    Scott
     
  9. nhcaveman

    nhcaveman Barrington, NH

    1,235
    9
    Mar 25, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I used mine all last weekend, just be smart and don't run it all night, just warm up the pup, then when you wake up use it to break the chill. Also I kept my roof vent open some, because just from sleeping in there when it's cold you get some condensation if it's not vented, so this helps vent the heater as well.
     
    Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  10. Flyfisherman

    Flyfisherman New Member

    The Mr.BuddyHeater has been the main heat source in the Starcraft since it was new. I heard about the heater in 2000 and picked one up at our local Lowe's Bldg. Supply store. Replaced the original heater three years ago and the older one went over to heating the work bench area in the garage. I've long ago lost count of how many of those disposable canister tanks that we've gone through heating the pup. Sometime back got wise to the cost and now connect the heater to an extra 20 lb refillable tank with one of those Mr.Buddy L/P hoses - and I've lost count on the refills! We've slept many a night with the heater set on the low setting and consider it very safe, i.e., using common sense precautions.

    So many times I've seen the Mr.BuddyHeater referred to as a catalytic heater and, of course, it is not, it is a radiant heater. Catalytic heaters get their heat from a chemical reaction whereas radiant heaters get their heat from an open flame. An important consideration for the Mr.BuddyHeater heater is that it is representative of the newer radiant heater technology where the fuel is burned over a ceramic cube (which gets super hot) and resulting in the process with something like a 99.99% efficiency. Also, the Mr.BuddyHeater has a low oxygen sensor shut-off in case the air supply should get limited. Older radiant heaters where no more than a flame with a reflector behind that flame with the fuel burning efficiency being about the same as the cook stove.

    When I use the Mr.BuddyHeater I crack the popup door panel at the bottom maybe an inch along with each end of the bunk canvas. If I where to rate the heater along safety lines, say on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the least safety risk and 10 the worst ... I would reluctantly rate the heater a 1 for cabon monoxide poisoning, but I'd have to say a 9 for fire. Anytime you have an open flame there has to be great concern where the heater is placed and that nothing gets drooped over the heater while it's in operation. Popup campers can burn to the ground real fast!
     
    Baba Asheri likes this.
  11. Rustyk

    Rustyk New Member

    478
    2
    Jun 20, 2008
    Pa.
    We have a Mr. Buddy big heater and have used it a lot.I just make sure a window is cracked openend. Just make sure nothing lays on top of it while using it we had a sleeping bag burn once. If you get a Big Buddy but the electric transformer for the fan. The batteries dont last very long. Also you might get some condensation in your bunk ends thats normal. It comes from your breath and the cooler air mixing together.
     
  12. outdoorxman

    outdoorxman The mountains are calling me and I must go.

    422
    0
    Jul 31, 2006
    Kansas City Area
    Everyone here says they are very safe just follow common sense when usign them. However I have heard of people burning down their trailers with them so I think the common sense rule is important.

    Phil
     
  13. Bummer72

    Bummer72 Lancaster, PA

    733
    0
    Nov 1, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Two winters of camping, both using my Mr. Heater Buddy, and I'm still here to talk about it.
    I also use a CO detector in conjunction with the Mr. Heater's integral oxygen sensor, which as far as I can tell, is the flame/thermocoupler. When the flame goes out, due to tip over or low O2, it cuts off the gas.

    It's been my understanding that, in an enclosed environment, combustion will not be supported due to low oxygen before CO reaches a hazardous level. (Is there anyone out there who can confirm this???)
     
  14. Crazycoleman

    Crazycoleman It is so much better when you wake up IN the pup!

    142
    0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Henrietta, Tx
    I think using a carbon monoxide detector would be mandatory if you where using a fuel heater of any kind....better yet a smoke/CO detector all in one unit.


    ROb
     
  15. 4s_dad

    4s_dad New Member

    8
    1
    Jan 14, 2008
    Just spent a week + deer hunting, used the big buddy heater all week. Connection to 20 lb tank and a cigarette lighter adapter 12 volt to 6 volt system worked great. Mostly ran on low but would pop up to high to knock off chill. Ran all week on the battery, and probably 1.5 tanks of propane.
     
  16. CamperRob

    CamperRob New Member

    3
    0
    Aug 15, 2017

    You are aware that the Mr Buddy comes with a low oxygen cut off sensor right? Secondly, popups are not even remotely close to airtight with everything zipped up so the very idea that you could die from a lack of oxygen in a popup is sheer ignorance.
     
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  17. inthedirt

    inthedirt Active Member

    840
    66
    Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    You are aware that this post is nearly 8yrs old, right?
     
    Baba Asheri, Yak and crackerJack like this.
  18. crackerJack

    crackerJack Active Member

    815
    87
    Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    The very act of not realizing that is sheer ignorance.
     
  19. Antipodes

    Antipodes Call me Paul

    692
    59
    Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    If you know anything about this subject, it should be the fact the it is not the lack of oxygen that kills with these products!
    Carbon monoxide is the killer and it is a silent innocuous killer!
    Sheer ignorance!

    Oh! And welcome to the portal CamperRob?
     
  20. CamperRob

    CamperRob New Member

    3
    0
    Aug 15, 2017
    You're aware that even 8 years ago they still had these sensors on the Mr Buddy right?
     

Share This Page