How To Install New Vinyl Flooring-Remove Cabinets?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by zinger60, May 13, 2009.

1. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Northern IN
    We purchased our first pop-up last fall and used it a few times so far. It is a 2002 and in excellent condition except the vinyl floor. It has a slide-out dinette and for some reason, the area all along the floor where the rubber seal from the slide-out sits while closed up, there is a long black mark. It has to be caused by the rubber seal since it is the same length as the slide-out. We are concerned that if we change the tile, it will do the same thing on the new floor. We got some nice sheet vinyl for $15 from an RV dealer that was going out of business. It looks like stone and I think it is what they put in new campers now. Do we use adhesive to put it down? Also, my husband is concerned on how we would cut it close enough to all the edges on the floor without taking out all the cabinets. Is it better to take the cabinets out or just try to be really careful? I want it to look nice but don't want the cabinets damaged by trying to take them out. We have a cabinet for a cassette toilet and a separate one for a shower. The dinette is in the slide-out so that is not a problem. The other cabinets are in the gaucho sofa, kitchen area and a small cabinet next to one of the beds. Any suggestions?

2. dannyoung

dannyoung New Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Try Goo-Gone on the black mark on the floor first, you may not have to replace the floor at all. If you can I would also change the rubber seal to a broom sweep seal instead (looks like a long broom); that won't mark your floor

3. dupreet

dupreet New Member

I agree - try the goo-gone first.

If you go with the new vinyl, keep in mind that your floor will be a 1/16" of an inch higher than the old one....the rubber seal will probably scrape more....you will definitely need to address it to protect the new flooring.

As far are replacing the flooring, I wouldn't pull up the cabinets - such fun should be left to those lucky camper owners that have rotting floorboards and don't really have a choice. Cutting a single piece of vinyl can be tricky. If you aren't a flooring installer, you might want to search one out. Many folks here opt to use the 12"x12" tiles or plank tile flooring for just this reason.

Good Luck!

4. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    If you do use sheet vinyl, remember one word, TEMPLATE. Using construction paper or light cardboard, make a template of the entire floor that fits perfectly before cutting the new vinyl. I wouldn't try taking out the cabinets unless absolutely necessary, too much chance of damage. As was said above though, be sure to address the gasket problem before putting anything in. Good luck.

5. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Northern IN
    You guys are the best! Where would I get one of those different kind of gaskets and would it be hard to install?

6. blderman

blderman New Member

May 4, 2009
    Oregon
    After you install the new floor get some screen mold which is 1/2" x 1/4" wood trim. Use it to trim out the base of all you cabinets and it will cover all of the small gaps you will have with the new vinyl. You could use 3/4" cove too but I think that might be too big inside a tent trailer. I don't know that there is a point to fully gluing it down since the existing vinyl isn't glued. Maybe just the perimeter so it doesn't slide around.

J

7. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser......it works wonders

8. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Northern IN
    If the old vinyl is not glued down, would it be best to take it up or just put the new flooring over the old?

9. dupreet

dupreet New Member

I would tend to leave the old flooring down....it is most likely a full floor sheet so yo would have to cut around all the cabinets/walls to remove. I think a lot of older campers have glued-down flooring.

The one thing to look at is your clearance of cabinet doors, the fridge door, etc. When I put a very low-pile carpet down in my Palomino, I had to 'tweak' the fridge door a little and move one cabinet door up a bit for it to open.

10. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

Mar 8, 2009
    Have you tried any of the black mark removal suggestions yet? If the flooring is in good shape otherwise, I would hate to take on such a project before I tried the black mark removal. I second the magic eraser thing...I have used it for everything (including getting hairspray off of wooden furniture), so you just never know [8D]

11. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Northern IN
    I haven't tried to get the black mark off the floor yet. It's been raining almost everyday and haven't been able to get the camper popped up. The floor is in great shape other than the black mark but we were also wanting to update the flooring. Our pop-up is a 2002 and the flooring style is not that bad but we went to an RV show and saw some of the nice flooring in the campers that looked like stone tile. We loved that and found a piece of it for $15 at an RV dealership that was going out of business. I think we are going to make a template of the floor and see how the new flooring will fit. It it seems like it will not look decent, we will keep what is in there.

12. dannyoung

dannyoung New Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Zinger - If you go to your local Home center or hardware store, you should be able to find the broom type sweeps in the weatherstipping section. They come in 3-4 foot lengths and screw to the bottom of doors. You could also look at the the sweeps for garage doors as they come in longer lengths. If your pull out is close enough to the floor now to leave black marks from the seal I wouldn't add another layer to the floor...cut out the existing vinyl, lay down new and then trim it out with quarter round like one of the other posters suggested.