How to set up a Bag awning for a 1995 Viking pop up?

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Earthfairies, May 11, 2018.

1. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Hello all,

I am hoping someone out there has an older Viking Pop up camper with an original bag awning hardware, and can show me pics of how it needs to be set up, especially with the poles? I think I am missing some of the poles to set this up and not sure how this all works for this type of bag awning.

If anyone out there has a bag awning for a similar older Viking camper please let me know and post some pics on set up. Right now I can't figure it out with the pieces I have. I just purchased this pop up last August 2017 and the girl I bought it from was not help at all. Said she never used it. It does have a screen room which looks like it was never used.

2. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I just tore my bag off my camper the other day. It was already tearing loose and my luck, I'd lose it somewhere on the highway. I've never opened it up, but I did upzip it a little and saw that there are water stains on the canvas. The PO told me it had a screen, but I kinda doubt it. I never thought about it missing parts.

Did you unzip your bag when the roof was up or down? I didn't think I'd be able to manage the awning, but from some video's I've seen, I can open it up while the roof is down and let it drop to the side of the camper. That should also make it easier to close it back up.

3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    trim_line_awning_3.jpg
    If your awning is like what was on the Eagle 12 when we bought it, you should have four or five poles (depending on the width) and another pole in a slot at the edge of the awning farthest from the Pup. At the end of each pole should be a "fitting" of some sort so that they all lock together.

Two poles will go from the ground to the front edge of the awning (There may be a third in the middle depending on the length of the awning) connecting to the single pole built into the awning. These can be seen in the photo. Two poles will attach to the upright poles on the ground and go back to the roof of the pup so that the awning stays extended. Each of these poles, except the one built into the awning are adjustable.

You will also want to use guy lines to tie each corner to a stake in the ground so everything stays put.

I hope this helps.

4. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Winnipeg, Manitoba

Thank you for your help. My awning is off the trailer as the bag was ripping badly. I can unroll it to see that the vinyl fabric is really shot. Rips and worn out patterns. I have the same awning vinyl from my brother in law that just changed out his on his Park Model RV that they sold as the roll out bar had broken. The vinyl was in perfect shape except for some stains but they washed out. I have 20' x 10' of fabric that I will make a new awning for my pup and still have enough fabric to make a new bag as well. My problem is figuring out the pole system which again I am thinking things are missing here.

5. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I hope you post pics of it.

6. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I will try Mamie. I am under the gun to get so much finished as I planned a camping trip starting June 17th. Renovating takes such a long time to fix everything. I need to remove the old furnace but not sure how to do this yet until I get into it and see where the propane line it that is connecting it. Wish me luck on that one as well.

7. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I was hoping I'd be camping by now, but it took me so long to get a title, I'm way behind. I haven't even gotten into the furnace, but I know there's a problem because the PO told me not to use it. Where you are, a furnace isn't an option, it's a necessity. Are you going to replace your thermostat? Digital thermostats are relatively cheap and I like to be able to easily read the temp. I don't think a programmable one is necessary for me, but it is an option.

The receptacles on my camper don't work when I plugged it into shore power. I don't know if I need a new converter or not. This camper is putting me in the poor house and I haven't even started yet.