Huntington Beach State Park

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by GalsofEscape, Aug 16, 2015.

1. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Dates Aug 8 thru Aug 15, 2015
    Site: 118
    Rating, pretty darn good -we will go back

We completed the pre-registration prior to our arrival, so the check-in was fast and efficient. Our site was in the back section in the woods, recommend these sites if you prefer seclusion. The campground was full, but was quiet the entire week. There is no alcohol allowed in the park or on the beach. The bathhouses were clean but small, only two showers in the Women's side (no guys with us, so cannot comment on the mens side.) there are three bathhouses located in the campground. Raccoons were around so very important to keep your site clean and trash taken to the dumpster frequently. We had a table turned over in the middle of the night by one of the rascals looking around even though all our food was in the car and we had no trash in our site..... also saw one searching through the bed of a pickup. We had an ant problem, barrier spray worked well for them but had to treat the stabilizers, power cord, clothes line, tires and hitch. Had to make sure nothing leaned on the camper (they quickly made a trail up a beach chair leaning on the hitch).

There are two beach access walkways from the campground, so could walk to the beach from our site. The beach was not crowded around the campground access point, the beach area near the day use parking lot was a bit more crowded. The water was warm and not rough. Dogs are allowed on certain sections of the beach, they must remain on leash. The park offers many activities and gives you a schedule for the week. We were busy all week and did not get to everything that was offered. We did the tour of the Huntington house, alligator tour, the nature center feeding frenzy, and the ghost tour. We biked around as well, there is a paved bike trail going into Murrell's inlet. If you are the artist type, Brookgreen Gardens is well worth a visit, the huge collection of statues through the gardens are very nice. The small zoo is also there featuring several exhibits of native species. The entry fee is good for seven days, so you can go back throughout the week as often as you like.

There are alot of restaurants close by and several grocery stores within 3 miles of the park, so easy to pick up anything forgotten.

The downside for us was it took 12 hours for us to get there from Baltimore and was not any better getting home. Have to find a better way to get down there.

2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I was just down there myself aug 3-8. Just missed you , stsyed at mrtlye beach KOA. But stopped and explored Huntington beach, we too had a small ant problem, must be common. This time of year, did some beaches , fishing in murrells inlet, and went to Charleston for the day. Made a stop of two on the drive, made a long drive more bearable.

3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    I saw your posts and figured we may pass you headed north as we went South. Had a great time. We were also thinking of breaking up into a two day trip for our sanity next time.

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Active Member

Love and recommend Huntington Beach SP. Agree with the back loop being the preferred sites. Brookgreen Gardens is one of our favorite places to visit. Been there maybe a half dozen times.

5. SBradley

SBradley Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Just returned from Huntington Beach site 41 about 1 week ago; the ants invaded the camper. This was my first long road trip in the PUP and never thought about this as a potential problem.

Being my first long haul with the PUP I broke the trip up in two days. I really liked the area, and the campground beach was beautiful and never crowded. The first two nights however there was an inescapable foul odor. Thankfully the odor did not return on day 3 and thereafter. I'm not a wimp, but it was so bad I felt nauseous and would not have continued my stay if the odor remained. One person explained that the odor had to do with the tides and the marsh area, but it smelled like sewage so I don't know if that makes sense to me.

Without the odor, this campground gets two thumbs up.

6. Baba Asheri

Baba Asheri New Member

Jul 5, 2017
    August 13 - 18, 2017
    Site 105
    I really meant to take some pictures of the site empty. Sorry.
    It is a nice site. Shaded nearly all day and nothing but woods on two sides. A 5 ft hill with light woods separated is from the shore to the east. Wall of mature trees line the opposite side on the one way paved road in front. Very low vehicle traffic since it's on the back loop. But, not much breeze because it's so enclosed back there. We noticed nice breezes at the sites that are in the open when we had none. But, shade and woods were our sought amenities.
    If you venture out one foot from the site into the woods, you'll hit spider webs. Don't be scared, even when you see the size of the spiders. You can walk up to them actually and they are quite intricate and calm (without a disturbed web). Just expect the webs.
    We were equidistant from the central and back loop bath houses. The staff there worked hard every morning around 7am to clean them. The central one has been renovated with new windows, tiles, fixtures, etc, and it's even air conditioned. Nice.
    Mosquitoes were expected levels.
    Ants are very invasive if you don't take preventative measures such as barriers on your tongue jack, stabilizers, etc.
    The northern beach access trail is only 4 or 5 sites east from the site. It was rare that we DIDN'T see a gator or two under the trail bridge over the marsh, 3ish feet long.
    Gift shop has decent selection of essentials, but at a premium. Expect 12-15 min to the nearest grocery store. Walmart supercenter is within that distance with a decent RV section. Good seafood restaurants are in that range, too, as well as the great-priced SC gas. We filled up for $1.98/gal at Kangaroo/BP just north of the park entrance. DSC_0277-1280x720.JPG DSC_0292-720x1280.JPG DSC_0293-1280x1706.JPG DSC_0278-1280x720.JPG DSC_0273-1280x720.JPG DSC_0297-1280x720.JPG DSC_0295-1280x720.JPG DSC_0294-1280x720.JPG

JPBar likes this.
  7. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Looks like you had a great time!

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    We have stayed there many time as well... I like the idea of the woods just off the beach where we park our POPUP trailer and a short walk to the Beach... Good shade for us... We have family down that way and we all try to get to Myrtle Beach Area in the Sep-Oct time frame each year for mini family get together...

We get those small ants anywhere we stay in the Myrtle Beach area, Most often our return trip is going to the smoky mtns at Gatlingburg TN. on the way home to Virginia... No telling how many small ants we have relocated to the Smoky Mtns haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Baba Asheri likes this.
  9. Baba Asheri

Baba Asheri New Member

Jul 5, 2017
    We have a colony in the TV because of the kids' messy snacking! They may make it back to Indiana with us next week

Oh, BTW everyone... the nature/education center is closed. By the words of a ranger, "it got struck by lightening last year and burnt to the ground. We're doing fundraising now to rebuild it." There's no current expected completion date.