How to wire standard receptacle..wires are compressed into back? Pic attached

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Donald Zahner, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Pozi

Pozi Member

Feb 17, 2016
    When I rebuilt my Palomino the only receptacle I found with the "speed box" type was at the refrigerator. All the others were regular house type with screw terminals. I simply replaced the crappy one with a new. Was able to gain enough slack since I had all the wires out anyway.

2. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    I too replaced all of my outlets with standard household type with screws..it was maybe $5 in all (old work boxes, outlets and faceplates). Luckily my rockwood had enough slack in the wires.

3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Another Problem I have run into trying to reuse those type connections being that the original pinch creases the wiring and you may find like me just a little pulling on the wires cause them to break off at the crease. Then you have to install a pvc junction box and rewire to get some more length. I replace those with the standard screw type receptacles where I can...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

4. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    +2 these outlets are fine. Just don't play with them. Plus, I believe if you take the wires off you should not reuse the outlet. You should install a new one. Something to do with the tension on a reused clip is not the same as a new one.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    I've reused them, but make sure to move the wire connection at least 1/8" to make a new cut through the insulation and wire. Trying to use the old notch makes a weak connection that can develop into resistance, voltage drop, and a hot spot.

6. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Not truly relevant to the conversation at hand, but the original topic, I was taught eons ago...(I think it was on
    a slate w/chalk?) that the easiest way to remember how to wire a rec. was "Black Gold". After 30 years, any time
    I need to change out a plug, I say to myself 'black gold' in order to get the wires on the correct side of the box.
    Of course in my particular case, I can't help to add "texas tea" in deference to The Beverly Hillbillies.

Spridle likes this.
  7. Spridle

Spridle Member

Jun 6, 2011
    I had no idea those were a real thing, first I ever saw one like that. I do remember from my code classes that there was strict limits as to how much insulation was allowed inside the box, the fact that these basically have all the insulation intact was the main thing that caught my eye, with the crappy connection itself being secondary. If they are that widely used then they must have proven themselves to be safe, even if they give me uncomfortable feelings. Carry on.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I won't reuse these devices. If I have to replace a recept, I replace the box. Even though they meet code, I never liked them. I replace them with a steel city old work box with wings