How to tell when your power converter is dead

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by waterwalker, Aug 9, 2018.

1. waterwalker

waterwalker Member

Oct 2, 2015
    I have a 2000 Starcraft Meteor. I was at a campground and plugged into a 30 amp outlet. Lights and heater worked as did the AC unit. Then the next night nothing electrical worked and nothing has since. I have tried hooking up a battery: nothing. All the fuses (one at the battery and 4 at the power converter) are good. The kill switch under the cabinet is good. I am trying to track down the problem. My suspicion is the power converter went, but with no light on it how can you tell? Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  2. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Are you sure the power was working on the pole itself? Lots of campgrounds have electric issues as well

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    If you don't have power at the pole then the battery could go dead overnight. Start at the pole>then the breakers in the convertor . You may have a loose connection in the cord or the cord connection.

4. waterwalker

waterwalker Member

Oct 2, 2015
    I could have been at the pole, but everyone else had power. I added a battery to the PUP months after the experience at that campground. I also plugged it into the house 110V. Nothing with the house plug and nothing with the battery. I tested the battery and it is fully charged 12.56V. This is why I think it is the converter. It could be a loose wire, but looking at the back of the converter the connections look good.

The two breakers (15A and 20A) on the converter are switched on. I suppose they could have gone bad, but it seems unlikely that both of them would have gone bad. Not sure how to test those.

Keep the ideas coming. Thank you in advance.

5. waterwalker

waterwalker Member

Oct 2, 2015
    This was at the nicest State campground in Colorado and all of my neighbors had power. I didn't have a battery at the time.

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Do you have a multimeter or a test light?

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  7. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    The converter does not change DC to AC. If you aren't plugged in to power you will have no power at the plugs. The converter has nothing to do with the plugs, except provide a place for the breakers. Fuses are for DC only.

If your converter goes, then you have no lights or anything that uses DC power like a water pump.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    If you do not have either on you can get them at HF, in fact the multimeters are give aways
    with the coupon, they also have the test light .

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    On mine there is a panel on the top that is held on by two screws right above where the main power cable comes into the box. Remove it and you can check the wiring where it attaches to the buss. You may also need to remove the steel panel that surrounds the circuit breakers to get to the hot wire. Check for a short or evidence of melting. That was my problem when mine went bad although I also had the distinct smell of melting wiring.

At any rate it will allow you to check for power coming in and then move on down the line to hopefully find the fault.

Is the gfci breaker outlet tripped?

waterwalker likes this.
  10. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I’d still plug it in a home to check. Anything man made can break, to include the pole at your campsite. Regardless, with electric, it’s a process of narrowing down the potential causes.

waterwalker likes this.
  11. waterwalker

waterwalker Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Will check that.
    GFCI breaker not tripped.

12. waterwalker

waterwalker Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Correct on the converter does not change DC to AC, but even when not plugged into shore power, the battery should still give me lights and the furnace, which it is not doing. No electricity when plugged into shore power and no lights/furnace when just on battery.

13. waterwalker

waterwalker Member

Oct 2, 2015
    I have a multimeter

14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    . No electricity when plugged into shore power and no lights/furnace when just on battery.[/QUOTE]

unless the battery is dead

15. waterwalker

waterwalker Member

Oct 2, 2015
    unless the battery is dead[/QUOTE]

multimeter shows 12.56V at the battery