Hydro Flame HF 8012 pilot goes out

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Jolson424, May 16, 2017.

1. Jolson424

Jolson424 Member

May 1, 2016
    MN
    Hello, on our latest trip I found our pilot goes out after the furnace runs and the camper gets up to temp and the burner shuts off. I count about 15 seconds after the fan turns off when the pilot goes out. I've adjusted the pilot screw (which was closed fully initially) all the way to loose, testing in half-turn increments, which didn't help. I can't see in the tiny (1/8") hole to see flame size or it's location to the thermocouple.
    I did figure out, that if I just left the thermostat on the highest setting, it just ran all night so no stoppage of the fan, nor the pilot going out and it stayed warm (surprisingly not hot, but not really surprising since a pop-up isn't sealed real well)
    Can I remove the thermocouple/striker/etc as I have in the attached pic, and light the pilot to see what that flame looks like and its relation to the thermocouple?
    I've looked online to possibly replacing the thermocouple but can't find any source, any idea of where to possibly locate?
    Is there any other possible issue I may be overlooking?

Attached Files:

2. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    That should be a standard thermocouple that is available at any hardware store.

3. Jolson424

Jolson424 Member

May 1, 2016
    MN
    Thanks for the reply. I would assume that lighting the pilot with the whole contraption out (like in the pic) to view the pilot flame would be OK? Just to be sure it's enveloping the thermocouple as it should?

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    probably against ever possible warning but if the valve is set to pilot and pushed in the gas valve should not open and only the pilot would operate. Taking the next step (setting the thermo very low) and turning the gas valve to on while observing if the pilot stays lit is probably against ever possible warning also!

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hydroflameold2.pdf

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  5. Jolson424

Jolson424 Member

May 1, 2016
    MN
    I would not try to turn it to "ON", only to Pilot to see the flame.
    The more I think about this, how would a bad thermocouple cause the pilot flame to go out? Wouldn't that always stay lit unless there is not enough gas/pressure to feed the flame? Or does the thermocouple control the pilot too?

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    the link provided suggest 7 mili volt or something if you test the temocouple, its got to have a flame to do that!

A draft when the burner shuts off may be your culprit.

The reason ya hold the pilot button in for a while is so the thermocouple gets hot enough to produce some power this lets the pilot stay on once the button is released. This is the safety feature, it the thermo does not produce enough power the pilot goes out and the gas valve never opens.

7. Jolson424

Jolson424 Member

May 1, 2016
    MN
  8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    at least 7 mili volt, I thought all thermocouple are the same but that may be wrong, well past my pay grade.

9. Boatnman

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Wow, the stuff you can learn on the internet...

A Type K thermocouple is the most common type of thermocouple and its millivolt output varies based on temperature. See: http://www.thermocoupleinfo.com/type-k-thermocouple.htm Another site provides this regarding a Type K thermocouple: "This is the most common thermocouple type that provides the widest operating temperature range. Type K thermocouples generally will work in most applications because they are nickel based and have good corrosion resistance." None of the sites I looked at gave any mention to the millivolt output in the description of the thermocouples - the sites just gave charts like the one shown in the above link. Whenever I've replaced a thermocouple on my water heater or boiler for our home, I've just bought one off the rack at the hardware store making sure I had the right length - without being concerned with anything else.

MORNING EDIT: The "type" of a thermocouple is determined by the materials it is made of.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  10. Jolson424

Jolson424 Member

May 1, 2016
    MN
    After putting in the replacement from Menards, my pilot wouldn't even light. I just put the old back in and ran it continuously for the weekend. Pretty sure the wife wants a hard side so this may no longer be my issue to remedy any longer.

11. Boatnman

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Interesting. The thermocouple wouldn't prevent it from lighting, it's there just to keep it lit. It should light even without a thermocouple being present.

I'm not doubting what happened. I'm just interested in why it happened - but not expecting you to figure it out.

12. Jolson424

Jolson424 Member

May 1, 2016
    MN
    Yeah I'm not sure. I adjusted the pilot screw, had everything apart and cleaned out for plugs, and nothing. Had gas at the stovetop above but never would light. As soon as I put the old back in it lit right up. I could have been doing something wrong or possibly had something not right...but not sure what it could have been....pretty straight forward.