How safe is Mr Heater Buddy in the pup??

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by 5happycampers, Sep 28, 2009.

1. CamperRob

CamperRob New Member

Aug 15, 2017
    Ive researched the topic fairly extensively..... I would challenge you to cite one death or seriously poisoning by carbon monoxide with a Mr Buddy.

http://campsafe.org/2015/08/19/fall...fe-and-outdoor-only-portable-propane-heaters/ :

Carbon monoxide dangers can be avoided by using portable heaters that feature an ODS system and are identified as “Indoor Safe” on the packaging and operating instructions. Campers should be cautious to never use any heaters identified as an “outdoor-only” propane-fueled camping product inside a tent, cabin, camper, truck cap, trailer, RV or other enclosure since they burn oxygen faster than available air even when ventilated.
    When air flow is diminished, Carbon Monoxide (CO) remains and can lead to sickness
    and even death.

As I said, the ODS system is in the Mr Buddy to shut the heater off to prevent CO poisoning

2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Our little camper is not remotely air tight and we use the buddy to warm the place up to get into bed. Then again in the morning to get creaky, dated bones a moving again. Great little heater. We usually leave a window slightly opened just a to get ride of moisture

3. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    Cannot for the life of me understand why you would use one of those instead of the heater in the PUP.

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    We have the smaller MR BUDDY HEATER (One Propane canister) for backup heat. This has to sit in a large skillet tray to catch all of the water that runs off of it when being used. Like others are saying I too have venting from the outside which in itself sort of defeats to idea of heating haha.

We too only use it when we are awake. We just get under the covers when we go to sleep. We have the large sleeping bags that are unzipped on the beds... Being avid tent campers from the 60s and 70s that was our big thrill of camping anyway haha... I don't know if if I would use our MR BUDDY heater for any reason if we had small children in the tent trailer. Every now and then you hear of the worse thing happening...

Being off-grid campers the idea of getting up in the cold morning and setting around a nice outside bon-fire drinking my good ole cup of fresh ground and brewed bean coffee watching the fish jump in the creek is the high lite of the day...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    We have a big buddy and a wave-8. I think the wave-8 is safer. But the mr heater has a fan. We only use them when camping with no electric. The mrheater, i have a cigarette lighter 12v to 6v adaptor so i dont need battries to run the fan. Just run it off the rv battery.

Just open the roof vet about on inch to let in freash air.

6. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Because the Mr. Heater Buddy line of heaters use less LPG and don't run the battery down like the factory furnace.

7. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Surprise, AZ
    Not all pups have furnaces installed, ours for instance never included one.

We are looking at installing a furnace but have used a propane heater in our tents and pup, we do have a co detector that we use with it but it's never went off.

Customer and NMroamer like this.